BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

#1) Create a 3x3 square of single digits 1 through 9 such that all 3 rows add up to a prime number and all 3 columns add up to a prime number.

#2a) How many unique ways can you do this type of square for? Unique means that the numbers being added in the 3 rows and 3 columns are different, so just rearranging the same square is no good. I don't have the answer to this question.

#2b) Is it possible to make a square like this where the rows, columns AND diagonals all add up to a prime number? I believe it's not, but haven't been able to prove it yet. Obviously, the answer to #2a would provide the answer to #2b. So, I don't have the answer to this one either yet. I'm close though, but figured I'd let you all figure it out if you could beat me to it.

Edited by rhapsodize

6 answers to this question

I don't know whether there is any restriction to use the same number twice. However I came up with the following answer. I think that way there are numerous ways to solve this problem.

Answer:

1 2 8

9 6 2

3 5 9

These is nice twist on magic squares :) I cheated and brute forced it. Would love to see someone get it with logic or math though...

1152 non-unique solutions divide by 3 for column shifts, 3 for row shifts, 4 for rotations, 4 for reflection over axis. gives 8 unique solutions.

and 0 with row/col/dia = prime

All Solutions: magics.txt

These is nice twist on magic squares :) I cheated and brute forced it. Would love to see someone get it with logic or math though...

Here's what I have. I'd hope there was a simpler way than brute force computer program or what I have, but I haven't got it.

Your magic square, if all rows, columns and diagonals add up to a prime number, must obviously all add up to an odd number. 3 numbers add up to an odd number if all 3 are odd (O+O+O) or if exactly one is odd (E+E+O or E+O+E or O+E+E).

The only way you could even possibly configure a 3x3 square like this with the digits 1-9 is if it looked like this:

EOE

OOO

EOE

With both diagonals going E+O+E, there is only so many possibilities that give you diagonals that add to primes.

---With 1, 3, 7, and 9 in the middle, the 2 and 8 must be in opposite corners, and the 4 and the 6 must be in opposite corners. With 5 in the middle, it's the opposite, where 2 and 8 cannot be in opposite corners, and neither can 4 and 6.

So, let's look at 1, 3, 7 and 9 first, which means those numbers (2,8 and 4,6) are in opposite corners.

---With 1 in the middle, the only way to have O+O+O in your middle row/column to give you primes contradicts primes with E+O+E in the other 4 rows/columns. (3,1,9 and 5,1,7 give impossible ways for the outside)

---With 3 in the middle, the only way to have O+O+O in your middle row/column to give you primes contradicts primes with E+O+E in the other 4 rows/columns. (1,3,7 and 5,3,9 give impossible ways for the outside)

---With 7 in the middle, the only way to have O+O+O in your middle row/column to give you primes contradicts primes with E+O+E in the other 4 rows/columns. (1,7,5 and 3,7,9 give impossible ways for the outside)

---With 9 in the middle, the only way to have O+O+O in your middle row/column to give you primes contradicts primes with E+O+E in the other 4 rows/columns. (1,9,7 and 3,9,5 give impossible ways for the outside)

So, the only possibility left is 5 in the middle.

---With 5 in the middle, the only possible way to do O+O+O in your middle row/column to give your primes would be 1, 5, 7 and 3,5,9. There's no way to have this one either. If the 2 is across from the 6 or the 8, it doesn't work.

Therefore, there are no possibilities.

I wish I could easily post my scratch work up here, but unless anyone really challenges me on it, I'm not going into more detail. Basically, the scratch work I did shows that no matter how you configure the evens, you really need 1's or 7's across from 3's or 9's, and none of the O+O+O ways ever gives you that option.

Thanks Acacia, for giving the confidence to prove there were no solutions once I knew there was no solutions!

YEp that's what I got to for 2b as well but it was so much scratch work crossing off the possible combos I didn't bother trying to explain it lol. 2a would take forever to prove :\