BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Lazy-bones Paradox

rookie1ja

• 5 weeks later...

The question relies on the following assumptions any of which can be challenged:

1)there is such thing as destiny

2)destiny can't be changed

3)destiny does not depend on your actions

and a few more that I am too tired to write out right now.

yes it does depend on those. but if one is destined to regain health, then one cannot simply do nothing, eg "in destiny's book" if one will regain health how does one know that it's not planned to go to the doctor to regain health.

• 1 month later...

Destiny is absolutely true. This is life explained by a algebra equation.

(Simplified)

Assuming that each individual is assigned a different letter of the alphabet, and that everything in the known universe is assigned a number, and each individual is assigned a number beside their alphabetical letter from which all other numbers effect that number, destiny is made by the choices of the individual by there interaction with other numbers. It is destiny that the individual will die without seeing a specific doctor. But it is destiny that the individual will live by seeing the right one.

Destiny is a changing variable from which all other variables in the universe effect the solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Lazy-bones Paradox - Back to the Paradoxes

If destiny designed a master plan, which defines everything that is to happen, isn't it useless to for example go to a doctor? If I am ill and it is my destiny to regain health, than I will regain health whether I visit a doctor or I don't. And if I shall not be healthy again, than I will not with or without help.

If I am ill and destiny has a definite plan for me, than it is useless to go anywhere.

How could you question the presented opinion?

the point of man is the saying curiosity, curiosity can build anticipation and can be relived if knowing the answer to your problems and know what to cure the illness and if a uncurable illness it is give up and dont get better.

• 2 months later...

Think about a man in a flood. A boat passes by and he does not get in. He states that destiny will save him. Another 2 boats come by with the same action of relying on destiny. When the man drowns in the flood he wonders why destiny did not save him. Destiny responds with... I sent 3 boats!

• 2 months later...

Peolpe often mix two things together. Destiny is for future, whereas action is for present. So one has to take some action when confronted by choices or options ie to choose one. The result of this outcome is destiny.

Anyway, the concept of destiny is for ones own self. It comforts you when made a wrong decision or opted for something not-so-nice. But it should never stop you from TRYING to make the best possible decision.

• 2 weeks later...

There is one other way to explain this: Destiny does and does not exist at one given point. It exists at all points in the future, if at all. Destiny will only exist if one believes in it, and only for that person. It is more a question of whether or not destiny exists. I would shudder, personally, to think my life was completely planned. I would hate that because i am a free will kind of guy.

• 2 weeks later...

I have small understanding of the human condition insofar as free will and destiny. I enjoy hearing it restated in a challenging paradox that seems to poke fun at our collective ignorance.

What I find interesting is the title of this paradox..."Lazy Bones".

All in all that is what it is.. a choice..

we are ignorant to our own decisions!

Destiny is merely an opportunity to decide or make a choice. I do however, believe that everything happens for a reason (unknown to us at the given moment, of course) and that every little thing "Could/Could Not" be predetermined Destiny. There is no way of knowing for sure WHAT is our destiny but we can control our choices! In that sense if I want go to a doctor because I am sick regardless if I will get better or not.. will it or will it not make me better or worse? I love destiny...and the "laziness" of our choices because of it... or as hughes wrote.... collective ignorance!

• 1 month later...

Destiny is not a matter of chance, its a matter of choice. If I push someone off a cliff, they are destined (it is for sure likely) that they will fall. If you know you are ill and that you will get better, then you should go to the doctor so that destiny can be fulfilled. It is okay to go along with destiny and show choice, effort and patience but you should not go against destiny for if you are ill and jump off a building you will not regain health because being in such a physical world that we live in, we have to abide by certain rules.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok so this might irritate a few people but here is how i see this paradox:

I liken it to the idea that I was taught when I used to attend church which is that God already knows who is going to be saved and how they will come to him. Now my first thought upon hearing this was "why bother with repenting for my sins or living a god fearing life if God already knows whether or not I will be saved? Nothing i do it going to change what has already been predetermined."

And the reality of both situations is that it all depends on your belief system. If you choose to believe that destiny or God or fate determines how your life plays out then you will make all your decisions based on that belief. On the other hand, if you believe that you control your life then all your decisions will be made based on your choice of control.

Ultimately it all boils down to the simple fact that you are going to make whatever choice you want based on your feelings and desires at the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

if the doctor is part of destiny or not :)

if it is - you go to doctor, if not - you sure better don't go

(maybe doctor will broke your leg or do something else upon you)

lazy-bone paradox is opposite of barber paradox.

you can use it in same way :)

if patient will not put doctor in your destiny (to help/kill him), better don't go there.

if barber will not convince villagers they need to be shaved, better don't go there.

I think that destiny does exist but it depends on your ations.

The way you made things out was that if destiny does exist then basically we're all pointless, the whole world is pointless and that we have no choice in anyhting because something/someone has already planned it and we are just entertainment for this person/thing. But that means that everything we feel is made up and the whole world is just a big game to this person/thing. Like we're toys who never see our owner and think that our actions are of our own doing.

But if you think about how much we feel and how complicated life is it just proves that the world can't be a figment of another person/things imagination. You make it out as if the world is just some thoughts in some other person/thing's head but that's impossible. There's just too much going on for it all to be made up.

So I disagree with you on the whole destiny thing but I do believe in it. I think that destiny is like one of those conterfit coin puzzles.When explaining your answer you need to explain what if's...

eg. 1.Weigh Coins ABCD vs EFGH. If they balance go to 2. If they don't go to 2.2. and so on and so on.

So I, personally, believe that destiny depends on what you think and how you feel and what you do. If the doctor isn't bothered and just wants to finish his/her shift and doesn't do his/her best to help you then mabye you'll get beter maybe you won't but the doctor will have to pay if things don't work out. Destiny will make sure of that and destiny may reward you later for trying! However if you don't even bother on going to the doctor, if you give up on the doctor before you even visit him/her then you've got no chance of avoiding destiny. Destiny will make you pay. If you give up on everything without looking for a bright side and without even trying then destiny won't reward you! If you give up then destiny will give up on you.

Edited by Riddle_Lover

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In my religion (Islam) everything that will ever be done is already known by God/the creator/the one who controls destiny, whatever you want to call him. What you do is your choice, it is just already known. So "fulfilling your destiny" in Islam means doing what you were going to do anyway. It is in no means influenced by God. Most of the time, anyway. You could argue that God created everything and his creation influences you to make certain decisions, but then we'd be here here until the end of time (another good topic, actually).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This can be re-defined in an analogous sense as -

Would it be useful if a future-telling machine was ever invented??

Because, it would just show the future, i.e, if it shows one is going to die tomorrow, from an accident for instance, he would have to live one day in grief, for if he tries to save himself from that cause, here by staying indoors, then that machine would prove ineffective, and if he does die like that, then he had to live 1 day in grief. So, the machine would not be useful as such, but still, you would know the future.

Comment on this paradox...make it clearer if you can.

Thanks

• 11 months later...