BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Think about these

rookie1ja

Think about these - Back to the Paradoxes

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

2. Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?

3. Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

8. I conclude with this challenge:

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

1. is the classic immovable object, meets unstoppable force just changed to suit your needs

hypothetically if either could happen then hypothetically everything would ceast (<- spelling) to exist since neither can be true

2. no, but it sure is going to suck being trapped in there as sperm for the rest of eternity

3. no, i do not accept ^^ (try harder) (for those that don't get my answer it is a double negative)

4. the grandmother dies and she continues to exist regardless of singularity or alternate realities

if alternate realities she simply fulfills the time line where her grandmother dies and she was never born

in a singularity, she has been born, she wipes her mother and grandmother out of existence and is never born

but she continues to exist since she existed before the changes she made to the reality as it now stands

now if she returns to her present she would have no identity since she never existed as the time stream stands now

5. are we talking Celsius or Fahrenheit? besides absolute zero wouldn't matter, everything would be frozen, including all of us

6. banana, and my answer is no (it does not specify that the next thing i say has to be my answer)

7. not much till you start to slow down, that is unless your lights are going at a different light speed than you

(yes i said it, not all light travels at the same speed)

8. ok he can't pick it up, who said god would pick it up, who said god had arms, if god wants it somewhere else it's simply somewhere else

but ok, yes if god is all powerful and can create anything and created a stone which not even god can not pick up then the answer is simple

poof! congratulations, you just destroyed the thread that was holding religion together

You must be kidding. Relativity has everything to do with the speed of light.

The light will always be the same speed no matter who measures it but the different relative speeds of the car and the observer would make time slow down for the person in the car. That is how you account for the sameness of the measured speed of light in multiple reference frames.

The frequency shift that you are talking about would also happen but not how you describe. As the car approaches you it would be "blue-shifted" to you. As it moves away from you it would be "red-shifted". It would appear unchanged from the point of view of the car.

i suggest you read up on light, there are different speeds of light

light speed is an out dated and more generalized term

havent you guys ever seen family guy? killing yourself if you go back in time doesn't mean you don't exist in the future, it just means that there's no longer 2 existences of yourself <!-- s;) --><!-- s;) -->

Yeah, you can go back in time and kill yourself, so your present self will die, but if you go back in time and kill you past self, then surely it will create a paradox with a loop, which should create a rift in time and space. This paradox happened in Doctor Who, but I completely forgot what he said about it. In family guy, the past people never changed, but the present self, as in the one who originally went back in the past, died.

The bullet and armor one is kinda retarded since it is impossible for both of them to exist simultaneously. If the bullet can pierce anything, the armor is not invincible. If the armor is invincible, the bullet cannot pierce any barrier. It is one or the other. Never both.

There was a similar thing in the 1st (I think) phoenix wright game. Apparently, it came from an ancient japanese story, although I can't be sure that was true. But, nevertheless, there was a similar thing in the game.

I didn't read all thirty eight pages of this, hell, I barely read the first page, but it seems you're all overthinking this.

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

ANSWER: If an unstoppable force meets an immovable object, the unstoppable force will go through the immovable object. The armor is a lie.

People may try this with codes in video games, so here's an addendum: If an unstoppable Mario meets an immovable object, the Mario will die. That's because the unstoppable force is behind Mario, pushing him along with it.

ANSWER: The fountain does not actually grant eternal life, so yes.

ANSWER: No. Mission complete!

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

ANSWER: Due to how time works, when the girl went into the past, she went into another timeline. Thus, the grandmother she killed was her grandmother by blood, but not her grandmother from the same 4D plane. Thus, her memories are still correct, and she gets to do whatever else she likes in that timeline, since she abandonned her first one.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

ANSWER: This completely depends on what the temperature was yesterday. There's no science involved.

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

ANSWER: Nay. Jigau. Non. The word for "No" in some other language than english, or slang, or something.

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

ANSWER: Due to momentum, your headlights will go at twice the speed of light.

Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

ANSWER: 'Kay. God creates a stone he can't lift. That scientifically proves that he can't be omnipotent, and thus is not God. He can't lift the stone, but he can do anything and everything else.

- By definition, the bullet should both go through and not go through. but not one instance cannot happen without the other. It's like saying there is good but no evil. without evil there would be nothing to measure good ultimately discounting both.

- Ths sentence assumes that the "fountain" is something a man CAN drown in. Instead think of the "fountain" containing something that a man can breath. In this case, no, a man cannot drown in the fountain of eternal life.

- If it is my mission to not accept the mission then I have already failed because the first part of this sentence states that it is my mission already.

- At the point the girl travels backwards through time a parallel universe would have to be created, one where the girl did go back in time and one where she didnt. Killing her grandmother would not affect her at all because she is from the universe where her grandmother is not killed. The new universe that was created where she killed her grandmother she would never exist. she then would never b able to go back to the universe she was from.

- Mathematically 0 can be any number that is between -1.0 and 1.0. The temperature will then be between -1.8 and 1.8

- By agreeing to the question and saying no satisfies both parts of this sentence. Saying no doesnt mean you are disagreeing with the request you are just saying a word with an absence of meaning.

- If it were possible you would b able to see the light traveling at the same speed you are, assuming you can see and the effects of traveling at the speed of light do not interfere with the cars functionality

- By the definition of GOD explained by St. Thomas Aquinas, God can do all things that are logically possible. Since God can create a stone and God can lift any stone it would be logically impossible for God to even create a stone which He cannot lift.

Seeing as there are 36 pages already, I don't know if anyone already brought this out. In The Dark Knight , near the end, the Joker says to Batman "This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object", referring to himself as the unstoppable force because, not fearing anything, nothing will stop him, and Batman refuses to kill him. Batman is the immovable object because he's impossible to corrupt (or he won't kill anyone). So they are forever locked in combat, each refusing to stop, but also unwilling to permanently stop each other. Make sense? Probably not.

The answer is: Wait until one of the actors die, thus making it impossible to make a sequel!

Thats messed up. Heath Ledger did die from that movie.

"Let's say there is a bullet which can shoot through any barrier. Let's also say there is an absolutely bullet-proof armor which no object can penetrate. What will happen if such a bullet hits such an armor?"

Dont think this is a problem. If both statements come from a person he's lying in one of them. Since both cannot be true simultaneously.

Or the person making one of the statement is unaware of the other, and is wrong.

Edited by ntn

If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow", what will the temperature be?

Dont think it's a good example. Because when u say it's cold u r not speaking technically and just saying how worse the temperature is from perhaps a comfortable 20C. Then the next day could be anything less than 0C (maybe -8C) depending on how u 'feel' temperature.

#7 has an answer, and it is a cinch. If you are in the car going the speed of light, your headlights shoot away from you at the speed of light (since it's a constant, it can do nothing but) However, a bystander watching as you whoosh by will see your headlights not extending from the from of your car whatsoever. To him the light will be pooling in the headlights, otherwise it would be going faster then light. In this way C stays constant for all observers. Simple.

Oh, I left one thing out... As the car approaches the speed of light, it's mass approaches infinite, so the bystander gets hit by the car the instant he sees it, and doesn't have time to come to any terribly advanced thoughts about where the headlights are.

#5 is a problem with unrigorous language. There is no measure of 'twice as cold' We measure the warmth of things, not their coldness. Just as there is no twice as thin, or three times less wealthy. Where does the thinness scale start? at 300 lb? 800lb? With no concrete and finite starting place for the scale, the increments are indefinable, and multiplication cannot occur.

Switching from Fahrenheit to kelvin solves nothing, because there is a Fahrenheit equivalent for any temperature. The question is where and when is he measuring the first drop to 0, that he can double that drop again tomorrow. Is it twice as cold as yesterday? As 6 months ago? as ten minutes ago? The scale is not defined. It's not a conversion problem. Even if you did transfer to Kelvin and subtract half, you'd be subtracting a nominal amount only since the increments are of different size. It would be a meaningless exercise.

Okay... Paradox 1: By definition, in a universe that contains a bullet that can penetrate any object could not contain a barrier that could stop that bullet, and vice versa. Paradox 2 is a variation of this same answer. Paradox 3 is word play my answer would be "Maybe!". Paradox 4 is simple to explain. By passing back in time, the girl becomes a temporal artefact. Killing her grandmother has no effect on her as she already exists in this new time line. Question 5 is easy, approximately 136 Kelvin. Number 6 is wordplay again. I never speak again. Number seven is easy. Under physical law, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. Any object that achieves the speed of light (Another impossible task), from it's subjective viewpoint no longer has any time to do anything in (As time slows to a stop at the speed of light) If, however both of these conditions were somehow bypassed, the energy state of the object emitting the light source would rise, but no actual light would be emitted. The object would become more energetic. The last of the paradoxes is interesting. Assuming a truly omnipotent being, if God were to take all of the matter in the universe and condense it into one spot, then he would be incapable of lifting it simply because there would be nothing to lift it against. This is not to say he would be incapable of moving the object, he would simply not be able to lift it.

havent you guys ever seen family guy? killing yourself if you go back in time doesn't mean you don't exist in the future, it just means that there's no longer 2 existences of yourself <!-- s;) --><!-- s;) -->

I have seen family guy and I hardly think that's a good example for the basic principles of human existence :P

- By definition, the bullet should both go through and not go through. but not one instance cannot happen without the other. It's like saying there is good but no evil. without evil there would be nothing to measure good ultimately discounting both.

- Ths sentence assumes that the "fountain" is something a man CAN drown in. Instead think of the "fountain" containing something that a man can breath. In this case, no, a man cannot drown in the fountain of eternal life.

- If it is my mission to not accept the mission then I have already failed because the first part of this sentence states that it is my mission already.

- At the point the girl travels backwards through time a parallel universe would have to be created, one where the girl did go back in time and one where she didnt. Killing her grandmother would not affect her at all because she is from the universe where her grandmother is not killed. The new universe that was created where she killed her grandmother she would never exist. she then would never b able to go back to the universe she was from.

- Mathematically 0 can be any number that is between -1.0 and 1.0. The temperature will then be between -1.8 and 1.8

- By agreeing to the question and saying no satisfies both parts of this sentence. Saying no doesnt mean you are disagreeing with the request you are just saying a word with an absence of meaning.

- If it were possible you would b able to see the light traveling at the same speed you are, assuming you can see and the effects of traveling at the speed of light do not interfere with the cars functionality

- By the definition of GOD explained by St. Thomas Aquinas, God can do all things that are logically possible. Since God can create a stone and God can lift any stone it would be logically impossible for God to even create a stone which He cannot lift.

for #2: if he never drinks out of the fountain then he has no eternal life and can in fact drown.

#7: seeing that a normal functioning car can't obtain those kinds of speeds, I would assume that the car is not functional and is simply being moved at the speed of light so the headlights wouldn't work

Those objects can't co-exist. The bullet or the armor can exist but never in the same dimension.

He will forever stay on the bottom. Alive.

I accept. I already wasn't going to kill my brother and therefore, not accepting the mission.

They never said 'Your mission is to not accept THIS mission' and i got another mission that says to kill my brother.

It doesn't refer to the time. Of course the girl wasn't born yet, but if her parents are born already? If she killed her parents, the paradox made sense.

That is impossible, but if it was in Fahrenheit i would take the temperature in Celsius and divide THAT, making it possible.

Truthfully? No. Fooling me (with this) is impossible. That next word was 'truthfully' and not 'no' making my 'no' true. Gotcha!

Cars can't go the speed of light, making it impossible to turn the headlights on. I mean, how could you possible turn the headlights on when the car doesn't even exist?

God can do anything, right? Well, if He exists. But let Him create a stone and let Him make Himself incapable of lifting it.

...ain't i smart?

My opinions.....

--- both are destroyed as both can be considered to have equal force resistance...(whatever that is....)

----- no he cannot, as it will give him eternal life!!!

------my answer is no, as if i don't accept the mission, then the mission is null and void, so to speak....

------ this statement is written assuming that there are different parallel worlds (i took that from black hole high). the grandmother in this case is considered to be born, and after the daughter is born, the grandmother is killed......she is not killing her mother, after all.......the statement hasn't mentioned if the grandmother was young; hence we can assume that the grandmother was killed when the girl's parent was born...

------- 0 degrees!...

------- dunno..............that's my next word ( :D;) )

------- your headlights should turn into light.......(my guess)

--------- this is God you are talking about! God can do anything....

First of all, of course, it's not a paradox :)

I went through your answeres and would like to add sth, so let me try to put this situation in a different angle.

Let's assume that possible travelling with speed of light is irrelevant.

Imagine you see a photon coming towards you. When the photon meets you, in the same exact moment you start to travel parallel to this photon with speed of light as well.

So, when after few seconds you turn your head to the photon - is it still there moving with you? (like two cars parallely moving at speed of 60km/h)

The answer is, like in EDM's case, that you will notice the photon overpacing you with the speed of light.

But it doesn't mean it travels with 2xspeed of light. That's exactly why it's called Theory of Relativity :)

Oh, one more thing - include TIME into your assumptions as it's essential as well.

Edited by pitt

1. Well, if the bullet was made first, then the armor (people who made the armor knew of the bullet), then the bullet won't go through, and if the armor was made before the bullet (people who made the bullet knew of the armor), it's gonna go right through.

2. A man can drown in the Fountain of Eternal Life, cause it is not the Fountain of Immortality... Sure, he WILL be forever young, but dead. :D

3. Do I accept the mission? ...What mission?

4. The girl and the killing of the grandmother is the biggest loop of the universe cause it involves time. And the thing is that she'll continue to kill her grandmother up until the point she decides not to. (Which is not possible cause if it happens once it will happen always, before and after, so, it's a loop forever )

5. I won't believe the weatherman on that channel and switch to another channel where, most possibly, they will say the same thing... Then I would go there and ask them what kind of morons run those weather stations! :)

6. I...ummm.......errrrr.......Nes...I mean, Yo... (Also, it could be "What?" :P)

7. You go back in time to the point you were just going to turn on the headlights, and you do... Then it's all over again. :D

8. It's just like that one "Can Jesus Make a Wall That He Cannot Jump Over?"...Well, sure, if you believe that He can, sure!...That's not really the answer, is it?... Dang! :duh:

As for number 2, i believe it is actually the "fountain of youth" in which case he would drown and probably never decompose, in the context of the question however it depends on whether eternal life merely lets you live forever while still being able to be hurt, or protects you from all harm, or both.As for number 5, it is simply a matter of taking the used form of measurement (whether Celsius, Kelvin, or Fahrenheit) and converting it to another find the usable temperature. Then if you have a negative number multiply by 2 if positive divide by 2... (mathematically and scientifically that is... i believe that in the end it would be much more technical beginning with how you would define cold and at what temperature however i am possibly looking to far into it with that...)To number 7, the headlight will turn on yet it will be trapped at it's exact source so long as you go EXACTLY the speed of light any slower and it will be ahead of you.... the real question i believe should be: "What happens if you are in a car going 'faster than' the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?"
Question 1: There cannot be both. The bullet and the barrier at the same time. If the barrier cannot be penetrated then there is no such bullet. If the the bullet can shoot through any barrier, then there cannot be such barrier. 2: Well. There is no such fountain. And if there was, he would not drown. Yes, he'd breath like a fish. 3: Mission failed either way he answers. 4: If the girl was born, then it's simple. She either never went to the past and if she did, she never killed her. 5: This a question that cannot be answered truthfully. If you answer anything else, then you are not answering yes or no. 6. If the temp was 50 degrees, twice as warm would be 100 degrees. But If it was 100 degrees, then 50 degrees would only be half as cold. Right? So what would be twice as cold? 0? I don't think there is a measurement for twice as cold for any degrees. Especially 0. 7: I guess you would not see the lights on the car when turned on. The headlights would look like they are not turned on. 8: Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)! Well. I guess God cannot do everything. If he can create such a stone, then he wouldn't be capable of liftig it. If he can still lift it, then he couldn't crate it. It's like saying can he make so many stars the he himself cannot count? Or can he he make a mountain so big that he himself cannot move? Edited by rookie1ja

• 2 weeks later...

They do indeed cancel each other out. Not entirely unlike the pondering question of "traveling at the speed of light and turning on the headlights". :P

It depends on your concept of "eternal life". If you assume it means a physical existence, no, he cannot.

Yes. And immediately fail by doing so.

An interesting concept... quantum physics would argue that she could, and it would simply create an alternate time-line with each killing. Reminds me of the book "Rant", by Chuck Palahniuk.

Taking this at face value, there is no correct answer. If we want to over analyze it and turn it into a study in temperature, the answer would be "-32F", which sadly would not translate the same way into Celsius. But in the interest of this "brain twister", there is no correct answer, as there is no mathematical response for 0 x 2.

Nope ;)

While not a paradox, the implication is that your headlights would become "backlights", or at least "parallel-lights".

Isn't that the other name for "free will"? :P

My answer:

1)the bullet that can penetrate any armor would get stuck halfway while penetrating the absolutely bullet-proof armor. they would both meet half way. the bullet wouldnt go all the way through

2)assuming the man can swim, he would drown at first until he is granted eternal life then he should be fine. But, if the man cannot swim, he will drown for eternity.

3) No, why would you say yes to something you are told to say no to?

4) This next paradox goes into the past twice.. "This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born(this is the end of her first passage into the past), if she was never born she never killed her grandmother([going back into the past and bringing grandma to life?]but according to the first part of the statement grandma is already dead thus making this portion of the sentence a fallacy) and she was born.

5) considering that every other country in the world, aside from the US, uses the Celsius measurement, 0degrees C translates to 273K (kelvin) and "twice as cold as [273K]" leaves us with 546K which translates back to 273degrees Celsius, which is melting hot for us humans, unless i went about this process wrong, i dont think the weather channel staff were being literal when they said "twice as cold tomorrow".. and when the term cold is used, doesnt necessarily mean the temperature is going to go down, because 500degrees Celsius is considered cold compared to molten lava, so "cold" referes heat released. and if the weather channel meant that the temperature was going to go down, the temperature would be a -273C.

6)No

7)You wouldnt noticed that you turned your lights on because you are traveling the same speed as the light that is supposed to be projecting, therefore not giving it a chance to project out onto the "road".

8) and boy have i heard this one before and am not going to give a answer in fear of offending anyone

well this was fun, much better than paying attention in the chemistry class i am in.

this question, if possibe would cause a rift in time because once u killed ur grandmother u never existed meaning she never died meaning u were born to go back in time to kill her so time would be in an infinite loop forever always repeating the same space of time.

What you guys seem to be missing is that if she had indeed killed her grandmother/father/mother/her eralier self she would not have been able to go back and kill them therefore the person that she actually killed was not who she thought it was. i.e an identical twin sister she was never told about, her dad's ex girlfriend, he mother's ex boyfrined, her grandad's ex girlfriend. What i'm trying to say is that after she kills these people history will automatically make it so that she kille the wrong person.

for number 8, god does not have to be able to pick it up to create it, he could simply point his finger at a patch of earth and create it...

and the tempretue will still be 0, the weatherman is just a prick for trying to confuse people :)

and no you can't drown in a fountain of eternal life, because everytime you nearly die of asphyxiation the fountain brings you back to life again so you'll keep on dying and suffering for eternity... what a nice image ¬¬

and i think i've already posted this answer before but no.1 is that simply one of them would be robbed of its title.

no.7 is that the light would just pool in the headlights for everyone except the driver.

and 6 and 3 are just too hard

What you guys seem to be missing is that if she had indeed killed her grandmother/father/mother/her eralier self she would not have been able to go back and kill them therefore the person that she actually killed was not who she thought it was. i.e an identical twin sister she was never told about, her dad's ex girlfriend, he mother's ex boyfrined, her grandad's ex girlfriend. What i'm trying to say is that after she kills these people history will automatically make it so that she kille the wrong person.

One possibility. Then there is the possibility that the act simply results in a divergent timeline.

Basically "This girl" goes back in time and kills her Grandmother (assuming this is done at a point prior to her parent's birth - otherwise the solution is too easy) and from then on lives in a reality in which she is never born, but simply appears from a timeline (however the time travel was achieved) other than the one she now lives in. For her, and her alone, history was that she was born: her Grandmother had her moher/father who produced her... Then travellled back causing history to be replaced with something different. In no way does this negate the fact that those events occured to bring her into the world. Even though they are never experienced by anyone in the new reality she finds herself in, but her.

for number 8, god does not have to be able to pick it up to create it, he could simply point his finger at a patch of earth and create it...

I think you missed the point there.

The implied (but erroneous) conclusions are that either:

a) God can create the stone but can not lift it - meaning he is NOT all powerful (he can't lift some stones = a limit to his power) or

b) he can't create this stone - meaning he is NOT all powerful (he can't create such a stone = a limit to his power.)

Implying that it is paradoxical and impossible for God to be all powerful.

This one is actually solvable however:

and the tempretue will still be 0, the weatherman is just a prick for trying to confuse people :)

Or just an idiot. There are other possibilities having to do with zero degrees in one temperature scale (like Celsius or Fahrenheit) versus absolute zero as well ;)

no.7 is that the light would just pool in the headlights for everyone except the driver.

And for the driver; nothing would be experienced at all! Because for her no time would pass. It all has to do with the 'relativity of time and space.

and 6 and 3 are just too hard

Really?

3 is easy

If you accept the mission then you immediately fail the accepted mission. No paradox, just failure.

If you do not accept it then there is no way to fail or succeed in the mission, because you never accepted it in the first place. Although it would just so happen that in doing so you have met the criteria of the mission anyway. Nothing wrong with that.

The answer to 6 of course is that it is a 'true' paradox: one can not answer truthfully either way. Note: many have given answers like "nope" or "hell no"; this violates the conditions of the challenge, it explicitly says to answer "yes or no."

• 4 weeks later...

a possible answer to number 1 is that the bullet can go through any armor. so why should it matter that the armor is inpenatrable if the bullet can go through anything it simply doesn't matter

this question, if possibe would cause a rift in time because once u killed ur grandmother u never existed meaning she never died meaning u were born to go back in time to kill her so time would be in an infinite loop forever always repeating the same space of time.

When the girl killed her grandmother, and she didn't go back to the present, she would still live. But if she goes back to the present, she could either live or not live. She would live if she killed her paternal grandmother, because it means that her mother could still live and have a baby (which could be her unless fate decided to change it). But her mother may also not choose to marry a man so she may not be born.