BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

The DEITY System

This is an RP, or roleplay- a collective story told by many people (as many that sign up), who each control a single character. They tell the story of their character as the characters interact with each other and the world, moving the story forward- sometimes toward a finish, sometimes not.

Only participate if you like to write ;D

Welcome to Epsilon, a world consisting of a tropical sea scattered with small islands. These islands, also tropical, are known as Epsilon-1, Epsilon-2, etc, all the way up to Epsilon-27, a sandbar off of Epsilon-26.

Nobody living in Epsilon decided on that, or the name of their world. They just know that's what it's called. Some of the islands are close enough together that you can see an island from the beach of another- the people there don't have the curiosity nor innovation to build a boat and explore- not yet, anyways. And nobody living on (for example) Epsilon-21 is curious that there may be 20 other islands, and maybe more... not yet, anyways.

The inhabitants are thus restricted to their own islands, all isolated from each other, where they make their living- a pleasant living. The weather is almost always good, except for the occasional monsoon. There is plenty of fish in the sea, fruit in the trees, and meat running around the jungle. Most of the islands have set up a sort of tribal leadership and community, living peacefully in beach huts or jungle houses, pretty sanitary too, though all the islands vary. Some are worse off than others. The people are usually very pacified.

This proclaimed "unrealism" is denounced by the mysterious DEITY System- the apparent boss of the world. It represents a god to the people of Epsilon- they know it exists, just as they know that they are living a place called Epsilon, just like they know their own island number. They also know that the DEITY System resides on the island Epsilon-0.

I say "apparent boss of the world" because the DEITY System does not interact with its world- not directly, anyway. The people fend for themselves. It does not interfere, for good or bad. It does not see the future. The people don't pray to it. But it is their god, their ruler - they just know that. I said "not directly, anyway"- and by that, I mean the DEITY System's propoganda. Yes, it interacts through propoganda- strange creatures known as Heralds may appear on the horizon, a couple of them in a long boat, using long paddles to bring themselves to shore. The people of whichever island the Heralds are visiting gather around, offering them food, drink, shelter. But Heralds don't eat, nor drink, nor sleep. They have no need. They are just there to give messages of the DEITY System, to spread propoganda. Slogans such as "Adapt. React. Be Independent. Be REALISTIC!"... or pictures of tribesmen gathering together, working in groups, or thinking of new ideas- or discovering new things, creating new inventions. Once the Heralds have given their message successful, whether it be verbal, a sand drawing, or an object they had taken with them, they depart as they had come, disappearing into the horizon.

It seems to you or I that Epsilon is a very strange world- but not so to the people that live there.

Epsilon does not really exist as you or I think of "existing"- it is inside a computer. It is the testing realm for an artificial intelligence computer system that its programmers call the DEITY System. The two programmers/scientists that made the DEITY System are currently in the fifth cycle of testing, terminating the world and starting over each time after a "failure". The cycle is a "failure" if a "success" is not reached within the 99th generation of the Epsilon inhabitants- a time span of a few hours in the real world.

The programmers are hoping that the inhabitants of Epsilon will form communities, they want leaders to emerge, they want diversity to spread, they want Epsilon-ians to develope the curiosity and skill to travel their world, they want them to adapt, to become more and more "realistic", as the DEITY System urges. And, of course, they want a "success"- not another "failure". If this fifth cycle is a "failure", their project will lose its financial support, and be over. So they want a "success" very much- it would also be a huge breakthrough in Artificial Intelligence (AI), which is the main goal.

So what is a "success"?

A success is when a member of the world of Epsilon develops the desire to seek out the DEITY System- tp find the island of Epsilon-0, where the Heralds come from, where the DEITY System abides. When that happens (when an Epsilon inhabitant reaches Epsilon-0) it is declared a "success", a major breakthrough in AI, and the cycle will be terminated- and the DEITY System will continue to be worked with by the programmers to continue their artificial intelligence program. That is a "success".

Spoiler for a moral question to consider:

If a "success" is declared, it means the 'AI' really is just 'I'. It means the people of Epsilon, Cycle 5, or at least some of those people, could truly be seen as living beings, capable of everything we are. Would it be wrong to just pull the plug after a success, to terminate their world once they reach Epsilon-0? To just end Epsilon, Cycle 5, and start a new cycle with even more goals? Think of that in the background- it's a long way off from now (at least in the point of view of someone living in Epsilon)

Intrigued? Want to join?

Before I post how to join and how to get started, I just want to see a show of hands of how many people are interested, if any. So post here if you're interested :P

• Answers 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Startled, Zetsu looked up from his work. His eyes darted back and forth around the hut in which he was preparing necessities for the voyage to the distant island. Something was amiss, but what? He burst through the Koala skin entrance and saw a plume of smoke rising from the grounds where his apprentices were constructing the raft.

Zetsu raced to the source of the fire, both completely shedding all the anonymity he had worked so hard to keep and also causing all the villagers to drop whatever they were doing and begin gawking wide-eyed at the reclusive witch doctor with magical powers running through the village as if he were racing for the Lunar Virgin Sacrifice! By means of a thin veil of confusion, discomfort, shock and terror, Zetsu managed to slip through the heavily populated village and make his way down the steep slopes to the now ashen rafts.

As he gracefully slid down the leafy muddy terrain dodging and using trees as hand grips and leverage bars, Zetsu was met at the base by the sound of someone sprinting through the forest basin. The runner was getting closer and was coming from the dense bush between him and the rafts. It was Hinata. She burst out from the foliage into Zetsu who caught her, spun her around his body and arrogantly caught a whizzing dart that was aimed for her neck between his thumb and middle finger. Her right arm was gashed and bleeding heavily: this being the seemingly worst of her many observable injuries. Then Zetsu realized the horror of her condition and the reason she was not screaming or speaking to him now. Her tongue was removed. She kept her mouth shut tight, but he knew it. Only one person on the island would dare perform such an audacious and merciless ceremony and that man is Sasori, the current Shaman of the village.

Zetsu knew Sasori would strongly oppose his departure from the island, or anyone's for that matter. Sasori's influence over the island was sweeping and almost total, so Zetsu never anticipated a fair fight. The island was all there was as far as Sasori was concerned and he would hear nothing to the contrary. Sasori was the reason Zetsu kept the distant island's discovery a secret all this time. He was also the reason they needed to build the raft and leave without anyone catching wind of their plan before it was too late to stop it. With little choice, Zetsu quickly tended to Hinata's wounds enough to keep her alive for a few more hours until he could properly take care of her. All the while, Zetsu kept a constant guard against the disciple of Sasori who had blown the dart and was still taking cover in the nearby area. Zetsu whispered in Hinata's ear: "I'll return for you, but first I need to save your brother and put an end to this." He sprung up to a ready stance, removed several bamboo canisters from inside his robe's hidden pockets and muttered to himself: "Looks like I'll be adding another story to my legacy. As if I haven't given the villagers enough to talk about for one day... hmph!"

Nez led Brodi down a path into the thick of the forrest. She could hear his heavy footsteps behind her but she dared not turn around out of fear that he might think she was suspicious of him...which, almost in spite of herself, she was not. They walked in silence for 15 minutes until they came to a thicket of berry-laden shrubs. She stopped, pointed to the shrubs and finally spoke: "I eat mostly the fruit from these plants, the roots from others, and if I search hard enough I can occationally find an edible fungus."

Brodi's brow furrowed in confusion, "But what about meat? Don't you eat any meat?"

"I eat fish when I am lucky enough to spear one, but I cannot venture too far out into the sea because the floor drops off rapidly just a few feet beyond the shore line. Sometimes I can turn rocks or logs to find the green beetles that are good for food. I can capture dozens at a time. If I do not eat them all myself I will use them to lure the fish closer when I am wading on the shore."

When she finished defending her diet, she looked up and noticed that Brodi was staring at her with an intense gaze that made her shiver. "Brodi?"

Brodi blinked rapidly and seemed to snap out of his daze, "Sorry." He said, embarrassed, "There is something about you that seems to familiar, like - well it's silly - like I have always known you."

His words shot through her like electricity* and she almost lost her footing. She had felt the same thing. But it made no sense at all; until today she had no idea that another being of her make even existed. Until today she knew that she was all alone. As excited and as surprisingly comfortable as Nez was with this new companion his very existance made her head spin. "What else is out there that I have not encountered?" she wondered to herself. "How did Brodi come to be here? How did Friend come to be here? How did I come to be here?" Her head began to throb again. She raised her hand to sweep her hair long, tangled hair away from her face then gingerly fingered the wound on her forehead. She saw that Brodi was watching her every move with a sort of fascination. Nez finally spoke in reply; "Yes, yes, I have had the same thought."

* YES BRAINDENNERS, I KNOW THAT EPSILON DOES NOT HAVE ELECTRICITY...AT LEAST NOT EPSILON 17. PLEASE ALLOW MY SIMILE FOR THE SAKE OF ARTISTIC LICENSE.

Edited by puzzlegirl

After ten days of sailing and following Cynn's orders, Nero and Titus were exhuasted. Cynn however was upbeat and happy.

"Why and you so full of energy?" Titus asked. "Nero and I are both Extremely sore and tired."

"I'm just so happy to be out on the ocean again." Said Cynn with a cheerful smile.

"Do you even know where you are going?" Nero asked.

"Yes I am. Luckily when I washed up onto your island, my sextant came with me." Said Cynn.

"What the devil is a soxtunt?" Nero asked.

"Not soxtunt, sextant. It's a device that enables me to pinpoint our exact location. I remember the coordinates of the Herald Islands."

"How long until we get there?" Titus asked.

"At this rate, about another day." Replied Cynn.

Later that night...

Titus approached Cynn, who was sitting on the bow railing.

"Hey Cynn."

"Hey hun. Where's Nero?"

"He's asleep below the deck. What are you still doing up?"

"I should ask you the same. I couldn't sleep. I guess it's because in a few hours, I'll see my dad for the first time in three years."

"I'm glad that you're going to see your father again." He looked up at the stars. "The stars are beautiful tonight."

"The last time they were this bright was the last time I saw my dad. Every night I wondered if I'll be able to see him again."

"I judt don't understand why you stayed on the island. You could have easially left the island and returned home. Why did you stay?"

"Because the day after I crashed, I met you." They kissed under the star-lit sky. After the kiss, their faces glowed. The young couple stayed on the deck for a few more minutes before retreating to bed.

Dawn...

"LAND HO!" Shouted Cynn.

"Ho?" Nero asked.

"It means I see land" Replied Cynn. "I can't belive that after all these years, I'm going to see my father again. They reached the dock. While Cynn tied the boat up Nero and Titus looked at the town in amazement. There were so many boats, buildings(small buildings, like in the 16th century), and people there, that it was too much to take in. "Boys. Welcome to Salmet, the capital of the Herald Islands." SHe looked at her friends clothes and said "You guys need some more clothes."

"What's wrong with out clothes?"

What's wrong with our clother?" They both said at the same time.

"You stick out like a sore thumb." Said Cynn. "Follow me, I know a guy who will give you something to wear." They walked into town. Nero and Titus were still amazed at what they were witnessing. The two dumbstruck boys followed Cynn into a building with some clothes hung up in it. The man inside instantly reconized Cynn.

"Cynn? Is that you?" Said the man. "I haven't seen you in years, I thought you died!" the man gave her a hug and said "What happened to you?"

"I was Shipwrecked on an island far from here. It turns out that there are people living on other island too besides what we know." Said Cynn.

"You don't say. Well If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask."

"Do you think I can get some clothes for my friends? They're natives from the island that I was on."

"Sure, help yourself."

"Thanks Chris. I Knew I could count on you." She browsed through the clothes and picked out some cool looking clothes for Nero and Titus. "Here, go into the back room and put these on." While they were changing, Cynn wanted to find out where her father was. "Hey Chris, do you know where my father is?" Chris sat there in silence for a minute before he spoke.

"Cynn, your father was a brave man. He died from a heart attack about a year after you disappeared." They sat in silence. "I'm sorry kiddo."

Edited by giterdone

Epsilon 18:

It's unclear how long the fever lasted. Frog felt sure that he would die. Reality and dreams came in a tumbling confusion, as did the extreme sensations of hot and cold in his body. When he was aware, he felt drained as he had never been before. Running a hand over his chest he felt nothing but bone. His arms were emaciated and feeble. Food was offered and he accepted it. Where was he? A cage surrounded him. This in itself was wondrous. It was a simple bamboo cage, but Frog had never seen such a construction. But beyond the cage were greater wonders. Beings similar to himself came and went. The noises they made amongst themselves seemed full of music and meaning. Their bodies were wrapped with something like animal skin, only finer. Looking down he found something similar wrapped around the lower part of his own torso. Its purpose was unclear. Frog had always been naked and alone, but now that he was not alone it seemed right that he should not be naked either.

As the days went by, he ate, slept, and pondered his situation. The beings who kept him could accomplish so much. They built shelters to keep the rain off, they channelled water to suit their needs, they seemed to have a bewildering variety of ways to obtain food, other necessities and even luxuries from their surroundings. Their weaponry was incredible. Their spears were tipped with stone, they even made tiny spears that could be sent flying through the air to kill at a distance. Frog watched them with amazement. He did not feel that he was their equal, they were like gods to him. They seemed to feel the same and looked upon Frog with the disdain that he deserved. He didn't know why they hadn't killed him, and felt immense gratitude for their mercy and kindness. Truly they were a great people.

Brodi couldn't shake the feeling he had for Nez... he had never felt this way.

He was scared, but he liked the feeling. He now has somebody to be with.

Living "alone" on this island for years and years was not fun by himself.

"Maybe we should head back to your cave" Brodi said to break the silence.

"Yeah, your right" Nez replied

We turned around and Rocky was standing there wagging his tail.

"Hello friend" Nez said petting him on the head.

"Oh, im sorry" Brodi said "this is Rocky, he's my dog. i got him a long time

ago.. it's been so long i don't remember where i got him." He laughed.

"I like that name" Nez smiled.

They bent down and picked a few berries, and started back up the path.

after a few minutes of silence spoke,

"Have you ever had meat?"

"Yes" Nez said "I have fish once in a while.. when i catch them"

"Well tonight, i'm going to make you my famous Rabit Stew.. I'm the only

one that has tasted it, but i think it's pretty good" Brodi smiled.

Nez smiled back, and they came to the end of the path. They walked into

the cave and Nez noticed Brodi was holding something behind his back.

"what is that?" she said. Brodi pulled out a beautiful White Rose and

handed it to Nez.

"I wanted you to have this, i've only seen a few on the island but I treasure

each one that i find. They smell wonderfull, go ahead and smell."

Nez took a big whif and melted into it

"I love it"

"Im glad you do. well if im going to make that Rabbit Stew im going to

need a Rabbit" He smiled, "Rocky can stay here with you"

And with that Brodi was off. Nez curled up next to rocky and waited for

Brodi to return.

Josh is so tired of the monatony he drowns himself in the ocean and 3 hours later finds himself on epsilon 17. He was only unconcous!Now regreting his discesion he finds a cave and sees a dog and a girl!

Josh is so tired of the monatony he drowns himself in the ocean and 3 hours later finds himself on epsilon 17. He was only unconcous!Now regreting his discesion he finds a cave and sees a dog and a girl!

Dun Dun DunDun

Epsilon 18:

As Frog sits in his cage, silently meditating, a strange thing happens. The noises made by the people of Epsilon 18 start to take on meaning. The less he consciously tries to understand them, the more they seem to make sense. His understanding of language is an innate ability, waiting to be activated. Eyes closed, relaxed, he lets the sounds around him come to life. He hears conversations about food, about the weather, about him. Perhaps he could also choose to speak, but he lacks the confidence to do so. When a bowl of scraps is thrust into his cage he responds with the customary grunt. But as the ability to comprehend settles in his mind, he listens, and learns.

Your not getting any of my stew! ;):lol:

Now I have to find a way to put the 2 stories together on Mic word. THANKS A LOT GUYS....

He's the one who came to my island.. haha ;)

Okay fellas, but no fighting over me. I'm already spoken for...by Rocky!

haha :lol:

Nez is delighted by the smell of the rabbit stew. She raises the bowl to her lips and takes a small sip...delicious! Realizing her hunger she takes a huge gulp and swallows hard. But as she does something (a rabit femur perhaps?) gets lodged in her windpipe cutting off her air supply. She begins to panic and turns to Josh and Brodi who are chatting on the other side of the fire. They look at her confused and turn back to their conversation. Nez topples off her log, purple-faced and dead as a doornail. The boys, annoyed, get up and carry her limp body deep into the cave and throw it into a cravass. "Goodbye Nez!" they shout as her body falls into the darkness below. Brodi turns to Josh, "She was a pain in the a** anyway." and they both snicker as they return to the fire to finish their stew and their conversation.

Ha! Just kiddin' fellas! Scratch that. I'll write more later..."When Nez Ressurects!"

Nez is delighted by the smell of the rabbit stew. She raises the bowl to her lips and takes a small sip...delicious! Realizing her hunger she takes a huge gulp and swallows hard. But as she does something (a rabit femur perhaps?) gets lodged in her windpipe cutting off her air supply. She begins to panic and turns to Josh and Brodi who are chatting on the other side of the fire. They look at her confused and turn back to their conversation. Nez topples off her log, purple-faced and dead as a doornail. The boys, annoyed, get up and carry her limp body deep into the cave and throw it into a cravass. "Goodbye Nez!" they shout as her body falls into the darkness below. Brodi turns to Josh, "She was a pain in the a** anyway." and they both snicker as they return to the fire to finish their stew and their conversation.

Ha! Just kiddin' fellas! Scratch that. I'll write more later..."When Nez Ressurects!"

:rolleyes: aw com'on we would have saved you..

you can't just kill yourself without our permission :lol:

Edited by Thuhchris

:rolleyes: aw com'on we would have saved you..

you can't just kill yourself without our permission :lol:

Just thought I'd throw you for a loop. Like I said, scratch the previous bit...I'm still working out in my mind how to appoach things now that Josh is on the island.

Just thought I'd throw you for a loop. Like I said, scratch the previous bit...I'm still working out in my mind how to appoach things now that Josh is on the island.

ok..

Bang, stomp sloop. cough splutter splutter .....whoops a deep gasp of oxygen went tearing into Nez's windpipe and hurled the rabbit bone into the soft green tarmac where she had landed. Seeing darkness all around adds to her confusion. Where am I she wonders?

Guys this could be fun. Before I commit can someone please tell me how much time commitment can be expected per week......I am itching to throw in my hat.

Now that we are getting further into our stories, I think you guys should start writing a bit more than a couple of sentences per post. You don't have to write as much as I do in my story, but don't write less than a paragraph. Agreed?

Today i wokeup early and got 4 fish (1 4each of us and rocky) and made a stew for breakfast ur welcome!

thank you... i guess. ;):lol:

you need to write a little bit more than one sentence though.

about a paragraph more. :P

and by the way.. whats going on, because im am not following right now?