BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

golf payout problem

phil1882

Question

so my dad was playing with three other people in golf.

you get 3 dollars for every hole you win, and 2 dollars for odd or unusual shots

each player put in 5 dollars, but my dad didn't have the money nor did one of his fellow golfers.

my dad won all the holes for 12 dollars all together, and the buddy that couldn't pay won all the money from the odd shots.

so because neither he nor his partner contributed to the hole pot, my dad gets 6 dollars from the remaining two players, and his buddy gets 4 dollars for his.

however, anther way to look at is, my dad won 12-5 = 7, and the buddy won 8-5 = 3 for his.

what do you think?

4 answers to this question

edit:

so my dad was playing with three other people in golf for 9 holes.
The bet is each player puts in $5 dollars. There are 2 games being played. $3 dollars of the $5 goes to who has the most points and $2 of the $5 goes to the trash pot.

At he conclusion of the 9 holes my dad was the only winner of the points pot and Larry was the only winner of the trash pot. The points pot should have $12 dollars and the trash pot should have $8.

However my dad didn't have correct change nor did Larry so the pot was left with $10 dollars. Dad took $6 of the $10 and Larry took $4.  The next time they played Larry said we did not distribute the money correctly. Larry said Dad should have gotten $7 and Larry $3. Larry's logic is if everyone contributed to the pot, the trash pot should have $8 dollars in it. After subtracting out his contribution of $5, he should have a net winnings of $3 dollars not $4 dollars, and dad $7 dollars instead of 6.

So which way is right???

Problem does NOT state how the first $ 10 was split , but if split according to initial premise dad should get $6 out of every  $10     The 1st $10 is split    Dad = 6  ; Larry =4      Now they split the 2nd $10     $6  $4  Therefore at this point Dad has $12   Larry has $8    Subtracting out the $5 in each case Dad wins $7   Larry wins $3    Nowhere does it say Larry wins $4.  The mention of $4 out of the 2nd $ 10 is misdirection

The hat should contain $20 ( but only $10 )   By proportionality then $12 becomes $6 and $8 becomes $4.    The 2nd method does NOT work as the following ex: will show  Assuming The winner is to receive $16 and the trash to get $4.    $16 - $5 =$11  ( only $10 in the hat )   The trash $ 4- $5 Means he would owe $1             Where in contrast by proportionality $16 represents 8/10 of $20 and would receive $8 of the $10 ,and 4/20 = 2/`10 = $2

On 4/6/2021 at 1:05 PM, phil1882 said:

so my dad was playing with three other people in golf.

you get 3 dollars for every hole you win, and 2 dollars for odd or unusual shots

each player put in 5 dollars, but my dad didn't have the money nor did one of his fellow golfers.

my dad won all the holes for 12 dollars all together, and the buddy that couldn't pay won all the money from the odd shots.

so because neither he nor his partner contributed to the hole pot, my dad gets 6 dollars from the remaining two players, and his buddy gets 4 dollars for his.

however, anther way to look at is, my dad won 12-5 = 7, and the buddy won 8-5 = 3 for his.

what do you think?

On 4/30/2021 at 10:53 PM, Donald Cartmill said:

The hat should contain $20 ( but only $10 )   By proportionality then $12 becomes $6 and $8 becomes $4.    The 2nd method does NOT work as the following ex: will show  Assuming The winner is to receive $16 and the trash to get $4.    $16 - $5 =$11  ( only $10 in the hat )   The trash $ 4- $5 Means he would owe $1             Where in contrast by proportionality $16 represents 8/10 of $20 and would receive $8 of the $10 ,and 4/20 = 2/`10 = $2

The % of the pay out x money in the pot is correct.                    In the 2nd method you are taking the same  % as before of a larger number composed of real $ and  imaginary money.  The larger % will always produce the larger quotient and therefore when the missing $ in each case is subtracted the larger quotient will appear to have earned more.  This appearance can actually be reversed depending on the amount each fails to include.  Example:A) puts in $25;   B) puts in $15 ;  C)  puts in $0 but agrees to add $19 later ;    D) is such a pitiful golfer He only owes $1 (to be paid later )   All agree the payout will be 0.6 % and 0.4% :    They play and C) wins the 0.6 ; and D) wins the 0.4.    OK there is $40 actual  so C) gets 0.6 x 40  = $24;   D) gets 0.4 x 40 =$16.               Now if they were to calculate using the imaginary amount it would be C) 0.6 x 60 = $36 ;                            D) 0.4 x 60  =$24.                Now you take $19 away from C) $36 wins $17 ;    D) $24 - $1 wins $ 23   A bit wordy and over done  Bottom line is there are 2 different %'s to establish payout.  The larger the disparity of "imaginary $ "between the two winners determines what the false winning amount is in each instance