BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Think about these

rookie1ja

#5--Today's temp is 0 c, so it will be 32 f, when 32 f is divided by 2, we get 16 f....When we convert 16f to c we get -8.8999 C..So this is the answer.

#7--When we got at the speed of light\, no light source will be visible to us..so if we switch on the lights.light will get trapped and will not come out of its exact source.

This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

Have you seen the episode of futurama where fry goes back in time and kills with his grandfather, but slept with his grandmother therefore becoming his own grandfather!!!

• 2 weeks later...

7. First of all, according to general relativity, nothing can move at the speed of light, and nothing can exceed the speed of light. There's no such thing as "above the speed of light". With that concluded, number 7 is deemed impossible.

Your objection to "above the speed of light" is debatable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster_than_light). Besides, there are times in modern developments when we consider "was Einstein wrong", unless you suggest physicists have learned nothing since him.

2. It is possible to drown in the fountain of life. in order to be granted eternal life you must drink from the fountain. meaning water must go into your stomach....yes? so if you drown. meaning water is in your lungs. it would be totally possible to die. for example say someone duct taped your mouth closed and tied you up then threw you into the fountain. no way to ingest the water and eventually be forced to inhale the water through your nose...drown or to not breath at all... suffocate.

gg son.

SORRY NEWBIE, BUT I MUST RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE! REGARDING NUMBER 5 (I THINK!), THE QUESTION ON THE TEMPERATURE @ ZERO AND IF TWICE THAT TOMORROW, WHAT WILL THE TEMPERATURE BE? IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU USE C OR F TO MEASURE THE DEGREE BECAUSE AT ZERO, BOTH C AND F MEASURE THE SAME...ZERO! THEN IF YOU USE THE KELVIN SCALE, THAT WOULD PUT YOU AT ABSOLUTE ZERO AND SINCE NOTHING CAN EVER BE COLDER THAN ABSOLUTE ZERO (BECAUSE THAT IS THE TEMPERATURE AT WHICH ALL ATOMIC MOTION CEASES AND IS, BY DEFINITION, THE COLDEST POSSIBLE TEMPERATURE), THERE CAN BE NO TEMPERATURE EXISTING AT TWICE ABSOLUTE ZERO. SO, WE HAVE A READING AT ABSOLUTE ZERO WHICH DOESN'T WORK BECAUSE WE CAN NOT HAVE A TEMPERATURE TWICE THAT AND WE HAVE A CELSIUS READING OF ZERO AND A FAHRENHEIT READING OF ZERO. I THINK THAT THERE IS NO CORRECT ANSWER BECAUSE THE QUESTION IS FLAWED ITSELF. THE QUESTION ASKS WHAT WILL THE TEMPERATURE BE IF IT IS TWICE THE EXISTING TEMPERATURE OF ZERO. THE PROBLEM IS, THAT AT ZERO, WE CAN GO IN THE NEGATIVE DIRECTION OR THE POSITIVE DIRECTION. THE FLAW IN THE QUESTION IS THAT IT DOES NOT ASK IN WHICH DIRECTION TO GO: POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE. IN ANY EVENT, I BELIEVE THE TEMPERATURE AT TWICE ZERO WOULD STILL REMAIN UNCHANGED BECAUSE 0 TIMES 0 = 0. SO THERE YOU HAVE IT FOLKS....THAT'S THE CORRECT ANSWER!!!!

Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life? I think the qualities of the fountain of eternal life have to be defined first. My guess is that the fountain of eternal life means that you will live forever and not die of any NATURAL causes. By natural, I mean any sickness, disease or just plain getting old. However, protection from the fountain of eternal life, in my book, does NOT protect one from being hit by a tractor trailer!!! Since the fountain of eternal life does not protect a person from trauma (by MY definition), it also will NOT protect and individual from drowning. So, can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life? Absolutely!!!

1. I guess we shall see which product had the better engineering team!

2. Yes.

3. Yes, but then I failed the mission.

4. When the girl killed her grandmother she created an offshoot reality where her grandmother dies and she isn't born, but the girl still comes from the reality where her grandmother wasn't killed and she was still alive.

5. Obviously someone at the weather network should be fired because that's a statement that gives no actual indication of coldness without a comparison.

6. I created a time machine, brought myself back to say at the same time yes and no.

7. Not possible, but probably you would explode.

8. Kinda hard for something that doesn't exist to lift anything.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Both can not exist. Either there is a bullet that pierces any armor, or there is an armor that stops any bullet, or each bullet has an armor that stops it and each armor has a bullet that pierces it. These are the only three possibilities, and they are mutually exclusive. I do not know which is true.

2. If the fountain has already bestowed eternal and unextinguishable life upon him, then no. He can live underwater, just as he can live in outer space or on the surface of the sun. If drinking from the fountain is a prerequisite for being granted eternal life, then yes. He can drown by filling his lungs with the water and not swallowing any of the water.

3. I can accept and fail, or decline and succeed. Personally I choose the latter.

4. Let us assume that time travel is possible and that there is a single time line, for this paradox to make sense. Then there are two possibilities; either it is perfectly possible to be alive without ever having been born (the girl was never born but exists anyway, she was raised by a woman who is considered to be her mother and then she went back in time and killed her grandmother), or it is impossible for the girl to do said action (preventing her own birth). Some things just can not be done. If the girl's own existence is sufficient proof that her birth took place at some point in time, any attempt to change this fact would be futile. There are many conceivable ways for the girl to kill her grandmother, but none that would prevent herself from being born.

5. We would need an absolute scale of coldness to answer the question.

6. You say I must answer yes or no, hence you are limiting my set of possible answers. Both are false, so I can not answer truthfully. It is like saying "answer truthfully (5 or 6), what is 2+2?"

7. The laws of physics that we currently hold as true do not allow for a car to travel at the speed of light. Hence the question can not be answered using those same laws.

8. The laws of physics that we currently hold as true do not contain any being known as God Almighty. But let us accept the concept of being almighty as being able to do anything that can possibly be done, and let us also accept that there is a being called God who is almighty. Then either it is possible to make a stone that is not possible to lift, or it is not possible to make such a stone. So depending on which of these possibilities is true, God Almighty would either make the stone and be unable to lift it, or be unable to make the stone in the first place. No paradox here unless being almighty would involve being able to do what can not be done. Then we certainly have a whole lot of obvious paradoxes.

#7: I see none of you understand this completely. When you turn on the lights, you as the driver, will see them shooting out with speed of light. A bystander will see it accumulate before the driver just as Incognitum said (he will not get hit if he's no in the way, but then he wont be able to see, without light getting to him, but just theoretically...). Why is this possible? Light never travels faster then the speed of light (there's no such thing as twice the speed of light), yet as the driver going with speed of light, you'll see the light going with speed of light. The answer is: the time. When you are going with the speed of light, the time freezes, it does not pass. So you need to travel an unlimited distance to notice a fraction of time. In an unlimited time, light going in same direction will be able to get away from you with the speed of light.

Its a bit hard to understand this, so lets not talk about the exact speed of light (we cant achieve it anyway, because we would need unlimited energy), just a near speed of light speed. If you travel with such speed time does not freeze, but it still passes very slow. Not for you, you don't notice anything, but a bystander will see you in slow motion. So if the time passes slower, a smaller speed for you will seem bigger, this is why the small difference between the speed of light and your speed will seem just as big as the speed of light, because you are observing it for a shorter time (time goes slower, fewer things happen to you as for a bystander).

This is the law of relativity. The time is not constant, it's relative to the speed. So this is not a paradox. It was one, before Einstein, it isn't now.

Edited by lil-Dexx

• 3 weeks later...

#1 They will both break

#2 Yes..

#3 No.

#4 She killed the wrong person, thinking it was her grandmother, or became her own grandmother.

#5 0* maybe

#6 I see what you did there.

#7 They'll either turn on eventually, but you'll not be able to see them.

#8 Challenge Declined! Due to atheism.

• 2 weeks later...

#1) They negate themselves, (Hypothectically)

#2) No! Because it is not a Liquid!!

#3) Are you for Real? That is pretty obtuse..

#4) Why her Grandmother and not her Mother? Are you an idiot? If a person does not exist in this time frame how would they be able to give birth to another?

#5) Are you speaking of Centigrade or Farenhite. C° x 2 doubled less..

You are an Athieist a**..

1: The bullet slowly, but surely, moves closer to the edge, and then flies forward again, breaks time travelling logic, and kills hitler. Win win win.

2: No one said it was deep water. Yes, but due to the ETERNAL LIFE POWERS we would revive and pull our heads out of the water.

3: No. And since I did not accept, what does that mean? I CANNOT FAIL IT BECAUSE I DID NOT ACCEPT IT!

4: Was a mercy killing, so she didn't die of cancer, which the girl saw AS A KID. It does not say it was a child who went back, but a girl. It was moments before her grandma's death BEFORE. A crime boss was convicted. WIN

5: The weather channel is wrong. I mean, it happens all the time.

6: My answer is....NO! Well? The next word I said was "my", not "no". I WIN.

7: Nothing happens, BECAUSE...the headlights are BROKEN!

8: Someone named he finds the rock and cannot lift it. YEAAAAA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The answer is: the time. When you are going with the speed of light, the time freezes, it does not pass. So you need to travel an unlimited distance to notice a fraction of time. In an unlimited time, light going in same direction will be able to get away from you with the speed of light.

If time freezes when traveling at the speed of light, how does light travel? And how come there is such thing as a light year?

Think about these - Back to the Paradoxes

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

If the bullet hits the armor, the armor is then deflected out of the way. The bullet still went "through" the armor, as it passed through the space the armor occupied. The armor itself was not penetrated and is still claimed to be bullet-proof.

2. Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?

Two answers: A) No, eternal life means he must live so he cannot drown.

B) Yes, he will forever be known as the man that drowned in the fountain of eternal life and his reputation/feat will live on eternally.

3. Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?

Yes, I accept it. And I lost

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

She was adopted and never knew.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

It is twice the difference that it was from yesterday to today. Twice as cold is relative, and it is relative to the previous day.

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

yes (I said it outloud)

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

Since initial speed is already the speed of light, the light would be emanating from a moving source, therefore the light particles/waves would be traveling at twice the speed of light, or due to your perspective from the moving vehicle, the speed of light.

8. I conclude with this challenge:

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

Since God is not a physical manifestation he cannot lift anything himself. He has the powers for everything to be lifted/moved.

So he can create a stone which he himself cannot pick up.

In answer to number 8, if God creates a stone he cannot lift, he will cease to be God, therefore it will not happen, therefore it cannot and will not be done. Also, you can't drown if you're alwys alive. Problem solved!

there are a lot of answers to #3 but i still haven't heard "i accept, but must admit defeat" i know kinda lame but it works the question isn't will you succeed its will you accept

there are a couple of people who are close to answering #7 correctly but never fully explain themselves.

it is impossible. once you hit the speed of light you obtain infinite mass and with that mass comes infinite gravitational pull, thus making a black hole. at that point your headlights no longer exist (and neither do you for that matter)

and i haven't seen one post that came close to answering #8

lifting is relivent to the direction up (you cant lift something down or right or left, you push/pull down and move/push/pull sideways)the direction up is relitive to gravity (even if your doing a head stand, at noon the sun is above you not below you)

so if God Almighty created a rock where there is no gravity then it would be impossible to lift for the lack of the dirrection up

and i haven't seen one post that came close to answering #8

lifting is relivent to the direction up (you cant lift something down or right or left, you push/pull down and move/push/pull sideways)the direction up is relitive to gravity (even if your doing a head stand, at noon the sun is above you not below you)

so if God Almighty created a rock where there is no gravity then it would be impossible to lift for the lack of the dirrection up

So if lifting depends o gravity, and we believe the big bang/big crunch theory, then there is always a central point of gravity and always an up.

I also originally heard the paradox as a stone so large god could not move it.

I love how all our paradox responses are semantic in nature.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I was as smart as these other people but I'll try anyways

1. maybe half of the bullet would penetrate it...

2. you wouldnt drown.

3. you would fail epicly :duh:

4. it would be a circle

5. -2 cause hes saying it would be double the cold

6. if you say no your wrong, but if you say yes wrong too, but if you say i dont know, technichly your right ;)

7. the headights would twice as far

8. he would make a rock and swear to never to pick it up, since he is a good person he would not go against his word.

With the speed of light car one, the headlights would shine out in front like normal because the speed of light is relative to the observer, any an all observers will view light goin the speed of light.

For the neutrios link guy, their ability to go faster was disproven. The bulls is like "unstoppable force meets immovable object." Unstopable force would have infinite kinetic energy, and the immovable object, infinite mass. Neither can in any way exist in a finite universe.

Their ability to go faster wasn't disproven.

A competing scientist made a counter-claim based on traditional experiments.

The OPERA experiment and Icarus experiment are measuring the same thing with different methods.

OPERA focuses on speed, Icarus focuses on energy.

OPERA claimed to see a faster than light speed, while Icarus results showed that the neutrino did not lose any energy.

The Icarus team claims that anything moving faster than the speed of light needs to lose energy, as shown by experiments with particles travelling faster than light through a medium (like water, since light is slowed considerably in water).

They believe that particles going faster than the speed of light would have something comparable to a sonic boom, except they would expunge electrons and protons.

So, the rebuttal claimed by the Icarus team is based on the entrenched theories and doesn't actually disprove the results by OPERA.

But if you wish to believe a naysayer just because they said so, be my guest.