BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Signups for a Mafia game?

araver

Disclaimer: Although loosely inspired by actual historical events, this story is fictional and not intended to depict any actual person or event.

UN Mafia III

Secret Alliance - Have BTSC and a night invasion (kill). NK must be carried out by a player.

China -- The size of the country allowed it to send a replacement for the representative lost in the previous game. Can use electronic interception technologies. If China can successfully guess the Nation (player) who is the recipient of a message from South Korea, China may read the message (silent intercept) OR replace it with a message of his own (active intercept), but not both. During the day, may secretly change one vote. WINCON: Secretly wants revenge for losing face in recent games. Cannot leave unless both USA and Russia are out of the game.

North Korea -- Nuclear devices were just a cover for North Korea's top secret project: building a better Google Earth. They have satellites that cover the whole globe. Can spy 1 player per night, even if that player is dead. If they spy Russia, Russia learns their identity as well. WINCON: Doesn't like their Southern neighbors and will do anything to see them eliminated. Cannot leave the game until South Korea is eliminated.

Iran -- Still walking a thin line, wishes to dominate and prevent other nations of controlling its neighbours. Ability - Each night can hire an external agent. Ability comes after a roll of die - 1. No action  2. RID Kill 3. Spy 4. RID Kill 5. Block 6. No action. WINCON: Can only leave the game if he eliminates a player via personal RID Kill action OR by carrying the NK 2 times.

UN Alliance - No BTSC, No group abilities.
USA -- The size of the nation and deployed security makes it impenetrable during some nights. It cannot die at night on odd nights. It's offensive capabilities allow for a RID Kill each even night. WINCON: Must correctly RID Kill 1 baddie or get targeted for a kill (and survive) before attempting to leave the game.

Russia -- Has hundreds of satellites floating in space. Can use one per night to spy an alive nation. However their spying technology is easy to detect with the right equipment. If an alive member of the Secret Alliance is spied, the Secret Alliance will be notified of the fact that Russia spied one of them (and which of them), but will not be told Russia's identity. WINCON: Must spy one of the three baddies before leaving the game.

South Korea -- Has a hard time dealing with their pesky northern neighbors. Silently monitors activities and can tell which player targeted which nation (instead of the other way around). S. Korea can also send a message (through the host) to one Nation. The message will be delivered at the beginning of the following day. WINCON: Must successfully deliver two messages to friendly nations. The contents of the messages do not matter, as long as the messages were never intercepted by China. After the second message is delivered successfully, S. Korea may leave the game.

Germany -- Its economic influence grows steadily which leads to an increase in political influence. Sometimes is forced to save nations in dire need, but would prefer preventing actions. Each night can choose to save a player OR try to guess the Night Kill carrier. If Germany guesses correctly, the NK is blocked (but not the other action of that player). WINCON: Must save (successfully) a player OR guess and block the Night kill to be allowed to leave.

Australia -- As a penal colony, Australia can imprison one player per night, but not the same player two nights in a row. Target is chosen during the previous day (so there is no action during N1). Imprisoned players cannot act that night and lose BTSC with their teammates if they had any. WINCON: They try to prove that they are just as worthwhile as their allies. Cannot be the first of the UN Alliance to leave the game (they can leave, however, if at least one of the alliance is dead).

Canada -- Learns the faction of players imprisoned by Australia, but not their role. The size of the country allows vote manipulation (own vote) during the day (x0, x1, or x2). WINCON: Before leaving the game, Canada must lynch one of the Secret Alliance members (final vote is the lynched player and not x0).

United Kingdom - Has worldwide influence among its former colonies. Starts with no abilities (vanilla), but when one of the English speaking countries (US, Canada, Australia) dies, UK takes over the actions / active abilities of that nation. Every night, UK can choose only one ability to use from the available list. After inheriting abilities, if UK outs that one of the nations has died, it loses all the inherited abilities. WINCON: Cannot leave the game until at least one of USA / Australia / Canada have left the game (or are dead and UK managed to successfully use at least once a inherited ability).

Indy
Sweden -- A nation with nothing to contribute to war and naturally inclined to peace. From time to time, may choose to temporarily side with a Faction or the other, in order to protect its own interests. Sweden cannot die N1 (NK attempt won't appear in the NP). Secret WINCON. Secret Ability (1 ability). 

Rules about WinCons (Goals before leaving the game)
- All WinCons are to reach an individual goal then leave the game.
- To leave the game, the player must sacrifice his night ability and declare that he wishes to leave the game (PM host at night). After this declaration, he must survive that night and following day. If he survives both, he may leave.
- After submitting the LEAVE action, the following day their vote is (secretly) counted x0.
- Blocks do not prevent a player from leaving, but an imprisonment does. An imprisoned player must be freed before attempting to leave.
- If a player attempts to leave without completing his assigned goal, he will be informed that he cannot leave only AFTER the night and day cycle have completed.
- When a single faction manages to eliminate the other faction, there's no one stopping them to leave the game so all alive players from that faction automatically leave/win (this bypasses individual WinCons).

Other rules:
- Order of actions is chronological (i.e. all rules are ">>") Imprison >> LEAVE >> Block >> Save / Guess NK >> NK/RID Kill >> Spy >> Message Send/Intercept
- Night Kill is stopped if target is trapped, imprisoned or saved. NK is also stopped if Germany guesses the NK carrier or the NK carrier is RID Killed or trapped. Night Kill can be redirected.
- RID Kills can only stopped if target is trapped or arrested (imprisoned) (cannot be stopped by Germany's save or guess)
- Regular Kill (die-based) can only be stopped if target is trapped, arrested or saved (cannot be stopped by Germany's guess).
- Redirected spies will not be told they were redirected. Instead, they will receive the role of the person they were redirected to.
- Night-post will show only successful actions. Spies will not be shown.
- D1 tie lynch=no lynch. Any other day tie = All tied players are lynched!

Testing the waters (host): araver

Players: 

Backups

Since I don't know how many of you have re-accessed your accounts or are able to join or are reading this, or are willing to play ....

... I'm just gonna spam everyone who expressed an interest in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 (or later) :P and any who played in my games before. And anyone I can think of (and the auto-complete still works)

@Thalia

@Yoruichi-san

@Yodell

@Molly Mae

@onetruth

@Hirkala

@marksmanjay

@flamebirde

@Kikacat123

@phil1882

@phaze

@bonanova

@BMAD

@Panther

@TwoaDay

@plasmid

@tolecnal

@nana77

@Auramyna

@dee_tot

@SuperJack

@curr3nt

@maurice_2.0

@Framm 18

@plainglazed

@Logophobic

Oh, and also, you can vote for playing the game with individual wincons OR deleting these wincons and making it a normal Den Game: Goodies versus Baddies versus Indy.

(I would really appreciate your input on this since in previous games not all players who pushed their team to a winning position actually got to win)

I haven't been on MM in forever so I don't know how active things are over there. Might have to do some recruiting from that end. I'm still here from time to time but not as often as I used to be. Think I can be on more if this works out though.  Hope you can get the people. 

how come I was not spamed!!!1

it been a bit of a while since i been on here, i was just passing through and thought let me join a mafia game.

(Host): araver

Players: 
1.Thalia
2.bonanova
7. MikeD

Backups

On 1/28/2017 at 7:46 AM, araver said:

Oh, and also, you can vote for playing the game with individual wincons OR deleting these wincons and making it a normal Den Game: Goodies versus Baddies versus Indy.

I would cast a mild vote for G / B / Indie game because I'm such a novice. Having said that, the present rules are nicely done.

14 hours ago, bonanova said:

I would cast a mild vote for G / B / Indie game because I'm such a novice. Having said that, the present rules are nicely done.

Would that be so you can get more help from your baddie buddies? :P I'm on to you...;) Let the insanity commence...

Hmm. If a baddie leaves, that potentially hurts his buddies. Too bad there's no backstabbing emoticon here. 

Players: 
1. Thalia
2. bonanova
7. MikeD

Backups

Voting for:

* Classic game: Bonanova

* Individual wincons:  

Indeed the individual wincons make for a different backstabbing setting possible, but given the long hiatus of games here, I won't push for it now.

And @MikeD sorry for the lack of spamming. I'll make up for it :D

6 hours ago, araver said:

And @MikeD sorry for the lack of spamming. I'll make up for it :D

Oh dear! What have i done :)

Questions about the wincons:
  Are we informed that a player is trying to leave the game?
  If someone leave the game, does the game continue?

18 hours ago, MikeD said:

Oh dear! What have i done :)

Questions about the wincons:
 1. Are we informed that a player is trying to leave the game?
 2. If someone leave the game, does the game continue?

1. No, only the player knows he submitted Leave to the host.

2. Yes, the game continues up until everyone leaves or there is only one faction left.

8 hours ago, plasmid said:

Wow, quoting the roster and removing formatting sure is more difficult on BrainDen.

I find it next to impossible on phone, but it can be copy-pasted with formatting and colors on a PC :D

7 minutes ago, araver said:

Nothing to see her except half roster is full already.

I'm gonna spam some more if we get to Valentine's day. But I'm already happy.

I sent Hirk a direct message.  Maybe he'll jump in.

I told myself I wouldn't mafia again, but eh.  This might be fun.

EDIT: Is BD super slow for anyone else?  Or just me?  Page loads seem to take forever.  

Edited by Molly Mae
Things

21 hours ago, Molly Mae said:

I sent Hirk a direct message.  Maybe he'll jump in.

I told myself I wouldn't mafia again, but eh.  This might be fun.

EDIT: Is BD super slow for anyone else?  Or just me?  Page loads seem to take forever.  

It is slower for me as well. Limited bw I guess. But at least it doesn't give 502 error messages.

Also, since this is filling up but most that signed up don't check daily, I'd like to make it a 48h phase (each day/night lasts 2 days).

23 hours ago, araver said:

It is slower for me as well. Limited bw I guess. But at least it doesn't give 502 error messages.

Also, since this is filling up but most that signed up don't check daily, I'd like to make it a 48h phase (each day/night lasts 2 days).

Sounds good.  It also looks like the daily maintenance just ended.  Not sure how that should factor into day/night cycles. 

Well, for me it loads very slowly sometimes, so I shrugged it off as a bandwidth problem.

But I've seen the daily maintenance message once.

Players: 
1. Thalia
2. bonanova
3. Molly Mae
7. MikeD
9. plasmid

Backups

Voting for:

* Classic game: Bonanova, plasmid

* Individual wincons: Molly Mae

6 more spots open.

I think I can shrink it down to 7 players (1vs6vs1), but I would need to dump the individual wincons to do so.

Edited by araver

Players:

1. Thalia
2. bonanova
3. Molly Mae
4. Flamebirde
5. maurice
7. MikeD
9. plasmid

Backups

Voting for:

* Classic game: Bonanova, plasmid, Flame

* Individual wincons: Molly Mae, maurice

Well, we have seven (but 6v1v1 is 8, might be able to go 5v2 and dump the indy), so we could do the condensed game. I'll cast my vote for a classic game, just so we can get the show on the road a bit quicker.

14 hours ago, flamebirde said:

Well, we have seven (but 6v1v1 is 8, might be able to go 5v2 and dump the indy), so we could do the condensed game. I'll cast my vote for a classic game, just so we can get the show on the road a bit quicker.

I was thinking more like 7 = 1 baddie vs 5 goodies vs 1 indy, hosted 2 Mafias the same size recently so I'm pretty sure I can balance it in a classical setting. If no one signs up till Friday night, I'll trim it, send out the roles and N1 can end Monday.

The individual wincons can't be balanced for a trimmed version unfortunately. Anyone leaving the game would make it lopsided and I don't see enough ideas of individual wincons to make a miracle in-game balance for events. But I guess I can run it again in the future as a redux of the OP if there are more people interested during the summers for example. So, all is not lost.

I'd rather have you play since you all showed up and signed up ;)

• Upvote 1