4. Kikacat123voting for Kingofpain

5. Araver - DEAD [?] Killed by "The Light"

6. Vommack - voting for Kingofpain

7. Kingofpain - voting for Kingofpain

8. Flamebirde - voting for Kingofpain

9. Minesweeper - DEAD [Red Arrow] Lynched

10. MikeD - DEAD [?] Killed by "The Light"

11. ShadowAngel7 - DEAD [?] Killed by "The Light"

EDIT: Dang WIFOM. If impulse is still alive, he wouldn't know whether or not to save the lynchee because of Klarion. What to do, what to do..., Also, are you sure you want to vote for yourself, KOP?

Edited by flamebirde

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 4

The newly appointed executioner (where had that other one gone?) led the bagged figure up the steps to the the platform.

"Ya sure you got the right one this time?" the haggle-toothed lever puller asked, his face set in a look of consternation.

The executioner nodded. The lever puller shrugged and took his place.

The crowd this time was smaller, and full of uncertain, confused faces. The booing and jeering was half-hearted, at best.

The prisoner did not resist as the executioner put the noose around his neck and gave the lever puller a thumbs up sign.

The lever puller shrugged again and pulled the lever. The hatch opened and...

Suddenly a blur wooshed past the scraggly members of the audience, up the platform, and through where the prisoner hung, drawing up a cloud of dust in its wake. After the dust settled, the coughing crowd was able to discern the figure of the prisoner, standing on the ground, hands unbound.

The now no longer condemned slowly removed his hood...

Kingofpain smiled out at the audience.

Watchtower: Y-san

Roster:

1. Aaryan - REMOVED [Vandal Savage]
2. Panther
3. dee_tot - DEAD [Superboy] Lynched
4. Kikacat123
5. Araver - DEAD [?] Killed by "The Light"
6. Vommack
7. Kingofpain
8. Flamebirde
9. Minesweeper - DEAD [Red Arrow] Lynched
10. MikeD - DEAD [?] Killed by "The Light"

11. ShadowAngel7 - DEAD [?] Killed by "The Light"

Night 5 begins now, ends 9PM CST tomorrow 6/21!

Night 5

The circle of young heroes cornered Kingofpain, eyeing him warily, various weapons at the ready.

“Guys, c’mon...it’s not what you think...I’m on your side, really...”

Meeooowww,” Teekyl purred, emerging from a cat-sized red breach in the fabric of spacetime. The familiar languidly brushed up against Kop’s scrawny calves.

The boy frowned, “bad kitty,” then shrugged. “Oh well, guess the cat’s out of the bag...kekeke...” He raised a hand, palm side up, and a fissure his own size appeared. “Time to move on to greener dimensions...”

“Not so fast,” Flamepulse stepped forward, a electromagnetic field disrupter designed by Nikawing strapped to his back. He began to race around Koplarion, melding into a red and white blur, and the escape portal began to shimmer and short-circuit.

“MEEEOOOWWW!!!” the infuriated familiar shifted into its were-form, and prepared to leap over the vertically challenged Flamepulse wall.

As it did so, though, its motion halted in mid-air. It yowled irately as it waved its paws around to no avail.

“Someone needs a time out,” remarked Vomm’gann, eyes glowing, as she held the feline telekinetically. She shot a quick glance at Panther, who was standing still, hand behind his back. “Aren’t you going to help?”

Panther nodded. “Of course...” He whipped out his hand, revealing a black ring sitting on his index finger. A beam of blackness shot out from it, in front of Vomm’gann.

“What’s that?” Nikawing asked, eyebrows furrowed.

A smug smile crossed Panther’s face. “I said I would help...but I didn’t say I would help you.”

The blackness swirled and then began to shape itself into an all too familiar figure...a strapping young lad with two magical whips on his arms.

“Caldur?” Vomm’gann asked, levitating towards him. “Is that you?”

But something was wrong...instead of white-hot electricity, his whips were now tendrils of blackness. His skin was sallow, with a grayish pallor, an ominous black aura enveloped his form, and when he looked up at her, his eyes were blank, emotionless.

“M’gann, wait...” Nikawing tried to warn her, but it was too late. Suddenly the black whips flung out and caught the (relatively) young martian around the torso and neck, pinning her arms and choking her.

Nikawing dashed forward to help his comrade, but was cut off by another beamof black light. “Uhn uhn,” Queen P tsked. “I have different playmate for you.”

This blast took on the form of a female, holding a long bow. This figure had the same deathly pallor, and the same black aura of wrongness.

“No...it can’t be...” Nikawing shook his head.

Abruptly the black Artemike loosed an arrow at him, which he managed to dodge with an agile back flip...but just barely.

Queen P laughed gleefully. “This is just too much fun! Hmm...let’s see who else we can get to join the party.” She aimed the black ring on the other side of Nikawing and shot another black beam.

The blur that was Flamepulse flashed across the way, deflecting it into the mouth of a dark alleyway, as he went to help Vomm’gann.

But as her concentration wavered, so did her mental grip on were-Teekyl, who clawed free and pounced on the speedster, catching him off guard and pinning him to the ground.

The now free and clear Koplarion disappeared into the red crack and reappeared from a different one next to Queen P. “Silly children,” his grin overflowed with mirth.

The queen shot a sideways glance at his adolescent form. “Mmm...hmm...”

Not seeming to notice, the Lordling of Chaos stooped over to examine her new accessory. “Where did you get that, anyways.”

A perplexed expression flitted over her face. “I...I’m not sure...I...don’t...”

As Queen P was struggling to grasp at the straws of a forgotten memory, Nikawing, who had managed to evade black Artemike for the moment, vaulted up behind her, and prepared to karate-chop her in the neck.

There was a whizzing sound, and then Nikawing grunted and topped over, revealing a bullet hole in her back. Back-tracking the projectile’s trajectory with their eyes, the remaining members of the Light witnessed a shadowy form of a bald man emerging from the alleyway.

“Well, better late than never,” Queen P remarked, although there a discernable note of a tremor was in her voice. “Welcome to the party, Lex.”

Shadow Lex’s emotionless face did not change as he lowered the smoking gun to his side.

Kloparion stroked his now back-to-just-being-fat sized cat as he surveyed the scene of fallen heroes. “‘Looks like our fun here is done. Now what?”

“How about we celebrate.” Queen P’s rouge lips curved into an alluring smile. She tenderly moved a smooth finger under his chin. “I bet I know a few things even you haven’t seen before...”

She leaned over and whispered something in the Witch Boy’s ear, and the pair began to move away, into the moonlight, and the dark forms of the undead stared at their retreating figures blankly, unmoving. It was the Blackest Night, and the Light had won.

After the victors of this battle had disappeared around a corner, the shadowy form of Lex...

...smiled.

1. Aaryan - [Vandal Savage] Kill Araver
2. Panther - [Queen Bee] Redirect ShadowAngel to dee_tot
3. dee_tot - [Superboy] Save ShadowAngel
4. Kikacat123 - [Nightwing] Flamebirde
5. Araver - [Aqualad] Block Dee_dot
6. Vommack - [Miss Martian] Watch Aaryan
7. Kingofpain - [Klarion] N/A
8. Flamebirde - [Impulse] N/A
9. Minesweeper - [Red Arrow] inactive
10. MikeD - [Artemis] N/A
11. ShadowAngel7 - [Lex Luthor] Aaryan as Nightwing

1. Aaryan - [Vandal Savage] N/A
2. Panther - [Queen Bee] Redirect vommack Flamebirde
3. dee_tot - [Superboy] Save Kingofpain
4. Kikacat123 - [Nightwing] Spy vommack
5. Araver - [Aqualad]
6. Vommack - [Miss Martian] Watch Aaryan
7. Kingofpain - [Klarion] Kill MikeD
9. Minesweeper - [Red Arrow]
10. MikeD - [Artemis] Kill Aaryan
11. ShadowAngel7 - [Lex Luthor] vommack as Nightwing, Kingofpain as Nightwing

Host notes: Innocents just lost two killing roles in a row...ouch....although it's not the worst thing that could have happened...that would be if Lex had figured out who the killing role was >D

1. Aaryan - [Vandal Savage]
2. Panther - [Queen Bee] Redirect ShadowAngel to Flamebirde
3. dee_tot - [Superboy] Save vommack
4. Kikacat123 - [Nightwing] Spy dee_dot
5. Araver - [Aqualad]
6. Vommack - [Miss Martian] Watch Panther (was manipulated to watch kikacat instead)
7. Kingofpain - [Klarion] Kill vommack
10. MikeD - [Artemis]
11. ShadowAngel7 - [Lex Luthor] vommack as Miss Martian on kikacat (successful), dee_dot as Nightwing, Panther as Nightwing (last one was redirected, as per RNG)

Host notes: Hehe...now this is getting interesting. Vommack would have seen QB redirecting Shadow, but Shadow manipulated him to see kikacat acting on dee_dot...and vommack is not aware he's been manipulated, so... :lol:

7. Kingofpain - [Klarion] Lynch switch self with dee-dot (Superboy)

Host notes: Okay, so Klarion/KoP wants to lynch switch himself with Superboy, which is actually probably the best move at this point, although he shouldn't know it, lol. Artemis could still be alive, and it should be pretty obvious from the lack of Aqualad action he's dead, so keeping Superboy alive and redirecting him with Queen Bee's ability should be what would seem like the best option at this point. But since Artemis is actually dead, getting rid of the save is best, although not for Lex ;)

1. Aaryan - [Vandal Savage]
2. Panther - [Queen Bee] Redirect Kikacat to Vommack, NK ShadowAngel
3. dee_tot - [Superboy]
4. Kikacat123 - [Nightwing] Spy ShadowAngel
5. Araver - [Aqualad]
6. Vommack - [Miss Martian] Watch Kingofpain
7. Kingofpain - [Klarion] N/A
10. MikeD - [Artemis]
11. ShadowAngel7 - [Lex Luthor] Kikacat as Nightwing on Panther (successful although redirected), Kingofpain as Klarion to NK Kika (RID successful, wrong NK carrier), Panther as Klarion, Flamebirde as Impulse (successful)

Host notes: Damb, Lex/Shadow was sooo close :/ I'm pretty sure the mafia is going to win at this point unless the innocents can pull off something super sneaky and confuse the mafia about their identities.

8. Flamebirde - [

Impulse] Save lynch target

Host notes: Uh...wow...the innocents would have had a really good chance of winning if Impulse hadn't done that, lol...Kingofpain is either the best mafia player ever or the luckiest... :ph34r:

]

Congrats to "The Light" for pulling off an astonishing victory! Thanks to everyone for playing and making this game very interesting and enjoyable to host!

There were a bunch of twists and turns throughout the course of the game...the mafia got lucky taking out the block and both killing roles by Night 2, the innocents got lucky finding Vandal Savage early, and then there was some pretty amusing confusion due to Lex's ability.

A special commendation to ShadowAngel for being a near perfect Lex Luthor...laying low (action wise) at the beginning and gathering info and power rather than fishing for the big action roles (Arrow/Artemis) and drawing attention to herself. If you'd only survived Night 4, you would have won for sure :).

And a special...uh I'm not sure what :lol: to Kingofpain for somehow making all the right choices at the crucial points in the game, although I'm not sure whether you realized it at the time...you either have ridiculous mafia intuition or ridiculous luck, dude ;P.

To everyone: you were all great, and a fun crowd to hang with. I'm looking forward to having you all in future mafias...(I may do JLU2 or another mini-mafia, or maybe even one of my crazy mad mafiatist 'experiments'...I'm thinking this is a good enough crowd to try something a bit more challenging ;) )

Thanks again!

Watchtower Out

Excellent game Y-San. Have to admit, Shad played the ideal Indy and should have won. As for us Baddies :D KoP made a lot of calls that were almost psychically on the mark, and by some incredible turn of events he and Panther forced a situation where there was, in essence, no lynch.

(Might want to fix the balance on that lynch switch, Y-San)

As for my death... :dry: vomm's lucky spy and Mike's incredible jump-the-gun kill attempt was just unfortunate. But all's well that ends well, congrats to my baddie friends and thanks Y-San for an awesome death post :) as well as a hearty thanks to all players for an interesting and fun game.

Edited by Aaryan

I disagree that the lynch switch needs to be altered, it worked pretty much the way it was intended. I agree that it was overpowered at the end, but that was b/c the 'mass outing' at the end was exactly what the lynch switch was designed to punish.

I actually spent a good deal of time considering what restrictions to put on the lynch switch in terms of what I wanted it to accomplish, and in the end I decided the only restriction I wanted on it was not to make Vandal Savage nearly invincible.

There were two main reasons I designed the lynch switch as so:

1) To discourage the 'mass outing' scenarios that waaaaayyyyyy too many mafia games degenerate into. That is, when the innocents all blatantly hint at their roles, and the mafia is cornered by not having a role to hint at. This generally takes the fun out of being mafia and has been a problem hosts have been trying to deal with since I started playing.

There are different ways hosts try to accomplish this. Some hosts explicitly prohibiting players from outing themselves, but I do not like telling players what they can and cannot say. I prefer allowing players to try to figure out the consequences of their actions and come up with creative strategies. Another method is by giving the mafia a spy role, but I generally don't like straight spies, and in a lot of my games I don't have them (this was an exception).

A common way to deal with the mass outing is RID kills, which, frankly, I've gotten bored with ;), so I try to think of other interesting roles that penalize outing. The RID manipulate is one of my favorites, since it can be 'the gift that keeps on giving', so to speak...imagine a RID manipulator with his/her claws in the innocent killing role... :ph34r:. The RID lynch swap does not 'keep on giving', since it, like the RID kill, can only be used on an outed player once, but if many players out themselves too specifically, then it becomes overpowered, and I decided that is what I wanted. If the innocents tried to corner the mafia through blatant outing, I liked the fact that it would back-fire on them.

I do want to mention that vommack did a great job at the beginning at getting out info (about Savage/Aaryan) without specifically outing himself. As Araver mentioned in the ghost thread, since the mafia originally believed him to be Nightwing, if they had tried to lynch swap him, they would have failed and lost one of their own.

Which brings me to my second intent:

2) Okay, admittedly this may be a personal bias, but I really like sneaky innocents ;P. In my mafia player 'career', I definitely lied more as an innocent than as a mafia, and those were my favorite times. One of my favorite playing experiences was Heroes 1.2 (I believe that was the number), in which I was an innocent with BTSC with a saving role, and boy, did I lie my @$$ off... :lol:...and in doing so, I managed to corner and draw the fire of the Company (the mafia), thereby saving some other innocent, and Sylar (the indie), and, let me tell you, was that victory ever sweet :D (despite, or perhaps made even more so by, a snafoo by the host :rolleyes:).

Anyways, the secondary 'goal' with the lynch swap was to allow the innocents to experiment with strategies that involved trying to trick and manipulate the mafia. I try to make games that I myself would like to play, so I usually add an element or two of potential innocent deceptivity (yes, I know that's not actually a word...but it should be ;P). Of course, players are free not to use it, but I like the opportunity to be there ^_^.

Anyways, all and all I think the players played a great game, despite most of them being unfamiliar with my game theoretical machinations ;).

Edited by Yoruichi-san

@Y-San thank you for this wonderful little gem. It was fun, even to watch in the afterlife.

Re: lynch switch - I agree with the host but needless to say, the host rules as final, even if others don't agree ;)

For the sake of conversation: the lynch switch is not susceptible to an invincible combo. If it were my game, I would have restricted both the lynch switch and the lynch save to "not two days in a row" and figure out a mechanism where baddies could forego a night action (the redirect) to have the lynch switch active in consecutive days.

However, on the overall balance, I don't agree it was balanced.

And since gut alone can't be brought on as an argument, a quick inspection using BrandonB's weighting system:

Baddies:

- invincible at night = 3

- redirect/block = 2.5+1-0.5 = 3 ( +1 as it is shown, but it acts as a redirect or block so one does not control it)

- RID lynch switch = 4 - a lynch save is normally weighted as 3, but this is a switch so it acts as a RID lynch save 2 + RID kill 2

Total: 2x(3+3+4)+4 = 24

Goodies:

- Block, not the same target two nights in a row = 2.5+1-0.5 = 3

- Spy = 1

- Kill, not two nights in a row = 3-1=2

- Lynch save, not two days in a row =3-1 = 2

- Save, not the same target two nights in a row, cannot save self = 1.5-0.5 -0.5= 0.5

- Follow spy = 1

- Invulnerable as long as another is alive + inherits a kill = 2 + (3 - 1) = 4

EDIT: Knows when Red Arrow dies - 0.5

Total: 3+1+2+2+0.5+1+4 +0.5 = 14

Indy:

- Invulnerable N1/D1 = 1

- RID Manipulate (once) = 2.5 +1 - 1 = 2.5 (acts as a redirect not shown + gives back info as spy - RID is required)

Ability accumulates +1/cycle - at an average of 4 cycles for the game duration, multiply it by (1+2+3+4)/4 = 2.5

EDIT: Knows when Red Arrow dies - 0.5

- Wincon = Last standing - no bonus

Total: 1+2.5*2.5 +0.5 = 7.75

Source: http://mafiamaniac.wikia.com/wiki/Balance

Edited by araver