BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Go? Go where?

Yoruichi-san

Question

Being the extraordinary cheapskates *cough* multi-taskers we are, the Chinese have developed a bevy of games utilizing a wei chi set.

One such game is Connect Five, in which (like it sounds) black and white take turns laying down pieces until one player has a line of five pieces (horizontal, vertical, or diagonal) and wins.

Assuming both players are actually trying to win, what is the maximum size (square) board on which the game could end in a tie?

5 answers to this question

I don't believe the game was solved 40 years ago, when I used to play it occasionally. I did not solve it then, even though I was younger and my brain worked faster.

The game could be solved with a computer program, I suppose (if there is a forced win.)

I don't understand what "solved to some degree" means. If it is solved there must be an answer in terms of the number of moves required at the most (to win.) Whereas the longest (in terms of number of moves) required path to the win may not be necessarily the one requiring the largest square board. There may be spacially longer winning paths with less moves.

Listing all variations may take some time.