BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

10 circle points

phil1882

Question

there are 10 points on a circle.

a -b = b -c = c -d = d -e = e -f = f -g = g -h = h -i = i -j aprox = j -a

with e being between a and b, f between b, c, g between c, d, h between a, e, i between b, f, and j between c, g.

what's the distance between a and b? assume a circle of radius 10.

Edited by phil1882

9 answers to this question

Given the radius of the circle as 10, the circumference of the circle is 20π. The distance between A and B is 6π.

Each point is 108° apart from a point labeled with the alphabetic character that is adjacent in the alphabetic sequence, with a and j also 108° degrees apart, and each point being 2π units apart, with a complete circuit being thrice around the circle (three rings ... so send in the clowns.)
Edited by DejMar

@DejMar,

Looks like you calculated the distance along the circle's curve, while I calculated the distance along the straight line. The OP doesn't explicitly ask for one or the other, but I think unless explicitly stated otherwise, the distance between two points is the shortest distance.

If the distance between a and j are equal to the distances of of the given pair distances being equal, then the chord length (the straight line between two points on a circle) of AB will equal 10*√(2 - 2*cos(3π/5)), which is approximately 16.18034.

The distance between a and j can also be greater or lesser than the distances between the other points, but without any other information, for those two cases the exact distances between A and B is indeterminable. If the distances are rounded between the other pairs of points after determining the distances between the ten points, then the distance between a and j, of course, will not equal the others.
Edited by DejMar

Seeing the answer given as (1+sqrt(5))*5, I decided to use the trigonometric identities and a table of exact trigonometric values to express 10·√(2 - 2·cos(3π/5)) without the trigonometric function.

As cos(2u) = 2·cos2(u) - 1, and (3π/5) = 2·(3π/10), u can be equated to (3π/10).

cos(2·((3π/10)) = 2·cos2(3π/10) – 1, which, as cos(3π/10) = √((5 - √5)/8), the expression can be further be simplified as ¼·(1 - √5).

Thus, 10·√(2 - 2·cos(3π/5)) = 5·√(6  + 2·√5) = 5·√(1 + √5)2 = 5·(1  + √5), which is the same as the answer presented in post #5.

Edited by DejMar