BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

18 answers to this question

I would definitely obey "Don't take any advice".

"Any" advice could mean good advice (or) bad advice. ;)

It all depends on the person giving advice . :)

Right, 'any' could mean good or bad, but it can't mean 'no advice', therefore whether you disregard this or obey it you will be taking advice, or will you? The person giving the advice is irrelevant.

Right, 'any' could mean good or bad, but it can't mean 'no advice', therefore whether you disregard this or obey it you will be taking advice, or will you? The person giving the advice is irrelevant.

Off the record , I won't take any advice . Hey ! I am an independant citizen living in a democratic country which is secular . I will do as I like . :lol:

Seriously I would disobey the statement "Don't take any advice". Without advice from knowledgeable elders and my dear friends , I would be nowhere . I think this holds true for everyone . "Don't take any advice" is a one-way ticket to hell. :)

Advice is like a shopping, you don't put everything in your trolly, Just take what you want from the shelf- Someone ??? or Me ???

Take my advice, don't take my advice - i used to use this 35 yearss ago, sounds like Groucho Marx

I posted this in response to unreality's 'quote' paradox, but I feel it may deserve some discussion as its own paradox. What if you were asked to obey the following statement:

'Don't take any advice.'

it's impossible.. if we did that we would be taking your advice :lol:;)

good one

Its one of those where you want to listen but if you listen, then you can't listen but if you don't listen then you can listen but if you can listen then you can't listen but if you don't listen then you can listen but if you can listen then you can't listen but if you don't listen then you can listen but if you can listen then you can't listen but if you don't listen then you can listen but if you can listen then you can't listen but if you don't listen then you can listen but if you can listen then you can't listen but if you don't listen then you can listen but if you can listen then you can't listen but if you don't listen then you can listen but if you can listen then you can't listen but if you don't listen then you can listen but if you can listen... *Head explodes*

The harder you try to understand a paradox, the more confusing it becomes

Edited by pw0nzd

I think you mean "Dont take this advice" and not "Dont take any advice" because "Dont take any advice" is saying that you allways can, Not to agree to the advice because then you can agree to any other advice and that means you havn't agreed to take the advice but in the fix I said you can't agree to any advice later...

You forgot something. It says "If you had to obey this statement". You can only obey a statement if it's an order since you can't obey an advice meaning that this is not an advice, but an order so you can still obey it without any problems.

My response: "Talk to the hand."

Picture the person standing in front of a tree and saying "don't take any advice". Then he says "Ha, ha! Made ya' do it!"

Its only a paradox if you take the advice or don't. If you take the advice then your not following the advice. If you don't take the advice then you are, by default, following it. That is the paradox, but you could always just walk away from the man without acknowledging him.