Nordic canine

A Byzantine with a twist

A vehicle of the West Indies

Viking law

An attractive East African

Arabian spousal reception

Courtesy of an Asian

Coins of an Eastern Bloc Republic

Hey Thalia - great to see you here still.  Hope some of the other old regulars might also still stop by on occasion and that we might gin up some new interest, too.  I have not been active here for some time but have always regularly checked in.  Planning to change that lack of posting starting with this little silly one.  These all have two word (possibly a couple of two syllable) answers that are (hopefully) "punny" and have a common theme of sorts perhaps apparent in the recurring similar subject of each and hinted at in the title.  Am a little out of practice but think some of these are okay and might garner a chuckle or two.  May reveal one a little later as an example if they still seem too elusive.  Thanks for responding and giving me the opportunity to explain a little.  Hope you'll look at them again.

Hey T - that does work and is one I had in mind when first gathering common two word pairings with a peoples/nationality theme.  Still have another answer in mind with a different Nordic and totally different type of canine (and a pun).  When you get that one you'll see the flavor of these.  Please don't give up.  They really are not that obscure and I think once one falls...

Coins

Money Hungary?

Down under rocker

Don't think it quite follows the pattern but I found out Ozzie was another term for Australians so I'll throw it out there. Ozzy Osbourne? 

Byzantine

Turn Croat? 

No full guess for these but ideas for parts if anyone else is trying

Patagonia=Chile?

Andalusian=Sevillian/civilian?

• Upvote 1

hey T - your first one above does indeed work yet is different than mine.  I really like it.  The very last two of this puzzle are derived a little differently than the others (well my answers were at least).  Your second answer above is as I intended but not your third one.  Will have to do a little Wikipedia-ing to look into a Croatia/Byzantium connection.  This one anyway is my least favorite and I might should have culled it before posting.  And one of your "ideas" matches where I was coming from - okay the first one. - Cheers

and @ bonanova - thanks man,  liked that one, too.

so far...

Picture of a Scandinavian - photo Finnish, by Thalia

A bohemian defender of the bar - Czech bouncer, by Thalia

Patagonia costume jewelry

A down under rocker - Aussie Osbourne, by Thalia

Middle Eastern dairy product - cheese Kurd, by Thalia

Fast track Andalusian mount?

Nordic canine - Swede tooth, by Thalia

A Byzantine with a twist

A vehicle of the West Indies

Viking law

Formal courtesy of an Asian?

Coins of an Eastern Bloc Republic

Can't find the page I was looking at. It had a list of cities that were part of the empire and the present country. Just looked at a map and it looks like Croatia was more Roman. May have been a few cities on the eastern border so that one was stretching it.

I see you edited one

BowThai?

dim(e)Pole?

Edited by Thalia
  • Upvote 1

@ Thalia - that edit came about when I copied and pasted from my notes with answers, good catch and nice solve for that one.  that and the last one are similar ie homographs vs homophones

@ bonanova - yeah, I agree.  Thalia is quite good at these.  Now realize they are less apparent then when I was composing them.  My sense of difficulty was somewhat skewed after playing with them for a while.

@ Wilson - Hou's it gaun auld friend?  Great to see you here.  Good answers, both yet different than mine.  

Grand Kenyan?

Hitting a wall with the others. Not familiar with the terms "costume jewelry" or "spousal reception". I've been assuming the latter is referring to a wedding or something somewhat related. Is that right? 

As for the difficulty, it's always easier when you're the one with the answers. :P

Edited by Thalia

Hidden Content

Hitting a wall with the others. Not familiar with the terms "costume jewelry" or "spousal reception". I've been assuming the latter is referring to a wedding or something somewhat related. Is that right?

As for the difficulty, it's always easier when you're the one with the answers. :P

I really like that one as an alternative answer so will consider this one solved.  For what it's worth, mine involves a neighbor of yours.  The work I'm looking for costume jewelry is a straight synonym but perhaps now realize not so common knowledge?  The "spousal reception" clue can and should probably just read "spouse."  Nothing about a wedding but the "reception" bit relates back to the answer.  The "mount" in one of the other clues is similar.

It's always easier when you're the one with the answers. :P

Totally! And, nice find on that last one.

yeah, oops

Hidden Content

right on plasmid, nicely deciphered

@plasmid - lol. Keep forgetting these may not sound exactly like the phrase. Especially when it's the first letter that's different. Thanks for the reminder.

Hidden Content

EDIT: Whoa. BD has tagging now? :o

nah, no wedding involved

Coins

Hidden Content

woot woot,  these last two were kinda extra credit and figured they'd go last.  well done, Thalia

Byzantine (barely?)

Hidden Content

gonna go with no on that one.

Patagonia costume jewelry

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Byzantine with a twist

Hidden Content

hey plasmid - your last one above will call half right.  this one's not my proudest.  your middle one above is quite clever/chuckle inducing, nice.  guess the first one's also half right and along the right subject.

West Indies

Hidden Content

yes indeed!  cruisin now.