BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Ridiculous Inverse

BMAD

Question

Many of my algebra and precalculus students think the 'inverse function' of f(x), often written f^(-1)(x), is the same as the reciprocal 1/f(x) (mistaking the -1 for an exponent). This (as I am obliged to remind them) is almost always false. But can you find at least one function whose inverse is also its reciprocal? Tiebreaker: Find as many as you can!
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 answers to this question

There are a few functions that are their own inverses. 1/x (away from 0) is one instance.

For tiebreaker are you asking for other instances of functions for which f[f(x)]= x?

Or for more functions whose inverses are their reciprocals?

The latter

this obviously only applies to invertible functions and since invertible functions have exactly one inverse, I claim 1/x is the only such function.

For starters,

f^-1(f(x)) = x

but you told us that:

f^-1(f(x)) = 1/f(x)

putting these together,

f(x) = 1/x

Other than tricky ones, to me seems to be the only such function... Thinking of tricky ones now ...

this obviously only applies to invertible functions and since invertible functions have exactly one inverse, I claim 1/x is the only such function.

For starters,

f^-1(f(x)) = x

but you told us that:

f^-1(f(x)) = 1/f(x)

putting these together,

f(x) = 1/x

Other than tricky ones, to me seems to be the only such function... Thinking of tricky ones now ...

I think the OP means that f^-1(x)=1/f(x).

One group fo solutions would be ones of the form (ax+b)/(cx+d) for appropriate a,b,c,d.