BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Hotel Bill

rookie1ja

• 1 month later...

its simple order of operations you would have to do in order so you cant add add multiply u must multiply add if first then add if that explains it

The way this problem is written, confuses people. Each person did not pay nine dollars, they paid ten each. So right now the manager has all thirty dollars. He gives five to the bellboy.

Manager: 25

Bellboy: 5

The Bellboy pockets two dollars and gives each person three.

Bellboy: 2

Person 1: 1

Person 2: 1

Person 3: 1

Add all that up. 25+2+1+1+1= 30

They try to confuse you my making you think each person paid nine, so the manager has 27, and the three people have nothing. TRICKY!

• 1 month later...
This has always been one of my favorite logic puzzle due to its nature of trying to misinform you and make you run with that information. The first time I heard it I spent hours trying to figure out what was up with the 29 dollars before realizing it had nothing to do with the problem, each person paid 9 dollars because the money the bell boy took is factored into their cost.

That is the only way this problem has been explained, that actually made sense to me.

• 2 months later...

You aren't supposed to add the $27 and the $2 as the $2 is meant to be a part of the $27. that $2 is meant to be the 3 mens.

So, they paid $9 each so $27. $25 of this the manager has and $2 the bellboy has. The remaing $3 is the money that they got returned to them and is now back in their possesion.

yes, this is good! the amount $29 has nothing to do with the problem. here's one way to look at it:

original transaction: $10 + $10 + $10 = $30 - $5 ($3 returned to the customers, $2 pocketed by the bellboy) = $25

post transaction": $9 + $9 + $9 (now that the $3 have been returned to the customers) = $27 -$2 (now in the bellboy's pocket) = $25

the phrasing of the riddle leads you to believe that the equation requires re-adding the $2 to balance the equation by also leading you to believe that the sum you are looking for is $30, when in fact it is $25, the real cost of the room!

too funny!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hotel Bill - Back to the Logic Puzzles

Three people check into a hotel. They pay $30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager finds out that the room rate is $25 and gives $5 to the bellboy to return. On the way to the room the bellboy reasons that $5 would be difficult to share among three people so he pockets $2 and gives $1 to each person. Now each person paid $10 and got back $1. So they paid $9 each, totalling $27. The bellboy has $2, totalling $29.

Where is the remaining dollar?

They each paid $9 for a total of $27. The hotel got $25, and the $2 the bellboy stole is the difference (27-25)

Edited by xucam

The way this problem is written, confuses people. Each person did not pay nine dollars, they paid ten each. So right now the manager has all thirty dollars. He gives five to the bellboy.

Bellboy: 5

The Bellboy pockets two dollars and gives each person three.

Bellboy: 2

Person 1: 1

Person 2: 1

Person 3: 1

Add all that up. 25+2+1+1+1= 30

They try to confuse you my making you think each person paid nine, so the manager has 27, and the three people have nothing. TRICKY!

This is gonna be the best explanation. Good job! Simple and clarifying B))

• 2 weeks later...

Stage 1:

Alf hands $10 to Manager

Bert hands $10 To Manager

Charlie hands $10 to Manager - So,

Manager now holds $30

Total held equals $30

Stage 2:

Manager hands $5 to Bell Boy - So,

Manager now holds $25

Bell Boy now holds $5

Total held equals $30