BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Dvds for Christmas

BMAD

Question

I hate to bring up my dvds again (My old post about my dvds) but I love movies and so of course i got 6 new dvds for Christmas.  Before Christmas , i had 26 dvds in ABC order.  With each DvD starting with 1 of 26 letters in the English alphabet. After i put my new 6 dvds up, how many places to the right should i expect my "U" DvD to shift? 

2 answers to this question

We cannot assume that the general letter frequency of the English language applies to this collection of DVDs. The only data we have, one occurrence of each letter in a collection of 26 titles, suggests a uniform distribution.

Spoiler

There are 20 letters in the range [A-T], which go to the left of the U, and 5 letters in the range [V-Z], which go to the right. There is also the U which may go to the left or to the right. Without additional information, we must assume a 50/50 split in this case. This gives us 20.5/26 to the left of the U and 5.5/26 to the right of the U. With six new DVDs, we can expect a 4.7:1.3 ratio to the left and right of the U. That is, we should expect the U DVD to shift 5 places to the right.