BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I got a round Birthday cake and I was celebrating my birthday with 7 of my friends.

Now we wanted to share the cake equally among ourselves. so we decided to cut the cake into 8 parts.

Now one of my friend always try's new things.

He asked to cut the cake into 8 equal parts with just 3 cuts. Now we got stuck with this as no one was able to cut the cake with the above constraint.

But when he showed us then we were all satisfied.

Can anyone tell me how my friend was able to cut the cake in 8 parts by making 3 cuts.

6 answers to this question

Simply cut the cake into quarters as normal (4-90 degree angles with vertical cuts), then cut the cake through the horizontal!

Which works great, unless there's frosting on the top, because then 4 pieces don't have frosting!

I got a round Birthday cake and I was celebrating my birthday with 7 of my friends.

Now we wanted to share the cake equally among ourselves. so we decided to cut the cake into 8 parts.

Now one of my friend always try's new things.

He asked to cut the cake into 8 equal parts with just 3 cuts. Now we got stuck with this as no one was able to cut the cake with the above constraint.

But when he showed us then we were all satisfied.

Can anyone tell me how my friend was able to cut the cake in 8 parts by making 3 cuts.

He made two perpendicular cuts from above through the center of the cake, and then cut the cake in half along it's height. Making 8 equal pieces.