BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I heard this one a decade ago, but I haven't been able to find it in a search or anywhere else on the site yet:

Consider a pink one-story house with a pink roof. The walls are pink and the floor is pink. The chairs are pink and the tables are pink. In fact all the furniture is pink and even the ceiling is pink. But I ask you, what color are the stairs?

11 answers to this question

I heard this one a decade ago, but I haven't been able to find it in a search or anywhere else on the site yet:

Consider a pink one-story house with a pink roof. The walls are pink and the floor is pink. The chairs are pink and the tables are pink. In fact all the furniture is pink and even the ceiling is pink. But I ask you, what color are the stairs?

We can't know the color of the stairs. Just because it is a one-story house does not mean that there aren't stairs somewhere. It just means that there are not stairs that connect two or more (non-existent) stories of that particular house. In fact, given the entire question we should assume that there are stairs somewhere in the house because the question implies their existence.

Edited by itachi-san

We can't know the color of the stairs. Just because it is a one-story house does not mean that there aren't stairs somewhere. It just means that there are not stairs that connect two or more (non-existent) stories of that particular house. In fact, given the entire question we should assume that there are stairs somewhere in the house because the question implies their existence.

As I asked in my spoiler before, what about the basement? Also, there could be stairs leading up to the front door or off of a deck or porch, or elsewhere in the house. I think the way I originally heard the question was "everything in the house is pink" meaning any stairs, would in fact be pink. But I didn't say that, so the stairs are brown. Lots of muddy feet have been up and down them. Duh. :D

It is one Storey house, so there will be no stairs in the house.

As I asked in my spoiler before, what about the basement? Also, there could be stairs leading up to the front door or off of a deck or porch, or elsewhere in the house. I think the way I originally heard the question was "everything in the house is pink" meaning any stairs, would in fact be pink. But I didn't say that, so the stairs are brown. Lots of muddy feet have been up and down them. Duh. :D

A pink house wld be a girls house, they do tend to be clean. Your dirty stairs are flawed???

Or to put it another way, what's red and white or pink all over?

The house is one-storied,there are no stairs.

According to the basement idea, I would say that it is
no one would know except for the person who painted it. It could be any color at all.

Take a torch - they shut the door on you! Might want to take a skeleton ky too, ot tommy's tool!