BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Scales

rookie1ja

At first I thought I had it, then I saw the answer and I was right. Then, I read the posts and I noticed a few people posted that the answer rookie1 had posted moved 6 not 5, so I went back to the answer and I noticed that he did in fact moved 6 (unless the one that remained straight in the middle didn't count because it was only slightly shift, but that didn't make any sense, it was still moved) so I thought I had done it wrong too but if we move the left scale to even out with the right scale using the same method, instead of moving the right scale to level out with the left, there is no need to shift the middle stick, which eliminates that move, leaving only 5. I don't know how to post pictures and stuff :( , so I'll owe you guys the illustration :blush: .

The bottom stick of the original right scale remains as the right side of the top bar and the other match sticks move down to form the new right scale.

Edited by this_guy_lucas

Picture the original as a 3d image and it's already balanced.

SpikedVerga - I tried to draw this out and can't figure out how making it 3d gives you anything other than a 3d unbalanced scale. What am I missing?

• 3 months later...
This can be done in 4 moves...

post-3996-1201397227_thumbgif

well i disagree with your photo because if it were to be like that the only way that that diagram would really be true is if the two weights were sat on a flat surface cause the middle suporting beam to sag. what im trying to say is that your diagram doesnt show the two weight s being the same weight

The solution in the first is indeed correct. At worst with the tools he was given he wasn't able to get the angle exactly right. The bottom of the right triangle becomes the bar (which is arguably a bit more away than the original bar). You move the 5 he has grayed out and presto a balance scale in 5 moves.

Another really good twist would be to first ask for 5 then as for less than 5 (the solution here would be the perspective change with 0 moves)

The solution posted by rookie1ja is absolutely correct. Only 5 sticks were moved, NOT 6. The bottom stick of the upper (right hand) triangle remains in place and becomes the right half of the balance beam, The two sticks making the rest of the right hand triangle, plus the stick making the original right half of the balance beam move down to make the new right hand triangle, the stick making the left hand of the balance beam moves down to align with the right hand portion, the stick representing the pivot/support is moved down to line up with the new position of the balance beam. Sketch it out and you'll see that only 5 sticks have been moved.

Edited by Bill47

Picture the original as a 3d image and it's already balanced.

I have to agree with this comment....but it's also easily done by moving the upper 2 pieces of the right triangle, to point downward, then move the 3 'balancing' upper pieces of the puzzle slightly lower to bring the balance-bar to a level position and the far upper one slightly down along with the other two you just moved. Theorheticaly, it would be balanced. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

the first one is right. the right triangle was not moved down, it was inverted. If you move down the "hook to the top match" on the left, it is parallel to the bottom of the triangle on the right.

• 3 months later...

please remember the described obtuse triangle required to solve this problem can not exist with the isosceles triangle describing the scales on the left..you have an imagined straight line that does not exist..this can not be solved..