BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

UN Mafia III

araver

2 minutes ago, Thalia said:

You didn't literally call him a liar but you've contradicted his claim that you're China. If he's claiming to be Russia having spied you and you're contradicting him, I'm not sure what else that means.

For the record, I never said Maurice was 100% China, just that it's most likely.  I know he's not Sweden and him killing N1 just doesn't jive with me as a Maurice action.

Thought I saw something in my grid for a moment that might indicate Molly being China but it seems to be clearing him now. Am curious though about who your targets were and your results. Doubt it's going to make any difference but am curious.

On a completely unrelated note, what's with the honey-pickled apples recipe in your signature?

Edited by Thalia

I used to run a micro-bakery almost a decade ago.  My girlfriend at the time also enjoyed baking and introduced me to honey-pickling.  I kind of fell in love with the process, so even after I stopped baking a lot, I kept on pickling apples (and peaches) for pies and cobblers.  It's just out there in case anybody ever got curious enough to click on it and think, "Huh, that sounds pretty neat.  I want some!"

As for my targets, since I covered this in a previous post: Maurice can't be Sweden because of his N1 action.  After the MikeD lynch, I wanted to verify Bonanova's claim about Hanlon's Razor, so I used the ODTG role-spy ability.  I also figured he was the least likely to die in the night either because he was China or because there was a lot of suspicion on him.

Molly hasn't spied me if he's Russia.  He never said I'm China cuz I'm not.

I say we have a 100% chance to win.  Lynch fb I kill Thalia.  Well I guess 100% unless Molly IS lying.  But then I have two choices to kill.  If I'm lynched I see no way for us to win.  We likely increase Sweden's chances to win with China on standby

The best shot for kill is N3.  I had to kill N1 to get that shot.  N2 was just as much a crap shoot to me as N1 so yes killing N1 is a mo action... Cuz I did it.

Day 2 : Conundrum

~~~~~
The Hooded Figure had been a little surprised to the turn the discussions had taken that day. All in all it was a good day for talks. But this was not the UN. Talks are not everything in this game, as the Hooded Figure had intended all along. As the day ended, the delegates began to stir again in anticipation. They all had plans for the future and all depended on today's voting outcome. And yes, China was out! Maurice was cast from the table and before he reached for the door ...
~~~~~
An envelope was cast towards Flamebirde. Cautiously, he opened it up and read the words written on it "I Sweden, hereby veto you as Germany!". Mumbling under his breath, he stood up and went after maurice.
~~~~~
The remaining delegates stood baffled with the result wondering if they did anything wrong. "Not really or more accurately the lesser of two evils is yet another evil. But it's in the game, is it not?", he smiled at them. "Please join me in welcoming the leader of the new UN council, Thalia! Peace be with you!"
~~~~~
Host: araver
1. Thalia
2. bonanova
3. Molly Mae
4. Flamebirde - RID Killed D2 by Sweden
5. maurice - Lynched D2 as China
6. MikeD - Lynched D1 as United Kingdom
7. plasmid - Invaded N1 by China
~~~~~

Game ended with Indy win!

~~~~~
Roles:

Spoiler

1. Thalia - Sweden
2. bonanova - Australia
3. Molly Mae - Russia
4. Flamebirde - Germany

5. maurice - China
6. MikeD - United Kingdom
7. plasmid - USA

Actions:

Spoiler

N1:
*maurice - China - NK Plasmid - Success

*plasmid - USA - Kill even nights - Success (dies)
*Flamebirde - Germany - Save bonanova - roll succeeds, no vote penalty, action fails as not needed
*Molly Mae - Russia - Spy who maurice targeted - sees nothing as NK is "group" action and mo is double blocked
*MikeD - United Kingdom - Block maurice - Success
*bonanova - Australia - N/A

*Thalia - Sweden - Quarantine maurice - Success

D1:
* Maurice - China - RID remove vote N/A
* Bonanova - Australia - N/A

N2:
* maurice - China - Kill flamebirde - fails, learns Flame is Germany
* Flamebirde - Germany - save Thalia - roll backfires, vote x0, save not needed
* Molly Mae - Russia - ODTG spy bonanova - bonanova is Australia
* bonanova - Australia - save Flamebirde - Success, shown in the NP
* Thalia - Sweden - Trap Thalia - Success, shown in the NP

D2:
* Maurice - China - RID remove vote N/A
* Bonanova - Australia - can't act same cycle
* Thalia - Sweden - ODTG RID Flame as Germany - success

Secret targets:

Spoiler

Indy's secret targets: China / Maurice + Germany / Flamebirde + United Kingdom / MikeD

Final remarks
~~~~~
First of all, thank you all for signing up. I must admit I had my worries when I put the signup topic, but you were great! And secondly, thank you for the level of activity you've shown. I hoped you got to enjoy the game, even if it only lasted a couple of phases.
~~~~~
I thought goodies had the front place for a while, with Molly/Russia getting good looks at maurice and bonanova, and with a lucky save N2 from bonanova. Maurice/China was both blocked and trapped N1 and choosing plasmid as US (who could have hurt the goodies N2 or deal with the Indy N3) proved to be less advantageous in the end-game.
However D1 almost-abstain and the mass-outing in D2 meant there was little chance that Sweden couldn't RID Kill the last target. Both the baddie vote manip and goodie remove/add votes were not actually used. I liked how Flame talked about his vote D2 when it was actually x0 (which could have messed with baddie's ODTG remove vote) and how Molly Mae soft claimed two roles early D1 without being obvious about it.
~~~~~
For the clarity of the win and the effort that went along with it Thalia deserves the MVP Award for this game! Congratulations.
~~~~~
And if any of you are partial to the idea, I'll post some more signups next week.

46 minutes ago, flamebirde said:

I guess outing everything wasn't such a great idea.

I'll disagree here.  Thalia won the race to victory because of who her targets were.  If there had been another left alive, we would have won.  If we hadn't outed, I would have been likely to vote for you instead of Maurice and I think Bonanova would have been a ripe target for Maurice to lynch.  I don't think we could have gotten a consistent vote without my outing and vouching for Bona.  Heck, even after the outing, I was still about 80/20 that Maurice was bad.  If he had claimed Germany at the beginning of D2, though, I would have lynched you without a doubt.  Whoever claimed Germany first was going to be who I sided with.

I had fun!  Thanks for hosting, Araver, and thanks to everyone for being super awesome!

2 hours ago, maurice_2.0 said:

Hmmm if we lynched fb I would have kill Thalia... I wonder who she kills... Then it's 1 v 1 with my vote manip... I guess what I'm saying is once Thalia trapped herself, goodies were toast. 

Correct.  The only way I saw the goodies winning was if too many of Sweden's targets were alive or China NK'd Sweden without knowing it (which we knew hadn't happened from the post, but maybe could have happened if FB was, in fact, China).

3 hours ago, flamebirde said:

Well played, Thalia. I guess outing everything wasn't such a great idea. Well, you live and learn. Good job all!

Wait, did my bluff actually work? Did Maurice remove a vote? Like, it actually has no bearing on the outcome of the game, but I still want to know.

If it makes you feel any better, I had you and Molly as Germany and Russia before the mass outing. Thought bonanova sort of claimed Australia earlier but figured if the US killed him I'd be better off whether he was Australia or China. He seemed like the biggest threat to me with his day actions. If maurice had removed a vote besides flamebirde's, it would have been a tie and I wouldn't have even got the chance to use my RID kill. :angry: When I was first reading through, I didn't realize you were expecting me to kill Molly. Got a bit of a laugh from that. So the biggest thing the mass outing accomplished was it made sure you got China. 

If you had lynched fb, I would have RID killed maurice which would have been blocking.

I did get really lucky with bonanova getting the UK lynched D1 so thanks for that. :P

On another note, I came extremely close to not acting at all N2 to try to frame plasmid as Sweden. Might have given mo's claim more credibility with neither Sweden nor China showing...

So now that I know asking won't get me killed, what's a PGP public key block? And where were those soft claims? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Thalia said:

On another note, I came extremely close to not acting at all N2 to try to frame plasmid as Sweden. Might have given mo's claim more credibility with neither Sweden nor China showing...

Wouldn't have worked. As per the rules, Sweden can't get killed N1.

2 hours ago, Thalia said:

May want to reconsider in the future given your eventual fate. ;)

Ack, stop making me feel bad...

6 hours ago, Molly Mae said:

If he had claimed Germany at the beginning of D2, though, I would have lynched you without a doubt.

And I wouldn't have had a good response... Why would you have lynched me instead?

6 hours ago, maurice_2.0 said:

I did not.  It wasn't helping this day.  I needed it D3... Also cuz I'm USA. Araver lies

Personally, I still would have gone for it; you weren't going to live past D2 at that point, so might as well take someone out with you. I guess in the end this whole "remove vote" thing didn't matter at all, but for the amount of time I agonized over it, I wish it had.

True. But at least I wouldn't have drawn the attention I did. I also considered trapping Molly because of his self trap comments. Wanted to see how he'd handle that. 

Lol. Sorry. But like you said, live and learn. Hope you'll still be able to trust me when we're actually on the same side. XD

It's amazing how much time you can spend agonizing over something that doesn't matter in the end. I spent way too much time thinking about the possibility that maurice was actually the US, Molly was China, and I'd have another cycle to deal with. Can I convince flamebirde to save me to guarantee at least a goodie tie? If bonanova gets killed and I kill Molly the next day, it'll be me without a RID kill and Germany... I had like 3 different nightmares over a couple hours last night where maurice turned out to not be China... All this after I had told myself Molly had to be Russia...

I think I may have a mafia-life balance problem...

7 hours ago, Thalia said:

I did get really lucky with bonanova getting the UK lynched D1 so thanks for that. :P

That was my huge screw-up (last I had looked, the vote was a tie which I took to be safe, then I forgot I had a work-out session at the gym - with a PT or I would have skipped it - that kept me from checking back before the 4pm EST deadline.) Damage control, I had to consider how much info to disclose to explain it, without it sounding like fake news / alternative facts. Decided to wait for conclusions and talk them down, quietly, instead, which seemed to work.Anyway, I let the goodie team down, especially MikeD, and I apologize for that.

@Thalia, when you turned from chatty to serious you confirmed your identity.;)
Too late, as it turned out.:unsure:
Hoist on my own petard.

Thanks to Araver for a fine game. I am totally up (down?) for another game.

16 hours ago, Thalia said:

Thought bonanova sort of claimed Australia earlier ... He seemed like the biggest threat to me with his day actions.

So now that I know asking won't get me killed, what's a PGP public key block?

Yes. I said "for reasons given earlier" or something like that cuz someone mentioned Aus's powers might be good for endgame. Nice catch.

PGP means (I think) Pretty Good Privacy, an encryption scheme, from back in the early '90s.

9 minutes ago, bonanova said:

PGP means (I think) Pretty Good Privacy, an encryption scheme, from back in the early '90s.

Yeah, it's an asymmetric encryption method that uses a public key to encrypt and a private key to decrypt.  Basically you could send a message and be guaranteed that only I could read the contents.