BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

A few sentences from life

rookie1ja

• 1 month later...
A few sentences from life - Back to the Paradoxes

4. If you get this message, call me, and if you don't get it, don't call.

That reminds me of something they used to say at my old school. During Registration, they'd tell us, 'If you're here, say "Here," and if you're not here, say, "Not here."' :D

• 4 months later...

Having read quite a few replies on here I think some people are taking these statements too literally. Some puzzles and brain teasers are based on logic and some on emotional intelligence. You cannot apply logic to these statements to make them meaningful.

1. Nobody goes to that restaurant, because it is too crowded.

This is like saying nobody who knows about it goes there becasue it's so crowded (crap atmosphere, too much hassle, too busy, too rushed, whatever) or;

nobody who is important to me (as in like a cliche) goes there. e.g. "Nobody goes to that bar... It's full of tourists"; logic states obviously people do go there (it's full of tourists) but not the people who are of some importance to you or of your social standing whatever that may be.

2. Don't go near the water, till you have learned how to swim.

Again, this is like a warning a Mother/Father would say to their little kid. Of course you would let them learn to swim in a controlled and safe environment before you would let them go play near to the edge of a deep swimming pool wouldn't you? The clue is "Don't go near THE water" which leads me to believe they are talking about a particular type of "water" i.e. A deep pool or perhaps a river or the sea? The person is NOT saying "don't go near water, till you have learned to swim".

3. The man who wrote such a stupid sentence, can not write at all.

Of course the stupid man wrote a sentance. What this person is saying is that it was so bad he wouldn't even call it a sentance. He wouldn't call the person a writer. It's an exaggerated insult. You could say "the man who wrote such a stupid sentance, can not write well at all" however this has little impact (and something a kid could come up with), what I think this person is saying is he/she would not consider this person a writer in the professional sense. They are not a true writer i.e. author, journalist etc. I think this is a clever criticism from someone who really can write. He/she has got his point across and made an impact in just one sentance.

"The silence was deafening" - a powerful description. Obviously, if you take this literally it is meaningless.

I have to agree this does seems to be pointing out the obvious. However, it does have some meaning since the person who wrote is also thinking about someone seeing it/finding the message later (perhaps it's just a joke). Not likely to be instructions or for clarification. It is obvious if you don't get the message you won't call (for that reason anyway). Perhaps also someone who believes in destiny? Just leave it somewhere and see what happens.

5. ADVERTISEMENT: Are you an analphabet? Write a letter and we will send you free of charge instructions how to undo it.

To be honest I have no idea what an analphabet is so I won't comment on this one.

• 2 months later...

Methinks you need two letters A and N(tail sticker "If you can read this, I've lost my caravan")

My half sister has a shirt like that that says "If you can read this, put me back on my horse!" written upside down on the back.

And guess what?

Anyone who can't speak, say "I"!

• 3 months later...

1. Nobody goes to that restaurant, because it is too crowded.

2. Don't go near the water, till you have learned how to swim.

3. The man who wrote such a stupid sentence, can not write at all.

5. ADVERTISEMENT: Are you an analphabet? Write a letter and we will send you free of charge instructions how to undo it.

No. one is simply that Nobody is a name and Because It Is Too Crowded is the name of the restuarant, the capitalization is just an error. But whoever made that restuarant name is not smart.

No. two is just learn to swim in a different liquid.

No. three is just that the man can't write the words 'at all.'

No. four is just simply if you get it, you know to call. If you don't get it, you simply won't call because you don't know.

No. five is writing a letter like A, B, C, D, etc. Then you just simply get instructions on how to erase it, burn it, etc.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

These are not paradoxes, they are just not complete/intelligent statements. The fact that people say them and/or harp on them points to the general lack of common sense these days.

1. Nobody goes to that restaurant, because it is too crowded. What is meant is no one who knows how crowded it is goes to that restaurant. Obviously, if it is crowded, SOMEbody goes to that restaurant. It is an over-generalization (for lack of a better term), which are rarely true.

2. Don't go near the water, till you have learned how to swim. What is meant is don't go in the water in an uncontrolled setting, till you have learned how to swim. Obviously, the easiest way to learn to swim is by going in the water, but in a controlled setting, with someone to teach you who can ensure your safety until you can ensure your own safety.

3. The man who wrote such a stupid sentence, can not write at all. Add the word "well" between "write" and "at" and you will get the meaning desired.

4. If you get this message, call me, and if you don't get it, don't call. Obviously. This goes right with speakers in large rooms who say "If you can't hear me, raise your hand" Duh. <!-- s:roll: --><!-- s:roll: -->

5. ADVERTISEMENT: Are you an analphabet? Write a letter and we will send you free of charge instructions how to undo it. I saw a similar thing on Letterman many years ago ... reading a billboard that said simply: "Illiterate? Call 1-800-555-1212". Hopefully, the authors of these statements aren't expecting large responses. They'd do better on the radio ... laugh.gif

Not to disagree...(paradox hehe) but these are paradoxes by logical progression. Because of the way they were written they become paradoxes. If they were to be explained the way you explained them they would have been written that way. However by the choice of words, their sequencing, and by gramatic and word definition if you follow their order they are paradoxes. If this wasn't true we would have no paradoxes because you could use the same words to define them differently in a new sentence and then remove them from paradoxical conversation. So by logical progression they dont make sence by our rules therefor they are paradoxical. A.K.A. when you make the rules it sucks when they break haha :thumbsup:

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...