BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

The investment Game

BMAD

Yeah, buying the cheap stocks early on was a gamble that paid off. I actually thought I had it sown up on day 6 when I realized that I could afford to mimic everyone's portfolio and basically have a few dollars left over which meant I would win if I had a standing order to buy/sell anything anyone bought or sold.(we were not even close to buying 5000 stocks then). But I figured it would be more fun to experiment and find more about the algorithm, Big risk, big reward is the message I guess. So much for a distributed portfolio, eh?

Yeah, buying the cheap stocks early on was a gamble that paid off. I actually thought I had it sown up on day 6 when I realized that I could afford to mimic everyone's portfolio and basically have a few dollars left over which meant I would win if I had a standing order to buy/sell anything anyone bought or sold.(we were not even close to buying 5000 stocks then). But I figured it would be more fun to experiment and find more about the algorithm, Big risk, big reward is the message I guess. So much for a distributed portfolio, eh?

your risks definitely paid off. Your strategy was an excellent strategy for short term stock trading. In the long run, diversification is preferred as you are not whole dependent on the success of a single stock, nor do you lose everything if that stock becomes worthless. It isn't too late though. So don't be careless!

When regarding stocks, and not cash, is wealth based on the purchase price or sale price of the stock?

Stocks are only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So in this case, wealth will be determined by your dollar amount remaining and the price the market will pay for your remaining stocks

When regarding stocks, and not cash, is wealth based on the purchase price or sale price of the stock?

Stocks are only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So in this case, wealth will be determined by your dollar amount remaining and the price the market will pay for your remaining stocks

To be clear though, market purchase price will be run 1 additonal time based on our last day of sales. So final wealth will not be determined based on THESE (day 10) numbers.

Lets go again! I feel theres potential beyond just buying and selling normally...in the early days, I thought of floating derivatives and such... If the moderator offers to enforces agreements between parties (to allow shorting and such), this could turn deviously entertaining!

• Upvote 1

Lets go again! I feel theres potential beyond just buying and selling normally...in the early days, I thought of floating derivatives and such... If the moderator offers to enforces agreements between parties (to allow shorting and such), this could turn deviously entertaining!

I would be down for round 2.

Just a quick reminder of some rules

• Ten stocks are advertised for sale on the opening day.
  • There will be a sale price and a purchase price. The sale price is the price it costs to buy the stock and purchase price is the price to sell back to the market.
  • Each stock has a maximum cap of stocks that can be sold so trading among the participants typically happens once stocks become few.
  • Some participants may work out deals to trade with each other that may be more financially advantageous than buying directly from the market.
  • The stocks values are updated daily so that each person can determine their total wealth.
  • Stocks may be bought or sold to an individual or to the bank.
  • Stock sales or trades to individuals must be set at a mutually agreed upon quantity (and price if applicable).
  • Stock sales to the market will be at the seller's discretion of quantity but at the advertised market (purchase) price
  • After ten days, the individual with the most wealth is the winner.
  • All players start with $10,000
  • No one has to send all or any of their money
  • Deficit spending is not permitted

I am adding a simplified version of derivatives as well. Within the first three weeks, one may buy either long or short derivatives. These options can be purchased in units.

There are strike long derivatives and strike short derivatives.

If you buy a long derivative then you are betting that the stock will exceed the long listed price.

If you buy a short derivative then you are betting that the stock will fall below the short listed price.

Derivative options will only be available from day 1 through day 3.

Derivatives are paid out on day 10 by the market.

it costs $4,000 to purchase a single derivative.

If you guess correctly then the absolute value of the amount over (or under) times 10 times your option(s) (of $4,000) will be what you make off your derivative.

If you guess incorrectly, then your derivative is worthless.

Derivatives may be traded with other people for money, stock, or other derivatives before the posting of day 10.

Ex. Strike Long Derivative projection 4.06

Final Stock Price 4.36

4.36 - 4.06 = 0.30

0.30*10*4000 = 12,000

Edited by BMAD

Day 1 (a little early)

Day 2 won't (shouldn't) start until 6/10/2013.

Noted the added rows "Project High" and "Project Low". This is the indicated range of how the next market price (the price you buy the stock at) could fluctuate between. Of course the market price could significantly exceed or under perform the stated range but for the most part, it should be withing that range. Now buying, selling, the ownership of derivatives, and randomness affect the price of the stock.

I also changed the wording from the market purchase price to "Market will pay", to hopefully clear up that this is the price the market buys the stock back from you at.

Edited by BMAD