BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Cryptojoke - 7 letters

Molly Mae

Question

14 answers to this question

17 hours ago, Shakeepuddn said:

Hmm. Interesting

I actually have a lot of questions about these.  Is there an etiquette to standardisation similar to crosswords? As an example, if a solution is an abbreviation the clue should contain an abbreviation? (there are no abbreviations in this current crypto)

I feel like if two of the clues in the puzzle can be solved, the third can be used as a validation, sometimes literally giving that Aha! moment.  I thought long and hard about your cryptoalien.  As soon as I saw Wilson's answer, I knew it had to be the answer in hindsight.

I think it can be any method you choose. Standard cryptos use anagrams, but will clue you by using terms like confused or mixed up. Could be a sound alike with key words like hear or said or sounds. Backwards dad could be ap, for pa.

They can be as deep or difficult as you choose. I always include a word or idea that somehow encompasses or points to the meaning of the whole word.

3 hours ago, Shakeepuddn said:

Nuptual?

I'll allow it.  Nuptial

Feel free to critique:

Reverse a dad joke = pun = nup

To marry is a clue to the whole word

The last of the first = the last half of initial = -tial.  Were I to rewrite, this would certainly be the place to start.

• Upvote 1

Ah.  The dad joke is a groanworthy piece of art, usually characterised by a bad or improbable pun.

Some examples:

What's brown and sticky?  A stick

Why do birds fly south for the winter?  Because it's too far to walk.

What language do telescopes speak?  Farsi