BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well itachi-sun it did last the night - I wonder which planet these people are on?

For the others I don.t know,but I'm from the planet Earth,wich is from the Solar system.

_____, Cronus, Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, Aphrodite, _____, _____

Which names are missing?

I think there is mystake-instead of Hades should be Aris and the missing ones are :Uranus,Gaia and Ermis.Zeus is Dias also,if I'm not wrong,if general I'm not wrong.

Edited by ash013

_____, Cronus, Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, Aphrodite, _____, _____

Which names are missing?

Uranus, Ares, Hermes

In roman, that would be Uranus, Saturn, Jupiter, Neptune, Pluto, Venus, Mars, Mercury.

Sound familiar?

(I suspected this from the start, but i figured since they weren't in order, that wasn't it. until you guys asked what planet we were from, that is ;).

Uranus, Ares, Hermes

In roman, that would be Uranus, Saturn, Jupiter, Neptune, Pluto, Venus, Mars, Mercury.

Sound familiar?

(I suspected this from the start, but i figured since they weren't in order, that wasn't it. until you guys asked what planet we were from, that is ;).

nice way of thinking B)) , I'm tempted to cheat and use wikipedia if this is still not correct

nice way of thinking B)) , I'm tempted to cheat and use wikipedia if this is still not correct

i cheated too, to be honest. I looked up the translations of greek to roman gods on google and found a list. :P

Uranus, Ares, Hermes

Sound familiar?

Yes,but as I said itachi-san made big mystake.On greek there is no planet called Hades.I think he ment Mars-Aris.Hades is the god of underworld,Aris is the god of the war.Also Jupiter is Dias,but if i remember correct they use Zeus also.That's total mixed up and cofused me a lot.You forgeting the Earth-Gaia.Pluto is not anymore main planet in the Solar system.

Yes,but as I said itachi-san made big mystake.On greek there is no planet called Hades.I think he ment Mars-Aris.Hades is the god of underworld,Aris is the god of the war.Also Jupiter is Dias,but if i remember correct they use Zeus also.That's total mixed up and cofused me a lot.You forgeting the Earth-Gaia.Pluto is not anymore main planet in the Solar system.

Hades and pluto - romans took from greek

Pluto has been dropped I believe as far as a planet is concerned, subjugated to a comet I think.

still on Gaia or gonna visit me up in the ether?

or shal I come there for a pancake?

Edited by Lost in space

Nice job everyone B)) I'll throw in a few comments to clarify some things.

1) There is a meaning to the order I picked. They are in Generational order:

Uranus

Cronus

Zeus, Hades, Poseidon, Aphrodite

Ares, Hermes

I chose this order to help (with Uranus) and to confuse (for the last 2)

2) They don't have to represent the Greek versions of the planets. They are actually intended to be the Greek names for the planets. Not only is Pluto Greek, but so is Uranus which doesn't have much of alternative name except for Oraunos (spelled many different ways apparently)

3) I used the original solar system because the current 1 gets too complicated with all the dwarf planets which Pluto is now a part, and what is and what shouldn't be classified as this or that...

4) Also, a case could be made to include Gaia, so I added a hint that said she didn't meet 1 of the criteria. Her Roman counterpart is Terra. There is no Greek God that actually is corresponds to the name Earth

Nice job everyone B)) I'll throw in a few comments to clarify some things.

1) There is a meaning to the order I picked. They are in Generational order:

Uranus

Cronus

Zeus, Hades, Poseidon, Aphrodite

Ares, Hermes

I chose this order to help (with Uranus) and to confuse (for the last 2)

2) They don't have to represent the Greek versions of the planets. They are actually intended to be the Greek names for the planets. Not only is Pluto Greek, but so is Uranus which doesn't have much of alternative name except for Oraunos (spelled many different ways apparently)

3) I used the original solar system because the current 1 gets too complicated with all the dwarf planets which Pluto is now a part, and what is and what shouldn't be classified as this or that...

4) Also, a case could be made to include Gaia, so I added a hint that said she didn't meet 1 of the criteria. Her Roman counterpart is Terra. There is no Greek God that actually is corresponds to the name Earth

You better check greek mythology,Gaia is the goddess of the Earth and that's how the greeks call the earth-Gaia.Can you tell me which planet is Hades?

Hades and pluto - romans took from greek

Pluto has been dropped I believe as far as a planet is concerned, subjugated to a comet I think.

still on Gaia or gonna visit me up in the ether?

or shal I come there for a pancake?

If you are lost in space I don't know for what ether you talking about,but if you want come to Gaia,but i doubt for the pancake,just because I haven't try one yet,but you can bring something sweet from the outer space!

Edited by ash013

Here's your answer for Hades: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hades

As for Gaia, perhaps I misspoke or wasn't clear enough. Earth is not directly named after a God. Earth is a modern word derived from many sources. I accounted for this in a hint I posted to clarify this exact question. If you call the Earth Terra, then you are 1 in a million.

ash013:

Here's some more clarification on the naming of Earth: "The name Earth originated from the 8th century Anglo-Saxon word erda, which means ground or soil. In Old English the word became eorthe, then erthe in Middle English.[106] Earth was first used as the name of the planet around 1400.[107] It is the only planet whose name in English is not derived from greco-roman mythology."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_named_earth

The Earth was named way before we realized it was one of the planets. Therefore, there was no attempt to name it in a similar fashion to the other planets.

Edited by itachi-san

I'll let the terra-firma bit go (legal term some time ago for dry land may still be)

I think you were right to leave out earth - I would have, especially as it is shared by several greek/roman gods. Also it detracts from obvious figures, peopl see 52 and imediately think 1 year

Great post - i rate it high along with your insight on other topics

ash013:

Here's some more clarification on the naming of Earth: "The name Earth originated from the 8th century Anglo-Saxon word erda, which means ground or soil. In Old English the word became eorthe, then erthe in Middle English.[106] Earth was first used as the name of the planet around 1400.[107] It is the only planet whose name in English is not derived from greco-roman mythology."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_named_earth

The Earth was named way before we realized it was one of the planets. Therefore, there was no attempt to name it in a similar fashion to the other planets.

You wanna check something,check this:

http://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%97%CE%BB%...%B7%CE%BC%CE%B1

I don't know if you know greek,but I can tell you what is written there-AGAIN AS I SAID THE GREEKS CALLED THE PLANET EARTH GAIA(Γη),THERE IS NO PLANET CALLED HADES.PLUTO IS PLUTONAS( Πλούτωνας).YOU'LL THANK ME LATER.Good night.Please,next time when you post a puzzle check better the background.No bad feelings.

You wanna check something,check this:

http://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%97%CE%BB%...%B7%CE%BC%CE%B1

I don't know if you know greek,but I can tell you what is written there-AGAIN AS I SAID THE GREEKS CALLED THE PLANET EARTH GAIA(Γη),THERE IS NO PLANET CALLED HADES.PLUTO IS PLUTONAS( Πλούτωνας).YOU'LL THANK ME LATER.Good night.Please,next time when you post a puzzle check better the background.No bad feelings.

Wow. Read my posts before spouting off please. The Earth problem you have should be answered at least twice by now so read the posts over carefully. For your recurring Hades problem: to repeat, I used the ORIGINAL SOLAR SYSTEM. If I used the current solar system (which is not entirely agreed upon as far as dwarf planets go), it would have been not only too difficult to solve, but a very messy setup... any other complaints?

Wow. Read my posts before spouting off please. The Earth problem you have should be answered at least twice by now so read the posts over carefully. For your recurring Hades problem: to repeat, I used the ORIGINAL SOLAR SYSTEM. If I used the current solar system (which is not entirely agreed upon as far as dwarf planets go), it would have been not only too difficult to solve, but a very messy setup... any other complaints?

Doesn't matter.Pluto is dwarf planet now,but this doesn't change the fact,that never was called Hades.Still calls Plutonas(on greek) no matter is a dwarf planet or not.I don't understand what you telling me for the Earth.You started the puzzel by giving the greek names of the planets of the Solar system and what i'm telling you is,that on greek Earth is Gaia.Where is the problem?

Edited by ash013

sorry Ash013, greek is a problem for me

I think the point was that earth as used in english (the language of the post) was not named after a greek or roman god, Pluto is from Hades according to some/several bits of information. Maybe it could not be included unless written in greek (though itachi-san will have his own reason perhaps).

It made the puzzle more interesting, I had spotted that gaia was missing and baffled me for a while untill i realised the link or missing link, then titan (moon) got a mention and should have been a give away, except it may have confused some people regarding family relationships, or shakespears characters - easy to miss if you are looking in the wrong place.

Don't loose sleep - it was a good puzzle!

sorry Ash013, greek is a problem for me

I think the point was that earth as used in english (the language of the post) was not named after a greek or roman god, Pluto is from Hades according to some/several bits of information. Maybe it could not be included unless written in greek (though itachi-san will have his own reason perhaps).

It made the puzzle more interesting, I had spotted that gaia was missing and baffled me for a while untill i realised the link or missing link, then titan (moon) got a mention and should have been a give away, except it may have confused some people regarding family relationships, or shakespears characters - easy to miss if you are looking in the wrong place.

Don't loose sleep - it was a good puzzle!

I agree.Was a good puzzel.Good night .

Just to beat a dead horse: we have 2 issues: 1) Hades = Pluto? and 2) why no Earth?

1) According to Wikipedia Hades was also called Pluto http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hades in Greek. Nothing is said about having to convert names from Roman to Greek (i.e. Uranus is Greek)

2) Earth is simply not the name of a God. It was named before the God naming convention of Planets took place. It is derived from a number of languages including Old English. If it were named after a God (therefore fitting all common naming conventions with the other planets) we would live on Planet Terra or Planet Gaia

Just to beat a dead horse: we have 2 issues: 1) Hades = Pluto? and 2) why no Earth?

1) According to Wikipedia Hades was also called Pluto http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hades in Greek. Nothing is said about having to convert names from Roman to Greek (i.e. Uranus is Greek)

2) Earth is simply not the name of a God. It was named before the God naming convention of Planets took place. It is derived from a number of languages including Old English. If it were named after a God (therefore fitting all common naming conventions with the other planets) we would live on Planet Terra or Planet Gaia

Obviously we are not going anywhere like that.Before to close this conversation I want to tell you two thinks:

1.Yes,we live on planet Gaia.At least that's what believe approximately 13million people.

2.Very good puzzle,smart one.I really liked it.

Obviously we are not going anywhere like that.Before to close this conversation I want to tell you two thinks:

1.Yes,we live on planet Gaia.At least that's what believe approximately 13million people.

2.Very good puzzle,smart one.I really liked it.

Well, I live on Planet Earth. I'm not about to make any sacrificial offerings to Apollo any time soon.