BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Where is the F@$%($* Road?

BMAD

Question

After parachuting into the woods at night, you land right next to a sign that says : "Road: One Mile." But it has fallen over, and there's no way to know what direction the road is. Describe the shortest path you might take that will guarantee reaching (touching) the road. (You can't see the road until you reach it!) What's the maximum distance you might walk on your path?

12 answers to this question

I disagree. If you take the shortest path possible the maximum distance until you find the road, would not simply be many many miles.

I Do not understand

Is the road a straight line?

You have no way of knowing since this is a new location for you

since it can be a circular road the maximum can be 1mile

opps..i mean the minimum, but since you are asking for maximum..many miles should be the answer.

I disagree. If you take the shortest path possible the maximum distance until you find the road, would not simply be many many miles.

I Do not understand

Is the road a straight line?

You have no way of knowing since this is a new location for you

since it can be a circular road the maximum can be 1mile

opps..i mean the minimum, but since you are asking for maximum..many miles should be the answer.

Okey i will get it..

What's the maximum distance you might walk on your path . The shortest path that guarantee reaching the road has minimum and maximum. Maximum ..without walking back.

As I understand the question : What is the shortest or minimum possible distance to ensure reaching the road? Since the road is possible to be circular that maximum is also minimum.

To make it maximum we take the road to be a none straight end of the road.

So even it is a straight one if it is the " end of the road" (non tangential) the answer is still 1+2pi..

Edited by TimeSpaceLightForce