BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Pull & Push

TimeSpaceLightForce

Question

7 answers to this question

Can we assume gravity as a free move? If i move locker number 1 out will locker number four safely move with gravity on top of number five?

I believe that it is an overhead view so all of the lockers are sitting on the ground in the center of the room.

Do they need to end in the same 6 spaces, or can they end in a new position (as a group)?

These are the fewest that I've found so far:

Label maker - 0 moves

End up elsewhere - 10 moves

End in same as began - 12 moves

I got 10 moves for both ending up elsewhere and ending up in the same place.

If you push the 2 up and the 4 right, and the 5 down and the 3 left, you get this:

1 6

So at this point you can sort of choose whether you want it to be elsewhere or in the same place in six more moves.

Question: Are we allowed to arrange them in 3 by 2 or 1 by 6 or 6 by 1 rather than 2 by 3? Also, do they have to be packed in a grid, or can they be staggered such as in the spoiler above?

Edited by gavinksong

The expected middle position is same as shown in the OP. Only the numbers should be rearrange with [ 1 ][ 2 ] on top , [ 5] [ 6 ] on bottom (left to right-top to bottom)
We know that pull=push and up/down is less work than left/right..thus some 10 moves can be less effort than other 10 moves.. yet not good enough

Do they need to end in the same 6 spaces, or can they end in a new position (as a group)?Yes,No

These are the fewest that I've found so far:

Label maker - 0 moves Labels are painted on the "doors"

End up elsewhere - 10 moves It can end elsewhere in less moves.

End in same as began - 12 moves You mean began as the left to right-top bottom arrangement? That is right!

for 5 moves it looks like..
post-53237-0-46479500-1375561135_thumb.j

then 4, 1 , 3 , 6, 5, 4, 2