How many arms do you have?

Question

Posted · Report post

What is the probability that the next person you meet has an above average number of arms?

3 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Just a tiny bit under 100%. Unless you reside in some special place, like a hospital ward for amputees.

Posted · Report post

What is the probability that the next person you meet has an above average number of arms?

If the average person has 2 arms, then a person who has an above average number of arms would need at least 3 arms. So I would say the probability is almost zero that the next person I meet has that many arms.

Posted (edited) · Report post

If the average person has 2 arms, then a person who has an above average number of arms would need at least 3 arms. So I would say the probability is almost zero that the next person I meet has that many arms.

The mode may be 2 arms but some have less while no one has more. So lets look at a small sample of 2000 people and suppose that just 1 of them do not have 2 arms. That would mean there would be either 3999 or 3998 arms for that population. Looking at the first example, we would have 3999 arms/2000people or an average of 1.9995 arms per person. therefore, We can now see that 1,999 people would have an abover average number of arms. Which is a rate of 1999/2000 or 99.95% with a over average arms. In any sizeable population, it is extremely likely that you will find at least one person without an arm meaning that 2 arms is above average.

Look inside the spoiler.

Edited by BMAD