BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

My middle child was bragging to her little sister about all the quarters she had found in her easter eggs last weekend, so i being a "good dad" challenged her with this...

I will give you one dime for every quarter that you can stand on end on the kitchen table. She gladly spent the next 15 minutes struggling to stand each of her quarters on end. She finally gave up after only getting 7 of the 10 quarters up on end.

My question to you and of course my daughter was why she was so dang upset with me after I did exactly what I had said.

21 answers to this question

My middle child was bragging to her little sister about all the quarters she had found in her easter eggs last weekend, so i being a "good dad" challenged her with this...

I will give you one dime for every quarter that you can stand on end on the kitchen table. She gladly spent the next 15 minutes struggling to stand each of her quarters on end. She finally gave up after only getting 7 of the 10 quarters up on end.

My question to you and of course my daughter was why she was so dang upset with me after I did exactly what I had said.

because you gave her dimes for quarters which are worth less. Hopefully, you gave them back =)

he gave her a dime for every quarter she got to stand

Exactly. Every one that she stood on end, he took and gave her a dime for it.

Edited by GIJeff

it dous NOT say that he took the quarter in exchange for the dimes it SAID he would GIVE a dime ...

So if I said "I'll give you a cookie for every quarter you put in the jar." you're saying that means that you get to keep the quarters AND keep all the cookies I give you?

When you give something for something else, you're making an exchange, and so he would get to keep the quarters.

I did give her a dime for every quarter that she stood on end, and then I took her quarters that were standing on end, and no I did not give them back, I believe there was a lesson to be learned and better by her wonderful father and only $1.05 like Noct said then by some telemarketer on the phone or a vagrant on the street.

too bad she could not get all 10 to stand on end...lol

thats evil and rude its not fare and a cheap trick it can seriosly hurt some ones fellings and can hurt a relationship between family i should know about that so dont say any thing......

thats evil and rude its not fare and a cheap trick it can seriosly hurt some ones fellings and can hurt a relationship between family i should know about that so dont say any thing......

LOL

He did it in fun, and it taught his daughter a lesson. And like he said, better with $1.05 and her dad than a lot more and someone else.

Edited by Noct

its still rude

Just because it's rude in your family, doesn't mean it's rude in someone else's.

You have no right to tell finance_it that he is being evil or rude. You're the one being rude for trying to tell him how to raise his child.

So if I said "I'll give you a cookie for every quarter you put in the jar." you're saying that means that you get to keep the quarters AND keep all the cookies I give you?

When you give something for something else, you're making an exchange, and so he would get to keep the quarters.

Just because it's rude in your family, doesn't mean it's rude in someone else's.

You have no right to tell finance_it that he is being evil or rude. You're the one being rude for trying to tell him how to raise his child.

I do not think you analogy is very accurate based on what the OP said in his post. Similar to your analogy, if someone says they will give me $0.75 for every $1 I put into a jar, I would not end up with $1.75 but only $0.75. But in fact I get the whole $1.75 and then some if I put in more $$$ myself. This is called a 401K, and the jar is an account. That means I get to keep all the quarters AND cookies that someone gave me.

But anyway back to the OP, if he did not state that he would keep the quarters if she got them all to stand on end he just stole them from her. My dad used to pay dimes and nickels to see if I could "stand quarters on end", pick up crawdads, and other little tasks that were new to me as a child to try and get me to do new things, or to see how good I was at something.

I agree with Tink that it was rude, and rudeness extends beyond the family. Based on your logic, suppose I went up to some guy on the subway picked my nose and wiped a booger on him. If he tried to beat me up I would tell him "Its ok, it's not rude in my family to do this"

Edited by niner

I do not think you analogy is very accurate based on what the OP said in his post. Similar to your analogy, if someone says they will give me $0.75 for every $1 I put into a jar, I would not end up with $1.75 but only $0.75. But in fact I get the whole $1.75 and then some if I put in more $$$ myself. This is called a 401K, and the jar is an account. That means I get to keep all the quarters AND cookies that someone gave me.

But anyway back to the OP, if he did not state that he would keep the quarters if she got them all to stand on end he just stole them from her. My dad used to pay dimes and nickels to see if I could "stand quarters on end", pick up crawdads, and other little tasks that were new to me as a child to try and get me to do new things, or to see how good I was at something.

I agree with Tink that it was rude, and rudeness extends beyond the family. Based on your logic, suppose I went up to some guy on the subway picked my nose and wiped a booger on him. If he tried to beat me up I would tell him "Its ok, it's not rude in my family to do this"

A 401 K matches what you put in, not exchanges it. And your second analogy... I don't even see how you think that makes any sense. If your family wipes your boogers on each other then go crazy and have at it. But don't involve other people. I'm not going to judge you and call you evil because you wiped your boogers on your mom when you were growing up. I have no right to tell you that it's not acceptable just because I don't do that in my family, but you can't do it to other people. If finance had done this trick to tink, then that's different, but how dare you tell him how to raise his kids.

And to everyone who is saying he didn't explicitly say he would keep the quarters... THAT IS WHY IT IS A PUZZLE!! For god's sake I feel like people are trying to argue semantics because they didn't get the answer. He says his daughter got upset, and asks you to figure out why. Because in English, if I tell you "I'll give you a cookie for a dollar", this is an exchange. If i say "I'll give you a dime for every quarter that you can stand on end" it's an exchange. It's all about the wording, and that's part of the puzzle. If you don't get that, then give up on this one, there are plenty more puzzles on here.

It's a male v female thing which girls lern to cope with at an early age and boys never grow out of.

My question is who keeps upsetting my wife? - I'm never home so it can't be me, yet it's me that gets the flack!

I love my children very much, and they do not want for much in life (they are spoiled rotten, lol). I did not give the money back to my daughter but I did, and will continue to explain to her that there are people in life that will take advantage of her every chance that they get, and hopefully she will remember how upset she was when I took her money and that she may need to rethink the next great deal someone is trying to get her to buy into. I also teach my children not to gamble by making "unfair" bets that they could never possibly win, and again I take their money or whatever else they have bet with me. I believe that life is wonderful and beautiful but there are deffinately evils in the world that I should do my best to protect my children from. I used these same evil lessons on my teenager and know that she will not gamble foolishly, she is wairy of the things that are too good to be true, and she still loves me very much (well as much as any teenager loves their parents).

I will continue to love and cherish my children and post in the den but from now on without making personal statements, for this is the lesson I learned.

I know a guy who's middle child was bragging to her little sister about all the quarters...

she still loves me very much (well as much as any teenager loves their parents).

Well I have become an adult only recently.So I know for a fact that Teenagers do love their parents(very much, in fact) , without showing out much of their love. :)

Please do not be offended by the remarks made by some :) .

Edited by grey cells

Tink, and anyone else who has a problem with this, you need some real help. First, you need to understand that when it comes to raising kids you just need to stay out of it. If you came to me and ridiculed how I raised my kids I'd probably knock you clean out. It's none of your business how he raises his kids. Second, the riddle was fine. I understood it and answered it without a problem. If I said that I would 'give you a dollar for every candy bar you found' you would understand that completely. I would take the candy and give you a dollar for each one. An exchange of money for action. Same thing that finance did.