BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Ranks and Files : Dominoes

TimeSpaceLightForce

Question

12 answers to this question

Thank you Time-LSF! Good one, but ...

Apology for raising this, but there is only one "double 0" and one "double 6" combination directly adjacent next to each other in the grid, although the total of 56 (7x8) matches twice the number of 28 domino pieces in a normal set! The  "double 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5" are fine.

Edited by rocdocmac
grammar

4 hours ago, rocdocmac said:

Thank you Time-LSF! Good one, but ...

Apology for raising this, but there is only one "double 0" and one "double 6" combination directly adjacent next to each other in the grid, although the total of 56 (7x8) matches twice the number of 28 domino pieces in a normal set! The  "double 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5" are fine.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying. A domino consists of 2 squares. So while there are 56 squares, there's only 28 dominoes. So for example, A2 and A3 together are a single domino. 

TSLF- Do you want them arranged in an 8x7 grid like the picture? That would mean some rows and columns would contain more than one of a number. Is that correct?

8 hours ago, Thalia said:

I'm not quite sure what you are saying. A domino consists of 2 squares. So while there are 56 squares, there's only 28 dominoes. So for example, A2 and A3 together are a single domino.

What I'm trying to say is that, if the layout was made by using 2 complete domino sets, there should be two 0-0's and two 6-6's. In the figure there is only one 0-0 and one 6-6. So I guess that the given layout makes use of one 6-6 and one 0-0 only, but adding duplicate dominoes from a third set, e.g. a third 5-5.

Edited by rocdocmac
added text

23 hours ago, rocdocmac said:

Possible solution ... 

Reveal hidden contents

Solution.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler

Corrected solution..jpg

Sorry, there is a slight mistake in my image on the left ... one of my dominoes {1+3 @ e5+e6} is upside down, but correct in the right diagram. Here is the correct image.

Edited by rocdocmac