BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

UN Mafia III

araver

UN Mafia III

Secret Alliance: Wincon - Last standing
China -- The size of the country allowed it to send a replacement for the representative lost in the previous game. Each night chooses a player to target and remove from the game. Action is unstoppable except via save. Will use its electronic interception technologies to find out the identity of the target if target is saved. Once during the game (ODTG) can remove a vote.

UN Alliance: Wincon - Last standing.
USA -- The size of the nation and its offensive capabilities, demand it acts but not two nights in a row. Chooses to invade (kill) on even or odd nights at the beginning of the game. Must invade on said night, if no target is drawn it is randomly selected (cannot invade self).

Germany -- Its economic influence grows steadily which leads to an increase in political influence. Sometimes is forced to save nations in dire need, but would prefer preventing actions. Each night can save a player but there's a 50% chance that this backfires in which case Germany loses its vote the next day.

Russia -- Has hundreds of satellites floating in space. Can use one per night to spy an alive nation either to see who targeted it or to see who that nation acted upon. Once during the game (ODTG) Russia can instead get lucky and find out a player's true role.

United Kingdom -- Has worldwide influence among its former colonies. Once per night it can blockade a country, but not the same country twice in a row. Blockading stops any day or night action except for ODTG actions and the Secret Alliance's night invasion.

Australia -- Has an interesting choice of possibilities due to its cultural diversity. Has 4 agents at its disposal, each can be used once: 1. Add 1 extra secret vote, 2. Remove a vote, 3. Protect (save but cannot be cast on self), 4. Break quarantine (used during the day can make the player quarantined by Sweden able to vote and be voted for).

Indy
Sweden -- A nation with nothing to contribute to war and naturally inclined to peace. From time to time, may choose to temporarily side with a Faction or the other, in order to protect its own interests. Each night can quarantine a country but not the same twice in a row. Quarantine acts like a trap - saves from kills / invasions and renders the target neutral - unable to vote the next day or be voted for (but can speak). Once during the game (ODTG) can veto out a country (RID Kill) at any point during the day or the night, but will forfeit acting the next night if that happens. Sweden cannot die N1 (NK attempt won't appear in the NP).

Wincon: Outlive two secret countries and the Secret Alliance. Stops game if successful. Must be alive at the beginning of the next phase in order for "outlive" to be counted. Secret targets are drawn at the beginning of the game and are known only to Indy.

Rules
* NP shows invasions (kill), protections (saves) and quarantines (trap).
* DP shows lynched players (no hint if the vote was manipped.
* Tie: D1 no lynch, D2+ all players in tie are lynched.
* OOA: Night invasion (kill) >> Blockade (block) > Quarantine (trap) > Protect (save) > Regular invasion > Spy
* Blockade / Quarantine will be told to the players regardless if they had an action that was blocked or not
* Regular invasion can be blocked, the SA night invasion cannot be blocked, only saved from
* Sweden's ODTG RID veto cannot be blocked or saved from as it happens instantly

Players:

1. Thalia
2. bonanova
3. Molly Mae
4. Flamebirde
5. maurice
6. MikeD
7. plasmid

Backups:

Roles are out, Night 1 ends Monday Feb 20th at 9 PM UTC (About UTC). That means 4 PM EST and 11 PM for me.

• Upvote 1

The wincons for both the goodie faction and the baddie faction are "last standing" while the wincon for the indy is to outlive two secret countries and the secret alliance (which in this case is just China) and the game stops if Sweden wins.

If China is eliminated and Sweden outlives the two secret countries to meet its wincon, does that mean the UN Alliance loses?

If so, Sweden is almost as much of a threat as China.

Adding the FAQ from the signup thread:

1. The OOA seems to say that the NK will happen before anything else. How does that work with saying it can be saved from? 

That's why there's a separate rule saying save protects from NK. Other than this loop, the OOA is linear from left to right.

2. Just to be sure, does save refer only to protect or to the save part of the trap as well? 

Both of them.

1 hour ago, flamebirde said:

So if Sweden messes up the RID kill (i.e. misidentifies the target), can Sweden try again? That is, is the RID kill "one success per game" or "one attempt per game"? And if Sweden does misidentify the target, are we notified?

One attempt per game.

No, only succesful RID kills appear.

Night 1: Once more unto the breach. Once more?

~~~~~

Seven people awoke at the same time to find themselves in a dimly lit room. A round doughnut table with chairs was in the center of the room. Most of them were dressed informally and as they surveyed their surroundings some tried to remember where there were the previous day. Yeah, everybody pretty much wanted an explanation for their presence there. Some had heard rumors of experiments in previous years and some had witnessed them but memories were fickle at best. And most had refused to believe something like this could happen to them (again). As rumors were passed in whispers from one another the chatter increased across the room.

A flash and a hooded figure appeared in a mist in the center of the round table, surrounded by a cone of light.

"If you can have a seat, I'm sure we can find a way to answer your questions as quick as possible. Some of you might already know where I'm going with this ... but I'm afraid that lessons were not learned, so he we are again.", they heard from the figure. One by one they moved towards the table, eyes cast on the figure.

"Sometime ago, after being fed up with your reckless messing with forces beyond your control, I've attempted to ... mend the ends so to speak. While it worked for a little while, the situation has taken a turn for the worse recently and I find myself again unable to stand idly and watch. So hear me out!".

"You are playing for your lives and your nations interests as well. Out of this room, you'll find color coded rooms. Don't mind the empty rooms. Inside your room you will each find a safe that only opens with your fingerprints and iris scans. Inside the safe an envelope with instructions. Study them wisely and remember time is scarce. Also, nothing exists outside of these rooms unless I tell you. We’ll adjourn in the morning!"

The Hooded Figure disappeared without a sound and the doors squeaked open by themselves. One by one, they retreated to find their quarters.

~~~~~

The Secret Alliance member was watching his target from across the bar. As he watched his target order another round of drinks he sighed. "Yet another Bond". He left the bar twenty seconds after his target and walked towards faking a dizzy step along the way. As Plasmid stopped at his door and glanced over the shoulder, all he saw was someone trying to find balance. Key in door, he heard the blip from the door opening followed by the crush of a body against the floor. "Are you OK buddy?" he asked turning around slowly ... but as his eyes began to take in the sight he felt a tingling in his neck. As his hand tried to reach up towards the place his brain wanted investigated, his own brain played a trick on him. It surely wasn't that big of a ... he fought to finish that thread of thought as he collapsed to the floor, caught by hands that muffled the sound. His body was not to be found till morning.

~~~~~

The Swede had studied all the things the Hooded Figure had provided him with and pondered his odds. He had to be subtle about it, cause no one actually wants peace with both arms open. He went off the corridors and to the fifth room on the corridor. Cautiously he sprayed the content of one of the vials in his toolkit to the doorknobs and heard a small puff as the metal liquified. Maurice won't be joining tomorrow's talks. Except via Skype but that wasn't counting as present nowadays.

~~~~~

Tl;dr version:

Spoiler

* China invades Plasmid's
* Sweden quarantines maurice

~~~~~

Players:

1. Thalia
2. bonanova
3. Molly Mae
4. Flamebirde
5. maurice - quarantined by Sweden
6. MikeD

7. plasmid - Invaded N1 by China

Day 1 ends Wednesday Feb 22nd at 9 PM UTC (About UTC). That means 4 PM EST and 11 PM for me.

• Upvote 1

Players:

1. Thalia - voting for bonanova
2. bonanova
3. Molly Mae - voting for Thalia
4. Flamebirde
6. MikeD

Welcome vote to bonanova.

plasmid is definitely not the Swede. There is the possibility of Maurice being the Swede but that's pretty doubtful. Going to guess the US picked kills for even nights since it wouldn't make sense to kill completely at random right off the bat. Missing a block in the night post and potentially a save.

Do Germany and Australia's saves show in the night post if their target wasn't targeted for a kill?

If Germany's save backfires, are we told?

Players:

2. bonanova
4. Flamebirde - voting for Thalia
6. MikeD

Well, if we want pressure we need to vote for the same person.

Are blocks (both unsuccessful and successful) shown at all?

Yeah. . . I've been having a lot of duplicate posting issues lately. . .

Since Araver answered no to both questions, you have all the information I have. I would guess if a block was unsuccessful, it wouldn't show. So I'm not sure what pressure on me will get you. But to summarize if you missed it:

plasmid is not the Swede

maurice is most likely not the Swede

Guessing plasmid or maurice is the UK but I can't say that for certain

Guessing US has picked even kills for obvious reasons

Edited by Thalia

Germany didn't target Plasmid, and the block didn't target Sweden. Russia, make of that what you will.

In terms of strategy, if Australia is still alive, s/he should save at least one vote manip power down to the end, so if it ends up as a 1v1 the vote manip will win the Goodies the lynch (or at least tie it if China still has the ODTG vote removal).

It may also be good for the U.S. to pick their kills in an obvious way if they don't have a good target (something like killing Thalia (#1 on the roster), then bonanova (#2 on the roster), and so on), so Germany can reliably save the target. Of course, this is also a bad strategy since it tips China off quite a bit, and also it wastes the save, but it might be worth it simply so we don't have a loose cannon.

Beyond that, Germany is the least valuable player on the team in the end game, since if it comes down to a 1v1 then the 50% chance to not have a vote could make the game a loss instead of a tie.

In addition, plasmid is confirmed to be a goodie, since the Swede acted and China killed him, which means the game is now a 4v1v1... If after the lynch today we get a goodie, then it's 3v1v1 going into the night. If the baddie kills another goodie (75% chance) and U.S. kills a goodie (50% chance), then it's 2v1v1 going into D2. I'm not fond of those odds.

Players:

2. bonanova
4. Flamebirde - voting for bonanova
6. MikeD

For now, Thalia's satisfied me. Bonanova?

And a few questions:

Will Russia be told if the target didn't act or had a day action?

Can Russia use their ODTG spy a dead player?

2 hours ago, flamebirde said:

Germany didn't target Plasmid, and the block didn't target Sweden. Russia, make of that what you will. Germany has a 50% fail rate so it's possible.

In terms of strategy, if Australia is still alive, s/he should save at least one vote manip power down to the end, so if it ends up as a 1v1 the vote manip will win the Goodies the lynch (or at least tie it if China still has the ODTG vote removal). Agreed. 

It may also be good for the U.S. to pick their kills in an obvious way if they don't have a good target (something like killing Thalia (#1 on the roster), then bonanova (#2 on the roster), and so on), so Germany can reliably save the target. Of course, this is also a bad strategy since it tips China off quite a bit, and also it wastes the save, but it might be worth it simply so we don't have a loose cannon. I don't like this for two reasons. First, you just suggested killing me. Second, your plan to save me only has a 50% chance of working assuming Germany isn't killed, blocked or trapped. If Germany's save backfires, does that mean the save fails or Germany just loses a vote?

Beyond that, Germany is the least valuable player on the team in the end game, since if it comes down to a 1v1 then the 50% chance to not have a vote could make the game a loss instead of a tie. 

In addition, plasmid is confirmed to be a goodie, since the Swede acted and China killed him, which means the game is now a 4v1v1... If after the lynch today we get a goodie, then it's 3v1v1 going into the night. If the baddie kills another goodie (75% chance) and U.S. kills a goodie (50% chance), then it's 2v1v1 going into D2. I'm not fond of those odds. If US and China hit 2 different goodies, it'd be 1v1v1. Pretty bad odds. But the odds of Germany or the US picking the same target as China also goes up too. If they all pick the same target. . . Australia has an ODTG save. Since the US will have to target tonight, might make sense to use it the coming night so we have a save and a half. The UK's block is a bit scary right now with the chance of hitting the save but they might hit the US too. . . 

1. Are blocks (both unsuccessful and successful) shown at all?

No.

2. Will Russia be told if the target didn't act or had a day action?

Told "Target did not act" in case target did not act or had a day action and it was follow spied (see who target acted on).

3. Can Russia use their ODTG spy a dead player?

Not a player that died before. Can spy a player the same phase he dies.

4. If Germany's save backfires, does that mean the save fails or Germany just loses a vote?

Save still goes through. Backfire leads only to vote counting x0.

Sad to see Araver gone as his analyses are usually pretty insightful, and I rank myself still as a newbie.
Anyway that said, I'm fairly certain that y'all want me in the game for reasons stated in a previous post.

Hello MikeD:

Players:

2. bonanova - voting for MikeD
4. Flamebirde - voting for bonanova
6. MikeD

4 hours ago, bonanova said:

Sad to see Araver gone as his analyses are usually pretty insightful, and I rank myself still as a newbie.
Anyway that said, I'm fairly certain that y'all want me in the game for reasons stated in a previous post.

:blink:Has something happened to Araver that the rest of us don't know about? I've seen attempts to lynch the host before but not a night killed one yet. :o

4 hours ago, araver said:

Privately.

Blocker is told if action failed/suceeded per rules in OP. Blocked player is told only if block was succesful.

Well, I guess we can ignore my previous guesses that plasmid or maurice are UK based on that... -_-