BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Think about these

rookie1ja

2. Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?

No. One can't drown in "eternal life". A fountain, by definition, need not contain water or other substance in which one could drown. The "substance" or "force" coming from the fountain is eternal life, not something in which one could drown.

1. they really can't both be telling the truth

2.it's a fountain of LIFE not INMORTALITY so you will drown but at least your body will stay for ever

3.it's hard to explain but i think the answer is no, i mean you don't HAVE to take it.

4. sooner or later she'll either relize that she will die or life will go on with her dissapering overnight; I tryed to explain that to my friend but i think it goes in one ear and comes out the other...

5.well it'll deffenately will be something below 0, maybe -1

6.i dunno

1. they really can't both be telling the truth

2.it's a fountain of LIFE not INMORTALITY so you will drown but at least your body will stay for ever

3.it's hard to explain but i think the answer is no, i mean you don't HAVE to take it.

4. sooner or later she'll either relize that she will die or life will go on with her dissapering overnight; I tryed to explain that to my friend but i think it goes in one ear and comes out the other...

5.well it'll deffenately will be something below 0, maybe -1

6.i dunno

2. With regard to your answer to this question, first, the definition of immortality is eternal life, and vice versa. Second, to drown, there must be a liquid. A fountain of eternal life as the question is posed does not necessarily contain a liquid. A fountain of any kind need not contain a liquid e.g., Harvard University is a fountain of knowledge. You cannot drown in knowledge, and you can't drown in some force called eternal life.

I apologize for not making myself more clear in my earlier post.

Edited by juancortina

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

It says it CAN puncture the armour. Since anything else would be a paradox, it would have to either bounce off the armour or miss it.

Edited by Thinker Girl

My theory for number 1 is that the two things are living in different dimensions, so it would be impossible for the bullet to destroy the armour because there is no such machine to change dimensions... YET!

My theory for number 2 is that the man can't drown in the fountain of eternal life, because when he enters it, nothing can kill him. In other words he becomes IMMORTAL.

My theory for number 3 is that you not accept the mission, otherwise it would be a paradox. If you didn't accept the mission, you wouldn't be able to complete it.

My theory for number 4 is that the daughter goes into the past she would see the baby version of herself. If she killed the grandmother, the baby wouldn't disappear. So the baby gets older, goes into the past, but since the grandmother was still alive in the past of the past, then the babies growing would be doomed to kill the grandma over and over again.

My theory for number 5 is that it doesn't say that you didn't have a thermometor and the Weather Channel was talking about your state/city, so number 5 is simply possible.

My theory for number 6 is that the answer would only be true if you could answer MAYBE or MAYBE NOT.

My theory for number 7 is that you couldn't turn the headlights on becauseif you go too fast the controls turn into a blur.

My theory for number 8 is make a rock, put indestructible unremovable sticks as tall as the rock right around the rock, then put an indestructible unremovable roof on top of it, then simply, he wouldn't be able to lift it because it's stuck inbetween the roof and the floor.

Also my second theory for number 7 if you do turn the lights on, the lights will be trapped on the front of the car, but then the car wouldn't be faster than the lights so you have to turn the lights off to make the statement true so truely the question is wrong, but a question can't be right or wrong so is that a paradox?

• 3 weeks later...

this question, if possibe would cause a rift in time because once u killed ur grandmother u never existed meaning she never died meaning u were born to go back in time to kill her so time would be in an infinite loop forever always repeating the same space of time.

Wrong… i think… well, anyways, assuming that time travel is possible in the first place, time being in an infinite loop forever always repeating the same space of time is simply impossible! for then one wouldn't be able to time travel if everything was in the same loop not moving forward… darn that didn't make sense. if she killed her grandmother a different "flow of time" would be created leaving the girl alive and able to live in the new "flow of time" (theory coming from back to the future)

1- the unstoppable bullet would bounce off the impenetrable armor and continue on reditrected(or vise versa depending on the size of the bullet) and both would remain intact.

2- there is no such thing as death to those with eternal life

3- Absolutely not

4- If the girl is there to kill her grandma, she was clearly born. if she kills grandma, she will still be standing over her corpse after the fact. its not like shes just gonna dissapear like a ghost (she is made of the same matter as any other person, which doesnt really just vanish). paradoxes like this, though, just add to the impossibility of the existence of "time".

5- what the hell does the weather channel know? they have idiots that say it will be twice as cold as 0, itll probably be 55 and sunny.

6- yes... i mean, no!... yes?...

7- you would never see your headlights, because they would never get far enough in front of you... and they might blow the bulbs... all that light (energy) heating up the bulbs and just gathering right at the source. no i dont think they would last very long either.

8- God is *everything and everything is God. God is you, god is me, and we are Him. He is the energy of the soul, and the soul itself... (pretty inspirational, huh :) ) ... and god is definitely that rock that even God cant pick up. so there ya go. in an infinite universe with infinite time anything is possible, everything exists, and everything has/is/will already happen/ed/ing

Edited by galo404

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

I know I'm getting theoretical, but couldn't this be similar to matter/antimatter? Annihilation? The bullet and armor are both destroyed. The conditions never say anything about the items staying intact. If both are destroyed at the point of impact, the bullet pierced the armor (by destroying it at the point of impact) and the armor wasn't pierced because the bullet was destroyed at impact. If that makes sense.

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

This is a linear problem. If you believe that no grandma = no grandkid, then it all depends on when the killing happened. Assuming we mean before the girl was born. I think that if the girl goes into the past, she will continue to exist until the moment her grandmother dies. So she would be able to, in my interpretation, kill her grandmother in the past.

All the others were answered already, pretty well I might add. I had nothing to add to them, so I didn't waste your time or mine. =)

• 3 weeks later...

ANSWER: depends on which one is made first..the one made latter will have needed to test against "everything"...therefore, the one made last will prevail

ANSWER: yes, he suffocates from it, but doesnt drink it

3. Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?

ANSWER: easy, NO. if the "primary" mission is not accepting it, then dont accept the "presented mission" at all...although the outcome coincides with the primary objective, it doesnt mean you accepted the mission

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

ANSWER: the fact that the girl exists means she failed to kill her grandmother

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

ANSWER: zero kelvin? celsius? or fahrenheit? if Kelvin then it cannot be twice as cold...if celcius or fahrenheit, it will be twice as cold

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

ANSWER: hmmm, im stumped :X

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

ANSWER: headlights still moves at speed of light as if driver was stationary....please look up Einsteins theory of relativity

8. I conclude with this challenge:

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

ANSWER: God only creates, never touches.

Edited by benpon8317

• 2 weeks later...

As for number 2: The answer is no.

For wether it exists or not:

Because if there isn't such a fountain then obviously you can't drown in it.

Or if there is a fountain of eternal life then there wouldn't be such a thing as drown

Not a problem. God creates a pebble and then declares "I shall never pick it up". He is capable of lifting it, but can not break his promise. Conditions met.

How to disprove god:

after god has stated "I shall never pick it up"

He later wants to move it but cannot. Then finally; there is an instance of something god can't do. At this point he either is not all knowing, or not all powerful.

Where is your god now?

To avoid this one might say god can never speak in absolutes because they dont exist.

But then god isnt all creating is he?

Edited by novah

• 2 weeks later...

#4 is a moot question. There is only one time line going in only one direction in a 3-dimensional universe. If & when someone discovers a way to go into additional dimensions which might contain more diverse or more than one timeline, only then will we be able to know the answer to this question.

Forgive me for being a little :offtopic: here, but I'm really very curious, I'd like someones opinion on this: In what dimension would you have to exist before you could travel through time?

God could create a stone, and then destroy it. Since it no longer exists, if he wants to lift a stone, he has to make a new one.

Um what? No. The (properly posed) question asks if an all-powerful god could create a stone which has the property of being beyond his power to lift.

#4 is a moot question. There is only one time line going in only one direction in a 3-dimensional universe.

That does seem to be the case for this universe, which is at least a four dimensional one. Time itself being the fourth dimension.

Forgive me for being a little :offtopic: here, but I'm really very curious, I'd like someones opinion on this: In what dimension would you have to exist before you could travel through time?

"In what dimension" isn't really a comprehensible question. I take it you mean a reality with how many dimensions. And that too is really a complex question (a form of logical fallacy) as it assumes the number of dimensions is the key. According to my (admittedly extremely limited) understanding of the relevant science (quantum mechanics and string theory) the thing about the time dimension is not so much that it can only be travelled along in one dimension due to the number of other dimensions, but due to its unique nature/shape. What would probably be required then is a temporal dimension of a different nature. But no one really knows how time or the dimension we call time actually works, its all kind of a mystery. We know THAT we seem limited in one direction, unlike that of the three "large" spatial ones, but not why.

And who knows perhaps other beings perceive the dimensions vastly differently.

The paradox question posed however is a hypothetical in which it is assumed possible to time travel somehow (perhaps by traversing beyond our universe or making use of other dimensions - the point is that it doesn't matter in the framework of the question; if, somehow, even by 'magic' it happened, what affect would it have? The real answer of course is no one knows.

• 2 weeks later...

With regard to the first statement: this sort of problem arrises in theoretical physics. At the time of the bullet exiting the gun both premises are correct as there is no theoretical way of testing them. As soon as the bullet interacts with the armour, one of the premises becomes false. It's a similar situation to that of Schrödinger's Cat.

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armor, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armor?

It probably goes through it but not through it at the same time. It will pass through it, but it changes nothing from the time it goes in to the time it goes out, so its as if nothing has happened at all.

That would be awesome.

3. Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?

I might.

Unless time is more like a tree than a single line.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

Ah, now this i have a good story about. Its Answer and Argument time!

Answer: Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Argument: Fahrenheit.

Answer: -31.999719999999996 degrees Fahrenheit.

Argument: No…what? How did you get that from 0 x 2?

Answer: Why are you multiplying 0 by 2? Obviously that wont get you anywhere. Convert it to Celsius, however, and you get -35.5554, which then converts to Fahrenheit as -31.999719999999996.

Argument: You can’t do that!

Answer: Why not? It’s not like the universe will explode if I use Celsius instead of Fahrenheit.

Argument: You can only use one scale.

Answer: what if I make up my own scale? I’ll call it Noffle-Q. At 0 Noffles it doesn’t get any colder. That’s as cold as it is possible to get, so if it was that cold this morning, the weather channel never had the chance to say it would be twice as cold tomorrow, because there is no tomorrow.

Argument: NO! Use Celsius then!

Answer: Ok. So it will be -8.88888888888889

Argument: ….your missing the point and when you multiply 32 by 2 you get 64.

Answer: On a thermometer the higher the temperature, the higher up the number is right?

Argument: Right…

Answer: So we can say that Cold is negative, since it goes down, and hot goes up. That’s what we assume when someone says colder or hotter, right? And the zero doesn’t mean End anyways. Its just the point where water freezes. So convert the 0 to 32 and multiply it by -2…

Argument: You can’t convert.

Answer: At all?

Argument: no.

Answer: It’s a math problem. Conversion is part of it. Now if you want to just present a humorous incident, say the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow”. Haha, awesome. But you phrased it as a math problem. I win.

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

(nods head) no.

Truthfully answered. The next word I said was no ^^

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

You have a lightspeed car?! AWESOME!

8. I conclude with this challenge:

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

If god chooses to make a rock god can't lift, then god can't lift it. There is no lose of power or denying of omnipotence because god can make the choice to be able to life the rock. Its all just in the choice.

The paradox is created when thinking of this question only in physical terms. When someone really thinks of ALL possibilities being possible, then the paradox, while still present, works.

Thats what I think anyway ^^