BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Matchstick Equation

rookie1ja

It has more than one answer, however the one posted, I would declare incorrect (though cute), compared with these answers: xxiii/vii > ii <--- OR ---> xxii/vii != ii These are exactly correct answers. 23/7 does NOT equal pi even if it matches the first 2 decimal places. No math teacher in the world would give that a correct answer. I'd give half credit for the try

I think the whole point of that was that the answer was clever. there are other ways to solve it of course, but I'd definitely say that making it equal pi (to 2 decimal places) definitely took the most thought. Of course everyone who didn't get that answer is angry and is just fuming over the fact that they aren't as clever as the person who came up with the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

First post on this website that I actually agree with. Thank you mystikarts, I thought I was the crazy one...

OMG. I totally hate this site. Every day its something new that doesn't make any sense. Why don't you guys come up with some real brain teasers or copy some from a book or something. This is retarded. It does not equal pi. Thats as good as saying:

XXII

------ = III because we'll just round that one down pretty hard core to make it work

VII

or

XXII

---- = II because were just gonna truncate that .75 so that this works.

VIII

this is dumb; we cant just go ahead and round down or truncate whenever we feel like it just to make a sorry attempt at a brain teaser. Common, just try a little bit. Just a little.

• 2 weeks later...
To be anal, I must point out that this only works to two digits of Pi. As soon as you hit 3 digits, the answer is wrong.

22 / 7 ~=

Pi ~=

He put that the answer is only correct to two decimal places.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like swatizen's. How about this one?

solution.gif[/attachment:001ce]

**A couple of artistic liberties: ignore that the division line is under the "1", and assume that the changed stick can be broken in half. Remember that division occurs before subtraction. So you have 21/7 - 1 = 2.

post-3324-1197655540_thumbgif

• 1 month later...

you're all doing it wrong! notice that if you assume they are roman numerals, then simply take one matchstick from the top and add it to the bottom, making another "v". Then the equation is 22/11, which does equal 2.

• 2 weeks later...
Matchstick Equation - Back to the Matchstick Puzzles

Move one matchstick to get the correct equation.

Edit: the answer is correct only to 2 decimal digits (since equals sign has to be kept).

post-2-1175380965_thumbgif

Matchstick Equation - solution

post-2-1175381026_thumbgif

Very simple....remove the last line from XX||| (i.e 23) & it will be XX|| (i.e 22). Place it the other side on top of the 2 lines & it will be pie(symbolically) i.e 22/7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think there's really only one possible answer: that is, remove any one of the ones and place it at a diagonal over the equal sign, creating an 'inequal' sign (22/7 is not equal to 2, or 23/7 is not equal to 1, etc.).

Matchstick Equation

Move one matchstick to get the correct equation.

It can be the solution also..... :D

Matchstick Equation - solution

post-5059-1204869732_thumbgif

Edited by dreamzMaster

• 3 weeks later...

'Snowman' Mar 5 2008, 10:11 PM'

I think there's really only one possible answer: that is, remove any one of the ones and place it at a diagonal over the equal sign, creating an 'inequal' sign (22/7 is not equal to 2, or 23/7 is not equal to 1, etc.).

THAT'S WHAT I WOULD HAVE DONE!!! OF COURSE THAT WOULD REQUIRE NO THINKING WHATSOEVER WHICH PROBABLY DEFIES THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF THE TEASER...BUT HEY IT WORKS. :rolleyes:

Edited by lulu1221

no, not as per the edit posted long time ago which mentioned: "Edit: the answer is correct only to 2 decimal digits (since equals sign has to be kept)."

well it is still there but something is added, Kept in it original state and meaning or these equals may not be moved reformed or added to other than too mean equals or use other ways to depict equals that are not moveable such as a normal drawn by pen equal sign, though that would somwhat spoil the appearance.

therefore i think they have answered within the perameters including decimal points too.

'Snowman' Mar 5 2008, 10:11 PM'

THAT'S WHAT I WOULD HAVE DONE!!! OF COURSE THAT WOULD REQUIRE NO THINKING WHATSOEVER WHICH PROBABLY DEFIES THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF THE TEASER...BUT HEY IT WORKS. :rolleyes:

Scratch my answer. I like this one better. It solves all exact mathematical laws.

Take any "1", place it diagnally across equals sign!!!

i.e., 22 divided by 7 is =/ not equal to 3.

:lol:

So much for being a comedian! - Now back to studying & coming up with a serious solution!

To be anal, I must point out that this only works to two digits of Pi. As soon as you hit 3 digits, the answer is wrong.

22 / 7 ~=

Pi ~=

You're not being anal, it's what kept me from doing it. This' more a joke then a puzzel. Haha...my turn to buy, "cupla

Heine 's bar tender.