BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

UN Mafia III

araver

1 hour ago, flamebirde said:

Of course. ;) For now, though, you seem trustworthy enough. A fatal mistake in mafia, but you have to trust someone.

And a word of caution to China: you can't ally with Sweden. If you do, then Sweden just RID kills you for a victory (or even traps himself so he can't even be lynched or killed), so if it comes down to a 1v1v1, it'll be (strangely enough) goodies and baddies versus the indy.

Shh!!! Trusted people get NKed...:unsure:

If it comes down to 1v1v1, I don't see it ending in a goodie win. Lynch Sweden and China NKs. Lynch China and Sweden could RID kill or even win from the lynch. Not sure what would happen if it's China against US. China comes first but the kill is not blocking...

1 hour ago, flamebirde said:

Right. I guess U.S. goes for bonanova. Germany then should try to save him, Germany is dead. Thalia isn't in the clear (nor is anyone, really...) but bonanova had a good chunk of time to change his vote (around sixteen hours), and he didn't. That's suspect to say the least.

So, If we're agreed - Bonanova is both targeted for U.S. kill and then saved (depending on the availability of Germany). Either no kill happens, or the kill goes through and Bonanova dies (but if we're honest, we'll probably lynch him D2 if he survives... so maybe Germany is better off saving someone else).

"Germany then should try to save him, Germany is dead."

Don't quite understand that sentence. 

Haven't heard anything from maurice since the start of the game. Maybe still reading those manuals. But it looks like 3 of us are for targeting bonanova for the kill. I'm not sure either way on the save though. My head's spinning trying to figure out the numbers for different scenarios but why target for kill and save when you intend to lynch him the next day anyway? If Australia is alive, tonight would probably be best for using that save. At least we don't have to worry about accidentally blocking the saves...

If someone is targeted for a kill by both China and the U.S., will a save still keep that person alive? And if it doesn't (i.e. save only cancels out one kill), are we told that one kill failed and one kill succeeded?

Save protects from all kills on target. Except for ODTG RID veto which happens instantly.

17 minutes ago, bonanova said:

One last plea for mercy, now based on maurice being a better target..
(Edit: anyway, if I die, I'll get to watch the experts. I fear I've just screwed things up.

Could maurice be China? Probably not since China acted N1.

Could maurice be Sweden?

Maurice is very likely not Sweden.  I'd bet on it, with potential to lose money, of course.  He could be China, since the NK likely doesn't get stopped by a trap (the NK isn't "carried out" by any person).

Sadly, the US has to kill somebody.  Luckily, Sweden can either attempt to self-save by trapping himself or take the risk of China or the US killing him.

As for who a better target for the US is, I don't have a clue.

17 minutes ago, bonanova said:

One last plea for mercy, now based on maurice being a better target..
(Edit: anyway, if I die, I'll get to watch the experts. I fear I've just screwed things up.

Could maurice be China? Probably not since China acted N1.

Could maurice be Sweden?

Maurice is very likely not Sweden.  I'd bet on it, with potential to lose money, of course.  He could be China, since the NK likely doesn't get stopped by a trap (the NK isn't "carried out" by any person).

Sadly, the US has to kill somebody.  Luckily, Sweden can either attempt to self-save by trapping himself or take the risk of China or the US killing him.

1 hour ago, Molly Mae said:

The question is what kind of player is Sweden? The risk taking kind who possibly frames someone or the play it safe kind?

30 minutes ago, bonanova said:

OK. And I won't suggest Thalia.

Except there is the intellect needed to pull off a great ruse. (meant as a compliment.)

My idea about maurice is that he seems to be a no-show, not a night killer.
C'est la vie.

Thanks...I think... This is a site full of intelligent people with the potential to pull off a ruse. :ph34r:

Maurice has seemed unusually quiet. Trap doesn't stop talking although I'm not sure what he would have to say being trapped.

@Thalia, good points.

I've played only a few Mafia games. I wish I had accepted Unreality's invite to play, back in the day, and learned it better. Coupled with a hope for a few more games to follow this one. My comfort zone is math and logic, where all the needed info is provided, just needing insight and clear thought. This is more fun, actually, and with experience I might get better. Or, I'm a very slippery guy and everything I just said is garbage. :P.

When does the night end?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bonanova said:

@Thalia, good points.

I've played only a few Mafia games. I wish I had accepted Unreality's invite to play, back in the day, and learned it better. Coupled with a hope for a few more games to follow this one. My comfort zone is math and logic, where all the needed info is provided, just needing insight and clear thought. This is more fun, actually, and with experience I might get better. Or, I'm a very slippery guy and everything I just said is garbage. :P.

When does the night end?

You've played before. . . I did not know this. . . Makes me lean towards the garbage side. :P

I played in two games, a year or two ago, which were organized in hopes of re-convening the forums. Rookie sent out invites to past players. I think I even won in one game as the baddie. Here, (1) I'm puzzled by maurice's silence, unless he signed up and forgot, (2) I voted MikeD to get him to talk, then thought he would stay in a tie vote and not be lynched (and was preoccupied by another matter and missed checking in in time to remove my vote,) (3) have no clue as to who China is unless it's you, but only because China would be wise I think to actively deflect suspicion, more that any other player, and you have posted as much as anyone. But that's flimsy evidence.  I hope I survive the night if only to learn an identity or two. But I wouldn't mind dying if learning my identity would help the goodies win.

btw this could be slippery garbage even if I hadn't played before ... I have it in me....B))

8 hours ago, bonanova said:

I played in two games, a year or two ago, which were organized in hopes of re-convening the forums. Rookie sent out invites to past players. I think I even won in one game as the baddie. Here, (1) I'm puzzled by maurice's silence, unless he signed up and forgot, (2) I voted MikeD to get him to talk, then thought he would stay in a tie vote and not be lynched (and was preoccupied by another matter and missed checking in in time to remove my vote,) (3) have no clue as to who China is unless it's you, but only because China would be wise I think to actively deflect suspicion, more that any other player, and you have posted as much as anyone. But that's flimsy evidence.  I hope I survive the night if only to learn an identity or two. But I wouldn't mind dying if learning my identity would help the goodies win.

btw this could be slippery garbage even if I hadn't played before ... I have it in me....B))

We should try to get Maurice to talk tomorrow. As for deflecting blame, you'll have to check with the others but I don't think I've deflected any blame. I'm just as suspicious as the rest. You just happen to be a bit higher on the list than the rest of us. I believe saying that I've posted as much as anyone would mean your argument is we could all be China...

It could be garbage if it were your first game. But now I know you've practiced your garbage. :P

Hey guys, sorry I'm here.  Didn't realize I could talk when I was trapped and then I'm having issues accessing the site on my phone.  I'm on through Firefox now and it works better than Chrome I guess.

I will catch up at lunch and see what I can contribute, hopefully before the night ends in case I was mercy/mod killed.

• Upvote 1

Night 2 : Animated Barriers

~~~~~
The australian agent pushed the book back on the shelf and smiled to himself. Three hours of study and now he knew how to operate those little robots. No longer afraid of IoT wonders, he programmed this one to erect a forcefield around at a given time. Then set it around in the hall where it crawled towards Flamebirde's room.
~~~~~
As the chinese agent moved towards his target his senses picked up an eerie low sound. Stopping by his target's door, he tried to unlock it electronically. Sure enough it clicked, but it did not open. As he tried again and again, Flamebirde opened his door and froze with a shoe in hand. The agent moved his hand to his concealed silenced weapon but Flame reacted and shot his half polished shoe towards the gun. As it hit the agent, his hand jerked on the trigger. Flame rolled to the side, but no bullet went through. They both saw it floating in the air hanging like an insect caught in amber. They've been aussied.
The agent recovered first, grabbed the shoe and the gun and ran across the hall, dumped his clothes in a closet and sneaked back into his room. He mumbled and shot dark glances at the mirror. No one likes to be thwarted by gadgets. But his lips crooked into a smile as he removed enough electronic equipment and data from the shoe to figure out who Flame was, then went to sleep.
~~~~~
The Swede had another vial from the Hooded Figure ready come nightfall and took extra care on spraying the contents to the doorknobs of his target. Sure enough, Thalia won't be joining tomorrow's talks.
~~~~~
TL;DR version
* China tries to kill Flamebirde who is saved by Australia
* Sweden traps Thalia
~~~~~
Host: araver
1. Thalia - quarantined by Sweden
2. bonanova
3. Molly Mae
4. Flamebirde
5. maurice

6. MikeD - Lynched D1 as United Kingdom
7. plasmid - Invaded N1 by China

Day 2 ends Sunday Feb 26th at 9 PM UTC (About UTC). That means 4 PM EST and 11 PM for me.

Awesome save, Australia.  You're the best.

Maurice and Thalia are almost certainly our targets.  There is a slim chance that Flamebirde is Sweden, but it's unlikely. EDIT: Is it as unlikely?  Not sure.

1. Thalia - quarantined by Sweden
2. bonanova
3. Molly Mae - voting for Maurice
4. Flamebirde
5. maurice

6. MikeD - Lynched D1 as United Kingdom
7. plasmid - Invaded N1 by China

Edited by Molly Mae
Porkchop sandwiches

1. Thalia - quarantined by Sweden
2. bonanova
3. Molly Mae - voting for Maurice
4. Flamebirde
5. maurice - voting for bonanova

6. MikeD - Lynched D1 as United Kingdom
7. plasmid - Invaded N1 by China

Well, if I read up correctly it seems that the two best options are Molly and bonanova.  The question is which order do we want to test/lynch them in.  I don't "know" that they are both Sweden and China, but I have reason to believe that at least one is one of the two.  I don't think Australia can free Thalia if he acted already.  My gut tells me Molly would trap me before bonanova, but my heart says he'd have wanted me around Day 1.  So what does my brain say?  It says let's give bonanova a chance at the hot seat...for MikeD.

Forgot to add, that one could be Sweden and one China and of the two I'd rather get Sweden first.  If we wait too long we could be gifting a win to him by getting rid of China.  So based on that I'd pick the most likely to be Sweden of the two.  Could be Molly is the most likely to be China, but I didn't think that far.