BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Olympic paradox

bonanova

Question

11 answers to this question

Possibilities:

Spoiler

**(2) The disqualified winner could have been the gold medalist, and not necessarily the silver medalist.
(3) The "single event" could have been for two separate games, where the awardee may have been unavailable to have participated in the award ceremony due to injury or illness (or some justifiable reason), and was awarded the earlier games medal during the award ceremony in which he was also awarded one for the "current" game. (Not a likely scenario).
(4) The Olympic event may have been non-sports related, such as for Graphic Works in 1948 in which Alex Digglemann won both the Silver and Bronze (for his design of two separate posters).

Possiblities:

Spoiler

(1) Though a single event, the individual won medals for two separate categories in the event.
(2) The contestant placed third and was awarded the bronze.  The silver medalist was eventually disqualified after the initial awarding and the bronze-winner was then awarded the silver.

This certainly qualifies as a question "... especially where intuition might suggest wrong answer. "

So my intuitions suggest :

Spoiler

( 1 ) the person performed for two different countries

( 2 ) there was a tie between the bronze and silver? Naah, then there would be more than one person satisfying the condition...

All good ideas. What happened is a little more out of the box, tho. I suggest reading the OP carefully and don't constrain your answer unnecessarily. But by that I don't mean the wording is tricky.

@CaptainEd, You're correct one one point:

Spoiler

The person named in the OP won the medals outright (not tied with someone else) but s/he competed for only one country, (which happened to be Switzerland.)

@Raphael lane,

Spoiler

I don't know whether there were other contestants; no gold medal was awarded.

@Thalia, that's an interesting slant. To clarify,

Spoiler

what I mean to imply by both instances of "single" is "unique or particular." In the first instance It does not mean "not married."

3 hours ago, JJLeDJ said:

The person was a gymnast (or an equestrian) where their individual score is also used in the team scor meaning they could win an individual bronze and a team silver or vice versa

@JJLeDJ, nice approach. In those cases, an individual could receive both a silver and a bronze medal. But it doesn't quite fit the terms of the OP for the reason that it would be the team that won one of the medals, and it technically would not have been a single event.

Welcome to the Den!

On 1/18/2016 at 6:40 PM, JJLeDJ said:

I was wondering if it is possible to enter the tennis doubles with two different partners as countries are allowed more than one entry

I think the fact that they might eventually meet and have to play each other would make that not possible.