BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Six sixes to make 1,000 (modified version)

Perhaps check it again

Question

Form as many horizontal-style arithmetical expressions as possible that equal 1,000.

In order to limit the total number of possible solutions, the following rules of mine are in place:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use exactly six sixes.

Use no more than one pair of parentheses.

Use no more than one "/" symbol.

Use no more than two decimal points.

Use no more than one minus (subtraction) sign.

Concatenation is allowed.

No other symbols/characters/operations are allowed.

19 answers to this question

Your rules indicate the only operations permitted are concatenation ||, subtraction -, and division /. Is that correct? 

[spoiler=Or are these special operations and mathematical notations also permitted?]exponetiation (visually, does not require any special symbols when using simple superscription. The character symbols ^ and ** are only used when superscripting is not an option), tetration (the same is true for this operation, when superscripting the operation is alternately represented by ^^ or Knuth's double arrows. The other notation I inquire is whether one can use base notation.

I am assuming you are using a modified interpretation of the concatenation operator, allowing it to concatenate the result of an operation and not simply two numerals. The operator precedence of the concatenation operator, in regards to the other operators, is last. Does this still hold true for this puzzle?

Edited by DejMar

DejMar,

concatenation here only means that you can place two or more digits next to each other to form

multi-digit numbers, such as ".66" or "66."

".6" is not properly represented by being preceded by a 0, because it is just as correct a form as "0.6" is.

"0.6" is not permitted here for this puzzle.

No "||" should be in the expression.  Just the result of doing it should be in there.

For your first expression, you should just type:

(666 - 6)/.66

It would be correct that way.

For your second expression, I don't know what you intend for it to represent.

Edited by Perhaps check it again

The concatenation operator used in mathematics is symbolized with ||.  With the rules mentioning the it was a valid operation, an assumption was made that the symbol was to be used.
Of course 66 already uses concatenation, but the operator is not used (visible). This is true of all multi-digit numbers.

(66/.66)||6-6

The operation within the parenthesis results in 100, the operation right of the concatenation operator results in 0, then 100 concatenated with 0 is 1000. Parenthesis were not really required.

(66||6-6)/.66
In this expression, parenthesis are required as the division occurs after the concatenation.
66 concatenated to with 0, the result of the subtraction, is 660 (it is the the same as 666 - 6).  660 divided by .66 is 1000.
Edited by DejMar

No, the standard for these types of puzzles is the solver is permitted to only concatenate the original

digits given in the puzzle at the outset, giving numbers to work with.  The resulting numbers are then 

operated on.  Any resulting numbers in the expression are not allowed to be concatenated with each

other.

Post # 4 was a clarification and emphasis.  Please do not make a post like # 5 again, which goes

against post #4, or the rest of your posts/solutions on here will be ignored, and credit will be

given to other users who post any correct solutions that match the ones that you have already

posted in this thread.

Neither solutions in post #5 are correct due to their form.

The solution given in post # 6 is one of the correct ones.

• Downvote 1

I do have a valid question, here. Is this not a forum?

I won't say I could care less if you failed to credit me for my solutions, as credit is due. And purposefully failing to give due credit is a wrongful action. Yet, I am not looking for credit, but trying to enjoy the puzzles.

Perhaps check it again, on 27 Oct 2014 - 12:30 AM, said:

No, the standard for these types of puzzles is the solver is permitted to only concatenate the original digits given in the puzzle at the outset, giving numbers to work with. The resulting numbers are then operated on. Any resulting numbers in the expression are not allowed to be concatenated with each other.

Post # 4 was a clarification and emphasis. Please do not make a post like # 5 again, which goes
against post #4, or the rest of your posts/solutions on here will be ignored, and credit will be
given to other users who post any correct solutions that match the ones that you have already
posted in this thread.

Neither solutions in post #5 are correct due to their form.

The solution given in post # 6 is one of the correct ones.

Post #5 was not a post of a solution, but an answer to the implied question in your comment
"For your second expression, I don't know what you intend for it to represent."
It was also an attempt to summarily explain the concatenation operator. (I was not trying to establish its use, as Post #4 did explain it was not to be used.) I would have not used it at all, if the instructions in the initial post were clear on what should and should not be used. If the adjective "numeral" had been included in the sentence, as I use here, "Use exactly six numeral sixes.", then, I believe, you would not have had to mention concatenation. I had to make other assumptions from your rules that a solver should not have had to contend with. One such is for the statement "Use no more than one "/" symbol." I assumed (and assume) you meant the arithmetic division operator, yet that is not and has not been stated. (Of course, the standard operator for division is "÷", with the slash "/" used as an ASCII symbolic equivalent). If you had identified the symbol to represent the arithmetic division operator, then the last rule "No other symbols/characters/operations are allowed." would also have been more clear about what operations were valid.
Edited by DejMar

666/.666

(666-6)/.66

(666-66)/.6

One of the answers above came from Dejmar.

Another came from Perhaps.

I'd rather not involve myself in this argument, but I do think Dejmar shouldn't have gotten so defensive. The best thing he could have done would have been to drop his case after he was told the correct intention of the OP. That said, I also think PerhapsCheckItAgain could have been less harsh about it. After all, we're all friends here.

One of the things I like about Brainden is the positive manner of many of the regular members. Let's keep Brainden a pleasant place to be on the Internet. :)

To you (and other BrainDenizens), I apologize, gavinksong.  Being argumentative (as opposed to being contrary) is almost a required condition of a puzzle maker and solver. Anyone who proposes an answer with systematic reasoning is, by definition, argumentative.  I was not trying to be contrary, either, but was seeking definition to the rules, restrictions and guidelines for this particular puzzle; and offered PerhapsCheckItAgain, suggestions on how he may phrase his rules to be more clear and precise. I am not always, precise or correct. But, I do welcome correction.

I do become defensive when I am threatened, and, for this, I do not apologize. But I can forgive PerhapsCheckItAgain. I came to Brainden hoping to enjoy solving puzzles, expecting it to be a pleasant place.

plainglazed,

you presented another correct solution.

plainglazed, do you care to make another post where you post all five solutions in a spoiler,

and then I can click "Mark Solved" next to your name?

(If someone disagrees and claims there are more than my five solutions, then please post your

solution(s) as soon as is convenient for you to do so, so we may analyze them for correctness.)