BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

I have this on The Revival, but I'm making one here cuz there's so many people :P

Basically, this is a forum game where everyone that wants to play must sign up beforehand, and at a certain time I will start, and we are locked in :P

The game is called Mass Battle and the goal is to be the last player standing- you get a big, invisible prize :D

The gameplay is centered around a list of the players and their stats, with each person reposting the stat block after their turn. This is what someone stats are like:

Unreality: GP, atk/def

GP stands for "Game Points", it's sort of like your "health". People can 'damage' you and take away from your GP. When your GP gets to 0 (or below) you are out of the game! Last one standing wins!. GP starts out at 30, for this game (I'm expecting a lot of people)

atk/def are your Attack and Defense stats. They start out as 6/4 and must always total 10

so the starting stats for everyone:

Name: 30 GP, 6/4

so a starting-statblock would look like this:

etc, depending on how many people are playing

Mass Battle game is turn-based... everything happens in "moves". You can move whenever you want, BUT at least TWO people have to go have went before you can move again. In other words, you can't go twice in a row or with one in between, there has to be at least 2 other moves in between before you can take another move.

When you take a turn, there are two things you can do!

* Attack- pick a target, then take your "Attack" stat and subtract your target's "Defense" stat. The remaining number (if above 0) is how much damage you deal to the target. Take the damage away from their GP. If they are now at 0 GP or less, they are out of the game. You can take their name off the stat block

* Rearrange- this is the other thing you can do. You can rearrange your atk/def stats to be any numbers, as long as the two numbers both add up to 10, and are positive. Also, your defense cannot go above 8, so the two extremes you can have are 10/0 and 2/8

after you take your turn, make sure to post the new statblock!!!

So, that's Mass Battle ;D

Phoenix: 30 GP, 6/4

(I'll call myself Phoenix for this game :P)

so, if another person joins, they would post this:

Phoenix: 30 GP, 6/4

TheirName: 30 GP, 6/4

etc

yep ;D any questions about the rules, just post here. Mass Battle can get complicated in later games, when I add Special Moves and other tactical things and all kinds of awesomeness. But for this first game, I'm keeping it simple

• Answers 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

people are still joining, so we'll keep waiting a bit before starting :P 14 people so far

Now that there's enough people, can you declare a starting time and say that anyone who is going to enter has to be in before that time? We'd still wait for your signal to start, but I think it would result in less anxiety for those of us who don't want to get killed off before we know the game has even started. :o

Alright... how about this: Duh Puck will make the first move of Mass Battle, starting off the game when he next comes on and looks at what I'm typing right now... after that, it's game time ;D

Some questions before this begins: Do we wait for everyone to have a turn before we take a second turn? How long does a person have to take a turn? I'm sure we don't want to wait around for a month for someone to post on this.

I hope it's not to late to join and it doesn't look like it since Duh Puck hasn't started yet.

Phoenix : 30 GP, 6/4

Puck : 30 GP, 6/4

Itachi : 30 GP, 6/4

Frazzler : 30 GP, 6/4

Giterdone: 30 GP, 6/4

Nayana : 30 GP, 6/4

Norbi : 30 GP, 6/4

Largeneal: 30 GP, 6/4

GC : 30 GP, 6/4

Puppy: 30 GP, 6/4

jitHU: 30 GP, 6/4

BrandonB: 30 GP, 6/4

ADragon: 30 GP, 6/4

Ezkaty: 30 GP, 6/4

Bociniki: 30 GP, 6/4

Some questions before this begins: Do we wait for everyone to have a turn before we take a second turn? How long does a person have to take a turn? I'm sure we don't want to wait around for a month for someone to post on this.

To quote the original post...

"Mass Battle game is turn-based... everything happens in "moves". You can move whenever you want, BUT at least TWO people have to go have went before you can move again. In other words, you can't go twice in a row or with one in between, there has to be at least 2 other moves in between before you can take another move.

When you take a turn, there are two things you can do!

* Attack- pick a target, then take your "Attack" stat and subtract your target's "Defense" stat. The remaining number (if above 0) is how much damage you deal to the target. Take the damage away from their GP. If they are now at 0 GP or less, they are out of the game. You can take their name off the stat block

* Rearrange- this is the other thing you can do. You can rearrange your atk/def stats to be any numbers, as long as the two numbers both add up to 10, and are positive. Also, your defense cannot go above 8, so the two extremes you can have are 10/0 and 2/8"

THEREFORE, here's interpretation (numbers represent moves)

1-you attack me

2-Nayana attacks puck (you can not go again yet)

3-puppy attacks unreality (still can't go)

4 - NOW you can go again

In theory, this entire thing could happen with 3 people, and everyone else would just get killed for not logging on and attacking.

So, the game appears to have started, so watch out :P

Such a privilege. I feel honored. Let the blood-letting begin!

Puck : 30 GP, 2/8

Giterdone: 30 GP, 6/4

Neal, the game doesn't start untill DP goes. He was given the first move

you goober, obviously! The go ahead was given to start, though, contingent upon Puck's showing up. Now I have motivation to burn someone in this game :D

Looks like i go 2nd :)

Giterdone: 30 GP, 2/8

goobers...setting up defense this time of night?

largeneal attacks Itachi (due to challenging puzzles);

Itachi : 28 GP, 6/4

I just realized it wasn't very sporting of me to request a specified start time, then drop in and make a move without notice. Oh well, life isn't fair. Anyone who says differently is selling something. :ph34r:

Ok, here's one:

are attacks cumulative? For example, puck is a 2/8. If I attack him at 6/4, he receives no damage. BUT, if someone else follows me and attacks with 6/4, does he receive 4 damage points, carrying over from the previous attack??

Ok, here's one:

are attacks cumulative? For example, puck is a 2/8. If I attack him at 6/4, he receives no damage. BUT, if someone else follows me and attacks with 6/4, does he receive 4 damage points, carrying over from the previous attack??

Unreality said in the op that because this is the first game, he's keeping it simple. In later games he will get more technical with things like what you said. If someone with 6/4 attacks someone with 2/8, the 2/8 won't take damnage. you would need at least 9/1 in order to hurt an 2/8. I hope this will clarify's things.

Edited by giterdone

Unreality said in the op that because this is the first game, he's keeping it simple. In later games he will get more technical with things like what you said. If someone with 6/4 attacks someone with 2/8, the 2/8 won't take damnage. you would need at least 9/1 in order to hurt an 2/8. I hope this will clarifies things.

Hmmm...I must have missed that post.

Hmmm...I must have missed that post.

I know you're being facetious, but ... if you read the post carefully, you'll see that it does make it clear that calculations take place within an individual turn, based on the last posted stat block. Since there's no provision from carrying the partial effects of one player over to the next turn, the attack would simply do no damage at all.

In any case, I think your suggestion is an interesting one ...

... but would require other rule adjustments and clarifications to make it work. For example, I would assume that any "pending damage" would disappear as soon as the attacked player moves. It would probably be unfair to allow more than two attacks to accumulate, or for two sequential attacks on the same player, since they would be unable to defend themselves. There would probably need to be adjustments to the attack/defense limits to make it fair, since otherwise there will be a tendency to team up and take out players. I believe the current rules favor defensive play, especially with lots of players. If we could get enough support, I think your suggestion would be a good one, encouraging aggression, and would help the game move faster. We could do something like this:

Starting point:

Puck 30 GP, 2/8

neal 30GP, 6/4

Phoenix 30 GP, 6/4

Turn A: neal attacks Puck

Puck 30 GP, 2/8 -6

neal 30GP, 6/4

Phoenix 30 GP, 6/4

Turn B: something else happens which does not involve Puck

Turn C: Phoenix attacks Puck

Puck 26 GP, 2/8

neal 30GP, 6/4

Phoenix 30 GP, 6/4

However, I think it would be a bit difficult to introduce into this first game at this point. Lowering the defense limit to 3/7 might be a simpler approach to encourage aggression, but I'll leave that one up to unreality.

Incidentally, I kinda like the idea of using Blue and Red to indicate attacker/victim.

Turtling is just too boring. I wanna fight ...

Puck : 30 GP, 7/3

The OP rules seem to be a little vague on this: When you move, can you both attack and change your stats, or just one or the other? If you can do both, then do you have to attack with your old stats and then change? That would seem to make more sense. I also think it would speed things up a bit, since attacking would not be so easy to punish.

COLOR CODE

RED = DAMAGE

BLUE = ATTACKER

GREEN = STAT CHANGES

Giterdone: 30 GP, 4/6

Edited by giterdone

I know you're being facetious, but ... if you read the post carefully, you'll see that it does make it clear that calculations take place within an individual turn, based on the last posted stat block. Since there's no provision from carrying the partial effects of one player over to the next turn, the attack would simply do no damage at all.

In any case, I think your suggestion is an interesting one ...

... but would require other rule adjustments and clarifications to make it work. For example, I would assume that any "pending damage" would disappear as soon as the attacked player moves. It would probably be unfair to allow more than two attacks to accumulate, or for two sequential attacks on the same player, since they would be unable to defend themselves. There would probably need to be adjustments to the attack/defense limits to make it fair, since otherwise there will be a tendency to team up and take out players. I believe the current rules favor defensive play, especially with lots of players. If we could get enough support, I think your suggestion would be a good one, encouraging aggression, and would help the game move faster. We could do something like this:

Starting point:

Puck 30 GP, 2/8

neal 30GP, 6/4

Phoenix 30 GP, 6/4

Turn A: neal attacks Puck

Puck 30 GP, 2/8 -6

neal 30GP, 6/4

Phoenix 30 GP, 6/4

Turn B: something else happens which does not involve Puck

Turn C: Phoenix attacks Puck

Puck 26 GP, 2/8

neal 30GP, 6/4

Phoenix 30 GP, 6/4

However, I think it would be a bit difficult to introduce into this first game at this point. Lowering the defense limit to 3/7 might be a simpler approach to encourage aggression, but I'll leave that one up to unreality.

Incidentally, I kinda like the idea of using Blue and Red to indicate attacker/victim.

hehe, we'll say I was being about 40% facetious, but I was serious about that, because someone sitting at 2/8 will just sit there. Cumulative attacks would just seem to make more sense so the game would not last longer than the MLB season.

Yes, the blue and red is very pretty :)

Puck : 27 GP, 7/3

Edited by bociniki

Another shot to Itachi :)

Itachi : 26 GP, 6/4

The OP rules seem to be a little vague on this: When you move, can you both attack and change your stats, or just one or the other? If you can do both, then do you have to attack with your old stats and then change? That would seem to make more sense. I also think it would speed things up a bit, since attacking would not be so easy to punish.

The OP actually says that you can only do one per turn. Each action you take uses a turn.

BIG THING: ROOKIE SAID THAT YOU SHOULD WAIT FOR 4 PEOPLE TO POST BEFORE YOU POST IN ANY TOPIC. I THINK WE SHOULD HONOR THAT RULE IN THIS GAME AND WAIT FOR 4 DIFFERENT PEOPLE TO GO INSTEAD OF 2 FROM NOW ON.

I guess by talking so much I just made myself a target. <_< Back at you bo-bikini.

Puck : 27 GP, 7/3

Itachi : 26 GP, 6/4

Bociniki: 27 GP, 6/4

Incidentally, I don't think the 4-post rule would work so well in this game. There's a big difference between "posts" and "moves." Also, I've already noticed people mistakenly overlooking previous moves. Be careful to make sure you have an up-to-date stat block before posting.

Edited by Duh Puck