BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

grey cells

Question

In a sequence , in general , i.e in most of the cases , we always proceed to find the numbers in ascending order . For a change , let's try it in the descending order. We generally do not attempt to design such a sequence as it has to start from infinity .

So in this sequence , there are no numbers prior to the first number(to reduce the complexity) of the sequence . So just start from the first number . :)

Find the missing number :

97 81 79 63 61 54 _ 45 43 ..... ;)

16 answers to this question

In a sequence , in general , i.e in most of the cases , we always proceed to find the numbers in ascending order . For a change , let's try it in the descending order. We generally do not attempt to design such a sequence as it has to start from infinity .

So in this sequence , there are no numbers prior to the first number(to reduce the complexity) of the sequence . So just start from the first number . :)

Something along the lines of the digits add to 5, and 50-5=45.

I see some of that in the sequence, but I don't see all the rules in the sequence.

It looks to me like 52 works...,or at least no evidence was given to show that it is incorrect.

The sequence that makes 52 work is the following:

Subtract the sum of the digits from the number, (eg 97-(9+7)=81).

Then subtract 2

and repeat.

Notice that if you pair up the second and third, the fourth and fifth, etc that the difference is always 2.

It looks to me like 52 works...,or at least no evidence was given to show that it is incorrect.

The sequence that makes 52 work is the following:

Subtract the sum of the digits from the number, (eg 97-(9+7)=81).

Then subtract 2

and repeat.

Notice that if you pair up the second and third, the fourth and fifth, etc that the difference is always 2.

I agree, 52 seems to fit perfectly

OK . Sorry for the delay guys . I got up late this morning(headache).

Yeah . 52 seems to fit the sequence . First Nikyma got it and then Eventhorizon gave the right explanation . And Noct too is right .

But what I had in mind was something different . So I will add a couple of numbers to the sequence to make it clear :

New sequence : 97 , 81 , 79 , 63 , 61 , 54 , _ , 45 , 43 , 36 , 31 .....

OK . This definitely makes the sequence clearer. :)

53...the missing alternative prime!!!

Yes . Storm has got it . :)

52 would have been correct for the first sequence , i.e. , before I had added a couple more numbers to the sequence .

Sequence : 97 81 79 63 61 54 53 45 43 36 31....

97 -> 9+7=16 .

97-16=81(2nd number in sequence)

The prime number after 81(in descending order) would be 79(3rd number in sequence).

Again 79 -> 7+9=16.

79-16=63(4th number in sequence)

The next prime number would be 61(5th number in sequence).

And so on....

I thought some of you would see 97 and 79 , and go for palindromic sequences . But I think nobody fell for that one. ;)