BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

The manager and the incumbent

BMAD

Question

The manager of a firm is considering the possibility of entering a new market, where there is only one other firm operating. The manager’s decision will be based on the profitability of the market, which in turn heavily depends on how the incumbent firm will react to the entry. The incumbent firm could be accommodating and let the entrant grab his share of the market or she could respond aggressively, meeting the entrant with a cut-throat price war. Another factor that affects the revenue stream is the investment level of the entering firm. The manager of the firm may invest to the latest technology and lower his operating costs (low cost case) or he may

go ahead with the existing technology and have higher operating costs (high cost case). The manager estimates that if his firm enters the market and the incumbent reacts aggressively, the total losses will be $7 million in low cost case and $10 million in high cost case. If the incumbent accommodates, however, the firm will enjoy a profit of $6 million in low cost case and $4 million in high cost case.

Given that the incumbent will act in their own best interest, what should the manager of the firm do?

4 answers to this question

Does the wording " ... let the entrant grab his share of the market ..." say there is a fixed market?
I.e. Is there a zero-sum assumption made?
i.e. One party's loss is the other party's gain?

Assume the Entrant is first to decide, and the Incumbent reacts.
The entrant should choose to invest (low cost option) and the Incumbent should fight.
Entrant loses $7million.

Incumbent should in no case accommodate.
Entrant should not risk losing $10 million by using existing tech.

Does the wording " ... let the entrant grab his share of the market ..." say there is a fixed market?

i.e. One party's loss is the other party's gain

yes. if the new firm joins the market, there are less customers for the incumbent

i.e. One party's loss is the other party's gain?

Assume the Entrant is first to decide, and the Incumbent reacts.

The entrant should choose to invest (low cost option) and the Incumbent should fight.

Entrant loses $7million.

Incumbent should in no case accommodate.

Entrant should not risk losing $10 million by using existing tech.

Consider the consequences of all the cases.