BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Not on your finger tips!

bhramarraj

Question

I came across a very good puzzle. I have reproduced the same as it was worded….!

Let's play a little game. Please snap your fingers. Then, 1 minute later please snap your fingers again. And so it goes on. Each time you double the time between the snaps, so you snap your fingers again after 2 minutes (from the beginning). Then snap your fingers after 4 minutes (from the beginning).
Then snap your fingers after 8 minutes (from the beginning).
How many snaps will you make in a year?

So the game starts …..Now….

7 answers to this question

I came across a very good puzzle. I have reproduced the same as it was worded.!

Let's play a little game. Please snap your fingers. Then, 1 minute later please snap your fingers again. And so it goes on. Each time you double the time between the snaps, so you snap your fingers again after 2 minutes (from the beginning). Then snap your fingers after 4 minutes (from the beginning).

So the game starts ..Now.

60*24*365= minutes in a year= 525600

we are counting up by powers of 2, 2^19=524288 (largest power of 2 less than 525600)

Therefore the sum of 2^0-2^18=524287

After 19 clicks you are only 1313 minutes from the next year

Well, technically, I will have either snapped 0 times, because I'm a rebel who refuses to follow instructions, or way more than 19, because I snap my fingers at other times.

What? This is the Logic/Math section, isn't it?

Fine, then, I'll retreat back into the dark depths of the Word Riddle section... :dry:

we are counting up by powers of 2, 2^19=524288 (largest power of 2 less than 525600)

Not correct. Sorry...!

Well, technically, I will have either snapped 0 times, because I'm a rebel who refuses to follow instructions, or way more than 19, because I snap my fingers at other times.

What? This is the Logic/Math section, isn't it?

Fine, then, I'll retreat back into the dark depths of the Word Riddle section... :dry:

We must use a geometric series with the initial value 1 and increasing at a factor of 2. The sum of such a series with N terms is 2^N-1. Like Nins said, the largest power of 2 less than 525600 (the number of minutes in a year) is 524288 (one less than that is the value of 2^N-1). There must have been 19 clicks after the first click (N=19). Thus, you make

20 clicks in one year.

We must use a geometric series with the initial value 1 and increasing at a factor of 2. The sum of such a series with N terms is 2^N-1. Like Nins said, the largest power of 2 less than 525600 (the number of minutes in a year) is 524288 (one less than that is the value of 2^N-1). There must have been 19 clicks after the first click (N=19). Thus, you make

20 clicks in one year.

Still needs more to think... you are very near...!

It seems that sometimes we take a puzzle lightly, as we think it has easy answer. Though this perticular puzzle looks like a math problem, but if we do not go for the depth of the question then we donot find the right answer. Important thing to notice is that the time interval between the snaps is from the 'Begining' The right answer is:

OP says that one snap is at the very begining and then second is after 1minute. then third is after double the time from begining i.e. after 2 minute. Then third snap is after 4 minute from the begining. So:

After Start – 1st snap

After 1 min from start– 2nd snap

After 2 min from start – 3
After 4 min from start – 4
After 8 min from start– 5
After 16 min from start– 6
After 32 min from start– 7
After 64 min from start– 8
After 128 min from start– 9
After 256 minfrom start – 10
After 512 minfrom start – 11
After 1024 min from start– 12
After 2048 min from start – 13
After 4096 min from start– 14
After 8192 min from start– 15
After 16384 min from start– 16
After 32768 min – 17
After 65536 min – 18
After 131072 min from start– 19
After 262144 min from start– 20
After 524288 min from start– 21 – Very close but still below 525,600 min total in a year.

There are more simpler ways to solve it.....