BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Blindman's Chess

TimeSpaceLightForce

Question

18 answers to this question

do you mean Re5?

I'm sure, he meant R x d5 checkmate.

However, there are many people out there who do not need a chessborad with pieces to play chess, and those people don't have to be actually blind.

The answer is

none.

Blind man does not play by moving his pieces, he simply announces his moves.

Whether his next move would be N x c6 to make the checkmating combination as found by Witzar is another question. The position is strange. Looks like both sides must have made some random moves leading to this point in the game. So anything is possible.

And after looking closer at other posts, I see Witzar has already given that answer.

Edited by Prime

a. nxp ck b. nxn

b. qb8 !! ---bishop 8---

that would be illegal

if i am currently at queen 6, then my queen can go to king 7 and end at bishop 8. what am i missing?

You are using a different notation. Other people here use algebraic notation, where columns are numbered "a" through "h" from left to right (on the White's side); and rows are numbered 1 through 8 from White's side to Black's. Your notation is called "descriptive". When you say qb8!!, it could be confused with algebraic Qb8. In descriptive notation correct designation of the move you suggest would be: Q-QB8?? (Queen to Queen's Bishop 8).

After which White loses his Queen: BxQ. (The Black's Bishop on g4, or in descriptive notation, the Bishop on KN5 (King's Knight 5) takes the White Queen.)

He can touch the pieces and the clock (touch move rule is also observed) ..he can imagine them in 3D like the blindfolded Rubik cubes solver.

In that case, it could be anything at all. After all, the man is blind, and there is nothing in the OP to suggest he can see two moves ahead.

However,

He could grab the pawn on c6 first, then put his Knight there.

He can touch the pieces and the clock (touch move rule is also observed) ..he can imagine them in 3D like the blindfolded Rubik cubes solver.

In that case, it could be anything at all. After all, the man is blind, and there is nothing in the OP to suggest he can see two moves ahead.

However,

that would be illegal

However,

that would be illegal

By what rules? I haven't played in any official tournament in awhile. Have the rules changed recently? From what I remember, if you touch your opponent's piece first, strict adherence to "touch move" would require capturing that piece if possible.

White can grab his queen rook from a1, place it at d1 and complete the castling move. Checkmate in one (or half a move , from the displayed position)

Hi DoctorStupid, Welcome to Brainden !Enjoy the den..

Yes,that is the only legal move. Thanks for solving.

note: you can hide your solution by clicking the button above when posting or type "

your text and image files

". You may preview it just click [Preview Post]