BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

The DEITY System

This is an RP, or roleplay- a collective story told by many people (as many that sign up), who each control a single character. They tell the story of their character as the characters interact with each other and the world, moving the story forward- sometimes toward a finish, sometimes not.

Only participate if you like to write ;D

Welcome to Epsilon, a world consisting of a tropical sea scattered with small islands. These islands, also tropical, are known as Epsilon-1, Epsilon-2, etc, all the way up to Epsilon-27, a sandbar off of Epsilon-26.

Nobody living in Epsilon decided on that, or the name of their world. They just know that's what it's called. Some of the islands are close enough together that you can see an island from the beach of another- the people there don't have the curiosity nor innovation to build a boat and explore- not yet, anyways. And nobody living on (for example) Epsilon-21 is curious that there may be 20 other islands, and maybe more... not yet, anyways.

The inhabitants are thus restricted to their own islands, all isolated from each other, where they make their living- a pleasant living. The weather is almost always good, except for the occasional monsoon. There is plenty of fish in the sea, fruit in the trees, and meat running around the jungle. Most of the islands have set up a sort of tribal leadership and community, living peacefully in beach huts or jungle houses, pretty sanitary too, though all the islands vary. Some are worse off than others. The people are usually very pacified.

This proclaimed "unrealism" is denounced by the mysterious DEITY System- the apparent boss of the world. It represents a god to the people of Epsilon- they know it exists, just as they know that they are living a place called Epsilon, just like they know their own island number. They also know that the DEITY System resides on the island Epsilon-0.

I say "apparent boss of the world" because the DEITY System does not interact with its world- not directly, anyway. The people fend for themselves. It does not interfere, for good or bad. It does not see the future. The people don't pray to it. But it is their god, their ruler - they just know that. I said "not directly, anyway"- and by that, I mean the DEITY System's propoganda. Yes, it interacts through propoganda- strange creatures known as Heralds may appear on the horizon, a couple of them in a long boat, using long paddles to bring themselves to shore. The people of whichever island the Heralds are visiting gather around, offering them food, drink, shelter. But Heralds don't eat, nor drink, nor sleep. They have no need. They are just there to give messages of the DEITY System, to spread propoganda. Slogans such as "Adapt. React. Be Independent. Be REALISTIC!"... or pictures of tribesmen gathering together, working in groups, or thinking of new ideas- or discovering new things, creating new inventions. Once the Heralds have given their message successful, whether it be verbal, a sand drawing, or an object they had taken with them, they depart as they had come, disappearing into the horizon.

It seems to you or I that Epsilon is a very strange world- but not so to the people that live there.

Epsilon does not really exist as you or I think of "existing"- it is inside a computer. It is the testing realm for an artificial intelligence computer system that its programmers call the DEITY System. The two programmers/scientists that made the DEITY System are currently in the fifth cycle of testing, terminating the world and starting over each time after a "failure". The cycle is a "failure" if a "success" is not reached within the 99th generation of the Epsilon inhabitants- a time span of a few hours in the real world.

The programmers are hoping that the inhabitants of Epsilon will form communities, they want leaders to emerge, they want diversity to spread, they want Epsilon-ians to develope the curiosity and skill to travel their world, they want them to adapt, to become more and more "realistic", as the DEITY System urges. And, of course, they want a "success"- not another "failure". If this fifth cycle is a "failure", their project will lose its financial support, and be over. So they want a "success" very much- it would also be a huge breakthrough in Artificial Intelligence (AI), which is the main goal.

So what is a "success"?

A success is when a member of the world of Epsilon develops the desire to seek out the DEITY System- tp find the island of Epsilon-0, where the Heralds come from, where the DEITY System abides. When that happens (when an Epsilon inhabitant reaches Epsilon-0) it is declared a "success", a major breakthrough in AI, and the cycle will be terminated- and the DEITY System will continue to be worked with by the programmers to continue their artificial intelligence program. That is a "success".

Spoiler for a moral question to consider:

If a "success" is declared, it means the 'AI' really is just 'I'. It means the people of Epsilon, Cycle 5, or at least some of those people, could truly be seen as living beings, capable of everything we are. Would it be wrong to just pull the plug after a success, to terminate their world once they reach Epsilon-0? To just end Epsilon, Cycle 5, and start a new cycle with even more goals? Think of that in the background- it's a long way off from now (at least in the point of view of someone living in Epsilon)

Intrigued? Want to join?

Before I post how to join and how to get started, I just want to see a show of hands of how many people are interested, if any. So post here if you're interested :P

• Answers 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Andrell's good ;D or you can change it back if you want

and why would our characters NOT have names... would they just be nameless? Or named after our usernames? That would be lame, lol. This is like a story, kind of...

Lol, I was kidding about changing it back

Yeah, usernames was what I was expecting, no big deal though. Lets make one up for EZKaty for now and get this road on the show :huh:

how's this?

Unreality = everything NOT you guys, ie, Heralds, the environment, the programmers if necessary, the "RP police", and also a sample chracter, Mantos

Ezkaty = Ravine

Giterdone = Nero

Itachi-san = Zetsu

Brandonb = Andrell

Puppy = Frog

Nayana = Athena

EsJohnson = Esj

CuteSparklezGirl = Melody

Frazler = Seran

how's this?

Unreality = everything NOT you guys, ie, Heralds, the environment, the programmers if necessary, the "RP police", and also a sample chracter, Mantos

Ezkaty = Ravine

Giterdone = Nero

Itachi-san = Zetsu

Brandonb = Andrell

Puppy = Frog

Nayana = Athena

EsJohnson = Esj

Frazler = Seran

Cool, lets do this!

omg im soo sorry i wasnt on, i sort of forgot... anyway ravines a nice name, i'll keep it. again, sorry.

lets start.

Edited by Ezkaty

Ok, since everyones having a fancy name, why do I lag behind?

My character's name would be, Titan.

So, here is the new list:

Ezkaty = Ravine

Giterdone = Nero

Itachi-san = Zetsu

Brandonb = Andrell

Puppy = Frog

Nayana = Athena

EsJohnson = Titan

Frazler = Seran

giterdone PMed me:

I am Dying to start Diety system. Can you tell me how to start it?

my reply:

okay, though I'm gonna have to drop out. I just don't have time these days, sorry :(

basically start it as a story from your character's perspective- usually it's done in 3rd person, though sometimes (very rarely) 1st person. In your opening post, kind of tell the backstory of your character and what he/she is doing RIGHT NOW! Eventually, most of the characters will meet up (sooner rather than later).

The theme I was going for was that the characters we are playing are the ones that are more curious about their world than most others. They have evolved further and are the next step in the AI- possible people that may carry out a "success" (remember, that's when people inside Epsilon reach Epsilon-0, the fabled island where the DEITY System- which is really just the entire computer program- is said to exist). Remember, the people of Epsilon are isolated from each other- they may know that they live on, for example, Epsilon-19, but they aren't curious if there are other "Epsilon islands" or where they might be. No two people have interacted with Epsilonians from another island yet... much of the RP will be about interactions in the world of Epsilon, maybe even hostilities forming between islands, as your people lead your fell Epsilonians to new technologies and islands with your curiosity, your next-level AI... and, as a group, eventually culminating the desire to seek out the mysterious "DEITY system". Or something- it may not go like that at all, cuz remember, it's a collective story told by many people. That's just a central theme- the story can go any which way, as long as you keep it realistic in terms of the world the programmers have created, know what I mean?

I'm thinking each character should start out on separate islands, though maybe 2 could be on the same island? Any way is fine- like I said, I can't really take part in this now, though I may come back every once and a while, and then when I get less busy I can take a more active part :P

I will start.

My character is Nero, a native of Elipson-26. He used to think that his island was the only island untill he saw a bird fly to near him. Nero knows the island like the back of his hand, but never has he seen a bird before. This made him think if there are other islands like his out there. He told his father about this, but his father said that there are no other islands and what he was saying is complete blasphemy. He dismissed the thought from his mind. Right now it is dark, Nero is on top of the mountain on his island staring at the stars. He is thinking about how and why he is there (on the island).

It's a start. I want to hear you stories guys.

Heres a list of the people playing, and where their chatacter is from.

Ezkaty = Ravine

Giterdone = Nero - Elipson-26

Itachi-san = Zetsu

Brandonb = Andrell

Puppy = Frog

Nayana = Athena

EsJohnson = Titan

Frazler = Seran

Edited by giterdone

i'll go next

My character is Ravine, a young girl who has a passion for the wildlife of Epsilon-14. She goes goes out everyday to play with the animals of the jungle. She knows that her island is not the only one, for she can she a distant island, barely visible on the horizon. Right now she is sitting from a tree branch, feeding a chimp she had raised since its mother died, wondering what the people on the other island are like.

ok, heres the list.

Ezkaty = Ravine - Epsilon-14

Itachi-san = Zetsu

Brandonb = Andrell

Puppy = Frog

Nayana = Athena

EsJohnson = Titan

Frazler = Seran

whos next?

Edited by Ezkaty

On a note... most RPs go like stories... like when you actually get everyone's backstories and start it up, it should start from one specific moment and be told like a story (a good story is more entertaining :P) Though it's okay to, in the beginning, kind of give a little description like you guys are doing ;D

ok..I will go next..

Athena is in her late teens and is a native of Epsilon-7. She is always curious about things and is a nature lover. She lives with her parents on the island. Painting and sketching come to her naturally and she is a very talented artist. Being a day dreamer and , she dreams of leaving the island one day and wants to explore the outside world. One day while sitting on the beach and painting the picture of the sunset, she wonders when she will get a chance to leave Epsilon- 7...Her optimism helps her and she mutters to herself.."soon that day will come...."

Itachi-san = Zetsu

Brandonb = Andrell

Puppy = Frog

Nayana = Athena Epsilon-7

EsJohnson = Titan

Frazler = Seran

can i join pllllllllllz

:huh:

Sure you can join. just read the rules and anything else unreality has said. You need to name your character.

Edited by giterdone

Im in

fo sho ;)

i'll write some when i get more time...but i have to go.

but i want to be... Brodi (Bro-Dee) if thats ok with everyone ;):lol:

Itachi-san = Zetsu

Brandonb = Andrell

Puppy = Frog

EsJohnson = Titan

Frazler = Seran

Thuhchris = Brodi

Edited by Thuhchris

My character is Brodi from Elipson-17. Brodi is a very creative, open-minded man.

He was a very skilled hunter and scavenger. He knew the island well (his side anyway)

He has a black lab name Rocky, Rocky is his hunting dog.

They lived on the west side of the island, and explored the island each day.

Brodi had never met anyone else and wondered if there was anyone else out there...

Edited by Thuhchris

Giterdone = Nero - Epsilon-26

Itachi-san = Zetsu

Brandonb = Andrell

Puppy = Frog

EsJohnson = Titan

Frazler = Seran

Thuhchris = Brodi - Epsilion -17

Andrell believes himself to have been a happy young man at one point. However, he had no memory dating back more than a few days. His earliest memory was of a fire that consumed the island of Epsilon 3 on which he lived. There were Four (including himself) that lived on the island. Though afterwards, once all the plants and wildlife were desecrated, only Andrell, his sibling, and another epsilonian were remaining.

They spent days walking the island, looking for something, anything for sustenance, but to no avail. The only things they were able to find were the easily carved half-burned trees, and the two islands that were observable from the shore. On one side of Epsilon 3, easily visible but well beyond swimming distance, was Epsilon 2 which appeared to be a wasteland. There were no trees to be observed, only distant echoes of animalistic sounds, and a strange glow the could only be seen at night, like the whole island was on fire.

The island on the other side (Epsilon 4) was green, but it was too far away to tell anything else. However, green is good, Andrell knew that it means life, and food, were plentiful there.

So that was it, the three began to do the only thing they could with the resources they had. They picked a few heavy shells from the ocean, and began to carve down a few of the trees. The problem was, at the rate that it took to cut down a tree (even half burned) with seashell, it would take weeks to create something that could be used to cross the waters. So with failing strength and a deep uncontrollable hunger, one night the siblings resorted to cannibalize the third Epsilonian. They didn't want to at first, but it was necessary. Though Andrell didn't seem to mind much, in fact, he seemed to enjoy it.

With renewed strength and a short supply of "food" remaining, the two continued their work on hollowing out the tree which was large enough to seat only themselves, in a last-ditch effort to make it across the waters to Epsilon 4.

Count me in.

I am Nez. I also live on Epsilon 17...on the east side of the island. I am a loner, a recluse, spending most of my time hidden away deep inside a cave when I have made myself a comfortable home. I have no interest in exploring the island and no curiocity about the existance of others or of the Diety System. I accept that I am alone and like it that way. On the occation that I find myself lacking sustanance, I venture out of my cave only long enough to fish and hunt and gather the food that I need to survive.

My cave sets mid-way up a cliff face on the rocky shore of East Epsilon 17. I can see no other islands. However, just the oher day, when I emerged from the depths of my cave, preparing to go in search of food, I saw off in the horizon something unlike anything I had ever seen before. It was a long, narrow vessle riding ON TOP of the water! There seemed to be at least one unfamiliar being aboard. Startled and completely terrified, I retreated back into the dark of my cave and did not dare return to the sunlight for days.