Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Question

Posted · Report post

Okay I am in a contest and we can use the internet or any resource available and I am stumped on this one, please help me.

A dealer takes a new deck of playing cards and takes out the jokers and then dealt himself 6 cards. He then dealt the remaining cards evenly amongst the other players. There were less than 20 seats at the table. Other than the dealer, how many players were there, and how many cards did each players have?

6 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

After he deals himself, there will be 46 card left. He can distribute them equally among two people. There's no other amount of players that can be had where it's possible to distribute the cards equally without having at least 23 people.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Okay I am in a contest and we can use the internet or any resource available and I am stumped on this one, please help me.

A dealer takes a new deck of playing cards and takes out the jokers and then dealt himself 6 cards. He then dealt the remaining cards evenly amongst the other players. There were less than 20 seats at the table. Other than the dealer, how many players were there, and how many cards did each players have?

There are 52 cards in a regular deck (2-10,j,q,k,a =13 * 4 suits).

Since he dealt himself 6 cards, that leaves 46.

The factors of 46 that are less than 20 are just 2.

so 2 players with 23 cards each.

Edited by EventHorizon

Posted · Report post

There are 52 cards in a regular deck (2-10,j,q,k,a =13 * 4 suits).

Since he dealt himself 6 cards, that leaves 46.

The factors of 46 that are less than 20 are just 2.

so 2 players with 23 cards each.

Of course 1 is also a factor, but in the problem it mentioned "players" (plural).

Posted · Report post

The no of cards remaining is 46. It has factors of 23,2. As the number of players are less than 20, So it is 2 players with 23 cards each.

Posted · Report post

After taking out 6 cards there were 46 cards left:

52-6=46

Aside from 1 only 2 players can be playing giving them 23 cards each:

46/2=23

Posted · Report post

Pack was not defined

In some parts of Europe

They usually have a deck of 32 or 36 cards. The numbering includes VII, VIII, IX, X, Under, Over, King and Ace. Some variations with 36 cards have also the number VI.

players in relation to the question can mean one or more, how many players turned up, Answer ONE

Also possible, some games have a meld, have piles to build on or take from, perhaps all does mean remainder after the dealer has had six. Well first establish No. of cards. And if there are any others laid face up on the table relative to the game as in some forms of poker as well as patience that can have more than one player.

Worth noting 'One eyed jacks' can be wild - so can anyone for that matter!