BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

The Adventure

Kikacat123

Question

I hope that you like this one. You are going on an adventure. Your goal is to find the hidden city of Atlantis. The problem is, you have enough food and water for your journey, but the only other things you have are a 200 foot coil of nylon rope, a full box of matches, a knife, a backpack, a fold up tent, a long walking stick, and your wits. You will face many dangers as you travel. It is your job to avoid the dangers and decipher the clues that will lead you to the Lost City of Atlantis. The way this game is played is simple, but there are a few rules.

1. I will periodically give you a clue or an obstacle to solve or evade.

2. The story will only continue when someone solves the riddle or figures out how to get past the obstacle.

3. When you have an obstacle, you must get past it using only the items that have been given to you.

4. There are ten obstacles and ten clues. If you solve all of them, you win the game!

5. Everyone can work together to solve riddles or obstacles. Go teamwork!

Your first clue is this:

I have a bed but do not sleep, have a mouth but do not eat, have a bank but have no cash, have no legs but run quite fast. What am I?

There you are! Now, go and reach that city!

Yes. It is a pizza in a pizza box that has (this you still have to figure out) a gem in it (technically it's not really a gem) that is somehow related to a parent (or is one).

I did not explain that very well. But yes, it has something to do with pizza. (Remember that the answer is wacky)

Edited by Kikacat123

Excuse me while I look up pizza toppings and ingredients...

OH WAIT!

Tomato paste is the fake blood! How did we not think of that sooner?

Just returned form a trip on Google typing in weird and wonderful things, hoping for a hint...

Anyway, you couldn't possibly mean pearl dragees? Those tiny little metallic sugar balls on cakes and whatnot... That would be an awful pizza.

"Umm... A pizza in a pizza box topped with mother of pearl?" you guess hesitantly.

"Correct!" booms the merman. He hands you a smooth, silvery bag coated in what looks like shiny snakeskin. "This bag will repel water and keep your items dry. But now we must hurry. Jump in!" He beckons you toward the water.

With a resounding splash, you leap in and begin following him as he swims deeper and deeper into the water. As you swim, you marvel at the colorful marine life around you. Bright corals, neon-colored fish and swirling weeds make an underwater wonderland.

A last, you come up to a murky cave.

"You must pass through this cave to reach Atlantis's gate." the merman tells you. "Beware, a horrendous monster lives within. I will help you to navigate your way around the most dangerous areas. But remember to be on you guard. There is no knowing when it may-"

Suddenly, a giant mottled tentacle whips out of the cave mouth and wraps itself around the merman, dragging him into the darkness.

Speechless, you are forced to make a split-second decision. What do you use from your bag to help the merman, and why. You can only hold one thing while battling the creature. How does one defeat a (presumably) giant squid?

Edited by Kikacat123

1. Dunk them into icy water. Somehow, I don't see that working here.

2. Stabbing them between the eyes. That, we might be able to do.
So, we could maybe use the knife (or our wonderfully sharp wits), perhaps tied to the end of the rope to murder the foul beast! Or just cut off his tentacle.

3. Scare them with loud noises and lights. Don't really see how we could do that. We could shout, but we don't have any lights.

You are currently on Obstacle Number Seven. There are three more obstacles and three more riddles to go.

Note: in order to make this more interesting (you have had plenty of obstacles to overcome), I would like at least three people to write a few paragraphs each giving their own description of the giant-squid battle scene. The best-written one will get the glory and credit of getting past the obstacle. A knife is the obvious choice for a weapon, but the more creative, the better. Have fun!

With a resounding splash, you leap in and begin following him as he swims deeper and deeper into the water. As you swim, you marvel at the colorful marine life around you. Bright corals, neon-colored fish and swirling weeds make an underwater wonderland. He snaps you back to reality and pushes something into your hands.

"If anything goes wrong, use this."

You look at the small, hollow tube he gave you and pocket it carefully.

"You must pass through this cave to reach Atlantis's gate." the merman tells you. "Beware, a horrendous monster lives within. I will help you to navigate your way around the most dangerous areas. But remember to be on you guard. There is no knowing when it may-"

Suddenly, a giant mottled tentacle whips out of the cave mouth and wraps itself around the merman, dragging him into the darkness.

Speechless, you are forced to make a split-second decision. Remembering the merman's words, you pull out the tube and, deciding that it was a whistle, blow into it. You hear no immediate sound, but a moment later a deafening creak -yes, creak- fills the water around you.

Then that mottled tentacle shoots out of the cave once more, but even before it grabs you, you feel an immensely powerful blast of water below you, knocking away the tentacle, and something huge appears under your feet. The creak is emitted from the massive creature's mouth again, and before you know it you're riding a sperm whale into battle with the kraken.

The whale uses its teeth to dig into the now-numb tentacle, pulling back sharply and dragging out the squid. The creature fights, but with (you like to think) some encouraging from you, the whale heaves and out comes the squid.

The creatures both recoil, preparing to fight. Suddenly and without warning, the whale, with you still on it, charges head first at its opponent. The squid's tentacles latch onto the gray back of the whale, but the mammal keeps pushing, driving the squid into the cave wall. The squid lashes out, almost catching you with a tentacle, but you dodge it as the whale continues to barrage the squid. Finally, the thrashing stops and the kraken stays still. The whale, with sucker marks all over its skin, pulls away and makes the distinctive creak, as if triumphant. But then a battered squid (yum!) appears, shooting ink out of its underside. Your eyes are covered with the mucky...thing, and so are the whale's.

Then the squid attacks, latching onto the whale and squeezing. The whale makes a pained sound and you hang on for life. Then the squid's hold slips on the slick ink (say that five times fast) and the whale takes the opportunity to bring its tail fin around and slam the squid into the ground. The whale then flips, making you fall off its back, and turns around. After some questionable-looking/smelling bubbles meet you, it swims away, into the deep.

The merman comes out of the cave, panting. "Good job," he gasped. Covered in ink, flatulated on by a sperm whale, you whimper.

My magnum opus.

Edited by Aaryan

With a resounding splash, you leap in and begin following him as he swims deeper and deeper into the water. As you swim, you marvel at the colorful marine life around you. Bright corals, neon-colored fish and swirling weeds make an underwater wonderland. He snaps you back to reality and pushes something into your hands.

"If anything goes wrong, use this."

You look at the small, hollow tube he gave you and pocket it carefully.

Speechless, you are forced to make a split-second decision. Remembering the merman's words, you pull out the tube and, deciding that it was a whistle, blow into it. You hear no immediate sound, but a moment later a deafening creak -yes, creak- fills the water around you.

Then that mottled tentacle shoots out of the cave once more, but even before it grabs you, you feel an immensely powerful blast of water below you, knocking away the tentacle, and something huge appears under your feet. The creak is emitted from the massive creature's mouth again, and before you know it you're riding a sperm whale into battle with the kraken.

The whale uses its teeth to dig into the now-numb tentacle, pulling back sharply and dragging out the squid. The creature fights, but with (you like to think) some encouraging from you, the whale heaves and out comes the squid.

The creatures both recoil, preparing to fight. Suddenly and without warning, the whale, with you still on it, charges head first at its opponent. The squid's tentacles latch onto the gray back of the whale, but the mammal keeps pushing, driving the squid into the cave wall. The squid lashes out, almost catching you with a tentacle, but you dodge it as the whale continues to barrage the squid. Finally, the thrashing stops and the kraken stays still. The whale, with sucker marks all over its skin, pulls away and makes the distinctive creak, as if triumphant. But then a battered squid (yum!) appears, shooting ink out of its underside. Your eyes are covered with the mucky...thing, and so are the whale's.

Then the squid attacks, latching onto the whale and squeezing. The whale makes a pained sound and you hang on for life. Then the squid's hold slips on the slick ink (say that five times fast) and the whale takes the opportunity to bring its tail fin around and slam the squid into the ground. The whale then flips, making you fall off its back, and turns around. After some questionable-looking/smelling bubbles meet you, it swims away, into the deep.

The merman comes out of the cave, panting. "Good job," he gasped. Covered in ink, flatulated on by a sperm whale, you whimper.

My magnum opus.

*slow applause*

The ultimate award.

*ahem* *cracks knuckles*

Here we go.

"NOOOOO!" I screamed in horror.

"Save.. me..." groaned the merman as the squid's tentacle began squeezing the life out of him. For a moment I considered leaving him and calling it a day.

"I'll save you!" I exclaimed, shaking thoughts of home and hot cup of tea from my mind. I needed this guy alive if I was to find Atlantis. Or, at the very least, I needed to appear to be helping.

I rushed into battle, arms and legs swinging wildly. Unfortunately, I'm not the strongest of swimmers, so I wasn't going anywhere fast.

"I'm... dying... here!" the merman wheezed quietly, the tentacle now waving him back and forth to taunt me.

"So... am... I!" I wheezed back. All that limb-swinging had really taken it out of me. I stood still, catching my breath for a moment, when I suddenly felt something wrap around my ankle - something slimy.

"I'm free! Thank you, good friend!" the merman said ecstaticly. He was swimming in small circles around me.

"Excuse me, I'm not sure if you'd noticed, but we may have a teensy, teensy little problem right here," I said, crossing my arms, and trying to kick the tentacle off my ankle.

The merman stopped swimming and looked down at the tentacle. "Ah. I see what you mean. Well, no favor goes unreturned in Atlantis!" he declared, then swam away from me.

"What. Are. You. DOING!?" I screamed, a flurry of bubbles flying out of my mouth.

"That plant you ate earlier - its effects are running out. See the bubbles? I'm getting something a little stronger."

"Oh. I see. But you seem to be swimming in the direction of the giant squid," I pointed out.

"Oh, I'll be fine! I'm a merman!" cried the merman. He bent over and picked up a small yellow plant with a striking resemblance to a mushroom. He looked up into the darkness where the squid lurked, and said simply, "Oh my." He then cracked up laughing.

I felt my breath going short, as more bubbles came out of my nose.

"I'm sure you're having fun going completely insane," I told my guide, "but I'm going to need that plant pretty soon."

"Of course," he said, then swam back to me, still giggling slightly.

He handed me the plant, and I shoved it in my mouth. I felt oxygen rushing into my veins, and found that the murky water looked a little less murky all of a sudden.

"So what exactly were you laughing about?" I asked the merman.

"Stay right there. I'll show you," he said, giggling all over again.

He swam towards the darkness, then disappeared into it. When he reappeared, he was carrying a tiny squid. It had seven tiny tentacles to match the rest of it, and one absolutely enormous one.

"Isn't he adorable?" the merman cooed.

"No, not really, considering he tried to kill both of us," I said angrily.

"Oh, he wasn't trying to kill us, he was giving us hugs!" the merman cried gleefully.

I rolled my eyes while facepalming.

"Well, now that's over with, let's move on!" he said, swimming ahead.

~ And they all lived happily ever after...~
~~THE END ~~