BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Twins

rookie1ja

Solution 1: They were triplets (containing atleast 2 girls) AND it was daylight savings time.

Solution 2: The mother in the question is a "grandmother" and its a pair of sisters giving birth.

BigTmusic.com

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOT IMPOSSIBLE. EX:

Mother flying from Georgia to L.A. Gives birth to 1st child on a set of twins over Atlanta. While having complications for the second child of the set of twins, birth is given to it EXACTLY one hour later, in the CENTRAL time zone..... those twins are born at exactly the same time......

Maybe she had two uteruses..

yes, that could be true, the mother could have had two uteruses (which is medically realistic) but even then, those two babies can still be considered twins, just fraternal twins..

Why not quadruplets or more?

I am going with two different fathers as a woman can have two eggs in her uterus at once and have each fertalized by a different man heck they could have fertalized them outside the woumb and implanted them together.

Got to love modern Science!

• 2 weeks later...
Twins - Back to the Logic Puzzles

Two girls are born to the same mother, on the same day, at the same time (Edit: of course, not both at once - one right after the other - you know what I mean ;) ), in the same month and year and yet they're not twins. How can this be?

Twins - solution

The two babies are two of a set of triplets.

There are more than 2 babies

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My best idea is that there are in fact two mothers involved, one of which is the mother of the other (ie: grandmother). A daughter and her mother both give birth at the same time (didn't they make a movie about this? ... with Steve Martin, I think) and the grandmother is classified, in a more traditional sense, as the mother of both babies.

They were adopted, the adoptive mother has assumed the position of "mother" upon birth. It says "to the same mother" and not "from the same mother"

Two girls are born to the same mother, on the same day, at the same time (Edit: of course, not both at once - one right after the other - you know what I mean ;) ), in the same month and year and yet they're not twins. How can this be?

Twins - solution

the mother is a cat. cats can have multiple fathers for her litter. they are not twins, just half siblings.

i know this may be stretching the puzzle, but it says nothing about the mother being human......

• 4 weeks later...

Twins - solution

too easy. i saw this one in a book a year ago. they are triplets,quarduplets, and so on.

:P

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well when we are still an egg, we have 20 X chromones until the egg is fertilized. Each sperm has the X(girl) or Y(boy) chromosone. So when the egg is fertilized, it's a 50/50 chance it will be boy or girl. But when two sperm fertlize the egg it creats twins so if the inherit different traits then they don't have to be twins ;)

Well when we are still an egg, we have 20 X chromones until the egg is fertilized.

Not sure where you got this idea or where you got the number 20. An egg has one X chromosome, not 20. A sperm cell has either one X chromosome or one Y chromosome.

But when two sperm fertlize the egg it creats twins so if the inherit different traits then they don't have to be twins ;)

Yes, they do. Although twins occurring due to two different sperm fertilizing one egg is extremely rare, they are still twins.