BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

I’m not a gardener

plasmid

Question

Spoiler

Is it perhaps phalanges (finger bones)?

There are 14 bones considered to be phalanges, and it's odd that this number is even because the thumb only has two, otherwise we would have 15. Bones contain marrow, which creates blood cells - white and red/pink? Hands can be used to confer adulation (applause) when not used for slight (a dismissive gesture, or maybe flipping the bird). Woven tight (clasped together, fingers interwoven) mayhaps invoke (pray or beg for) serendipity. 

But I can't explain the last couplet with this answer... at least nothing comes to mind. 

On 2/9/2018 at 3:30 AM, Cygnet said:
  Hide contents

Is it perhaps phalanges (finger bones)?

There are 14 bones considered to be phalanges, and it's odd that this number is even because the thumb only has two, otherwise we would have 15. Bones contain marrow, which creates blood cells - white and red/pink? Hands can be used to confer adulation (applause) when not used for slight (a dismissive gesture, or maybe flipping the bird). Woven tight (clasped together, fingers interwoven) mayhaps invoke (pray or beg for) serendipity. 

But I can't explain the last couplet with this answer... at least nothing comes to mind. 

Right on, Cygnet! Hopefully things make sense to readers with that answer in mind, but I'll go ahead and say what I was thinking for each of the clues.

Spoiler

My band of fourteen cultivates Fourteen phalanges, as you've found
Roses pink and white Fingernails
The oddly even adulates "Oddly even" = the thumb, which is odd because it's the only digit with an even number of phalanges, so oddly even
When not dispensing slight Which means these two lines are, as plainglazed said, referring to thumbs up or thumbs down
Woven tight, mayhaps invoke
Serendipity Prayer would work, but what I had in mind was crossed fingers to invoke good luck
Taken up by flame we stoke Something plainglazed alluded to in an earlier response -- a hand is taken up in marriage by a "flame"
In halo fittingly and is given a wedding ring

In some ways I could see slate fitting, especially with clues about being woven tight and oddly even if multiple different sizes are patchworked together. I’m not sure if it comes in pink and white, but I can’t think of halos for them and there’s a reason for the number fourteen (although I admit it’s not the first number that someone would think of with the thing I have in mind.)

Molly said: "Glass/Silicon (which is in the Carbon group!)"

Spoiler

Silicon ("silicium") is element #14 and glass is silicon dioxide (quartz or sand).

But do we need an occupation here? Glassblower? Doesn't fit the description too well!

And a lipidary/lipidist/lipidarist is already out, too.

Edited by rocdocmac
some additonal words added

Not silicon or glass, or anywhere along the elemental route. I had to do some research to see how well it would fit the clues, which obviously means it wasn’t what I had in mind. The fourteen makes sense with the atomic number, and I could see how silicon circuitry could invoke concepts of binary to explain the thing about adulating or dispensing slight. But there’s a particular reason why I chose pink and white as the colors of the “roses” that get cultivated, and I don’t think the part about serendipity when woven tight would apply to circuitry because determinism rather than luck is generally associated with electronics (at least in most people's minds to serve as a clue in a riddle).

Spoiler

My band of fourteen cultivates - No 14, RMCF defensive midfielder Casemiro
Roses pink and white - RMCF away jersey color
The oddly even adulates - Some say he is the best defensive mid in the world
When not dispensing slight - But he obviously makes mistakes
Woven tight, mayhaps invoke -
Serendipity - goal chance coming from well organized play?
Taken up by flame we stoke - RMA fans are the most demanding in the world
In halo fittingly - RMA logo?

doubt that it is the answer plas looking for

Edited by Barcallica