BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

decode the following!

&1"2*1^3%2£4%1^2£1£4%1(1)1£4$1(1"1£4^1(1&1£4£3!2^3£4%1^1)1£1£4%1"1£1^3%1^1"2*1"3£4(2£1%1%1£1$1"2.

%1^2&1"2........

%1^2£1£4!1&1*1£3*2£4%3$1(1"1^3£4$2(1"3£4&2&1&3)1"2£4(1$3£1$1£4%1^2£1£4(2!2!3^1£4£2(1%2.

EXTRA kudos points !

18 answers to this question

I'm assuming that you're supposed to replace each symbol with a letter and it'll write out a message, but there aren't even any spaces shown. Are spaces supposed to replace one of the symbols, or is our final message gonna be scrunched together with no spaces?

I'm assuming that you're supposed to replace each symbol with a letter and it'll write out a message, but there aren't even any spaces shown. Are spaces supposed to replace one of the symbols, or is our final message gonna be scrunched together with no spaces?

It looks to me "£" is for 'space' and "1" for 'a'.

I don't think that's correct. Every character alternates between a symbol and a number...I think each of those pairs up to mean something

I don't think that's correct. Every character alternates between a symbol and a number...I think each of those pairs up to mean something

Ya I think you're right. And here's something else to think about. All the '4's are preceded by '£'.

So maybe £4 is a space instead of just £

If that's the case, then it means that there are 9 words in the first sentence, and 9 in the second sentence, but there are no one letter words so it's hard to identify the A or I.

I've also noticed that there are not enough different symbols to get 26 (or so) letters of the alphabeth, I think the meaning of every symbol depends on the number next to it...

1 2 3 4 & " * ^ % £ ( ) $ ! .

decode the following!

&1"2*1^3%2£4%1^2£1£4%1(1)1£4$1(1"1£4^1(1&1£4£3!2^3£4%1^1)1£1£4%1"1£1^3%1^1"2*1"3£4(2£1%1%1£1$1"2.

%1^2&1"2........

%1^2£1£4!1&1*1£3*2£4%3$1(1"1^3£4$2(1"3£4&2&1&3)1"2£4(1$3£1$1£4%1^2£1£4(2!2!3^1£4£2(1%2.

EXTRA kudos points !

USING THE TOP ROW YOU CAN TYPE TWENTYSIX LETTERS THUS........

THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG.

...I don't get it.

USING THE TOP ROW YOU CAN TYPE TWENTYSIX LETTERS THUS........

THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG.

...I don't get it.

If that's correct, it's saying that using only numbers and symbols on the top row, you can type the whole alphabet, as shown in the next sentence (the shortest sentence in the English language containing every letter of the alphabet.

If that's correct, it's saying that using only numbers and symbols on the top row, you can type the whole alphabet, as shown in the next sentence (the shortest sentence in the English language containing every letter of the alphabet.

I had no clue what the deal was with the 2nd sentence. Now I really get it. Thank you.

Edited by Brandonb

Thank you very much.

I was completely thrown by the £(pound) = #(pound)

and I still don't get how "(quotes) = @(at)

Do you have a different key board or something?

Unfortunately i do, there are slightly different set ups according to US,UK etc or you can reconfigure them too I believe. Mine does not have the true keys for some, which is a pain in the proverbial, and it has a lovely touch pad that i keep accidentally touching with the side of my thumb, and then a hold load of text sometimes shoots off into a qwerty abyss or lost in space?

When i originally did this I put spaces in but thought I would up the ante for the brainden gang

Unfortunately i do, there are slightly different set ups according to US,UK etc or you can reconfigure them too I believe. Mine does not have the true keys for some, which is a pain in the proverbial, and it has a lovely touch pad that i keep accidentally touching with the side of my thumb, and then a hold load of text sometimes shoots off into a qwerty abyss or lost in space?

When i originally did this I put spaces in but thought I would up the ante for the brainden gang

Yeah, definitely a good idea to leave out the spaces. I used to solve a similar kind of puzzle in a local news paper. It had the letters in a quote randomly replaced by other relative letters, and the spaces were given. The 2 digit combination and lack of spaces made it much more difficult. I'd like to try another one like this, except without a relative keyboard translation.

Yeah, definitely a good idea to leave out the spaces. I used to solve a similar kind of puzzle in a local news paper. It had the letters in a quote randomly replaced by other relative letters, and the spaces were given. The 2 digit combination and lack of spaces made it much more difficult. I'd like to try another one like this, except without a relative keyboard translation.

You would enjoy Simon Singh's The Code Book and maybe more Between Silk and Cyanide - Leo Marks, the latter was a dode breaker in WW11.

I have another to do but the liittluns are rarely giving me time to think, accuracy is letting me down a lot. I'm usually having to do my bit of TV watching for the drama queen. May get more time soon I hope.