BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Answer Me these riddles three...

fabpig

Question

Hi Guys,

Phil Mickelson's triumph over the "links" course at Muirfield (great golfer, classy man), brought to mind a Sunday afternoon some years back when I was working as a taxi driver. I was listening to the local radio station phone in (which was also keeping abreast with the Open) and listeners were invited to send in their questions. 3 of the questions were:

1) Why are "links" golf courses so called

2) If the temperature is described as (eg) 82F in Winston-Salem, NC, or 28C London, how is that figure arrived at?

3) Why do gentlemen prefer blondes?

Now I'm fairly sure it's easy enough to google these, so please use spoilers.

O, and Hi again

13 answers to this question

Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Bonanova...

No to 1).

2) I gave a bad example in that 28C and 82F are pretty well the same temperature. I was actually after the how/where the temperature is recorded.

I find that

+40 * 5/9 -40

+40 * 9/5 -40

easier to remember, and works because -40C and -40F are the same temp.

3) So did I :rolleyes: . And my answer is probably for flippant. ^_^

and hello to you my old friend -

2) a thermometer?

Wonderful! Can't say you're wrong on that one, pg, but I think, in your heart-of-hearts, that you know that's not what I was after. But it's nice to know you still make me chuckle while I type. And I finally got that sentence right at the 4th attempt.

I know nothing about golf. Absolutely nothing. So I looked up what a links course actually is, and I have an idea.

Is it because they run in sort of a circle, or an unbroken chain of holes. Hence the name links. As in, each hole is a link.

That's a nice thought, doubleK, and most links courses probably do have that characteristic (but then so do other "non-links" courses). Sadly, not the reason they have the name

Because he needs time off from being the hero in every Zelda game.

Are you suggesting he should play around?

I spotted a typo above...

.... And my answer is probably for flippant. ^_^

should read "And my answer is probably FAR MORE flippant."

Seems the brain was overtaking the typing finger and I was inadvertantly omitting letters/syllables by the time I got near to the end of the sence.

Is it because they are all owned by the same organization?

2) If the temperature is described as (eg) 82F in Winston-Salem, NC, or 28C London, how is that figure arrived at?

Someone beat me to thermometer, so... does it have anything to do with elevation?

Subconsciously, yellow is the color of sunshine and happiness so blondes are perceived to be happier or "more fun".

Is it because they are all owned by the same organization?

Someone beat me to thermometer, so... does it have anything to do with elevation?

Subconsciously, yellow is the color of sunshine and happiness so blondes are perceived to be happier or "more fun".

No to 1), BG

2) Sort of...ish...

on your definition of "elevation". I always think of elevation as height above sea-level. Sea-level isn't pertinent in temperature measurement...

But that's only part of the answer.

3) Whereas you are probably right, my answer is much for facetious!

I always heard that they're called "links" because it's the land between (aka, linking) the ocean and farm land...

Traditionally, this was the best type of soil for golf courses (loose, sandy soil)...but not good for farming.

Ding ding ding!

The man from the home of the R&A has the answer to 1) pretty much word-for-word. Nicely done, Pickett.

Edited by fabpig