BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

indescribable paradox

flamebirde

• 1 month later...

"Indescribable" implies that you cannot think of any words to describe it, or, if you can, that you think the description will not be adequate for expressing the magnitude of your experience. Therefore, any adjective used to say something is "indescribable" would be contradicting itself. When you encounter something that is impossible to relate to someone, it would technically be more proper to say "I can't describe it".

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Indescribable refers to the situation of your ability to describe not to the object or experience you wish to describe.

Compare.

The girl is beautiful. Refers to the girl.

The girl is indescribably beautiful. Refers to the girl.

I don't have words to describe the girl's beauty. Refers to my ability to describe.

• 5 months later...

"Indescribable" is not a quality or a proper adjective. You cannot describe something by saying it is "indescribable"  It is the following adjective which determines the nature of "indescribable" quality. E.g this cake is indescribably delicious means it is very delicious. Now try and comprehend the following sentence:

The cake is indescribable.

You cant comprehend whether the cake is good or bad in taste. The word "indescribable" itself doesn't give you any description and thats what makes this paradox a fail :)  

"Indescribable" is not a quality or a proper adjective. You cannot describe something by saying it is "indescribable"  It is the following adjective which determines the nature of "indescribable" quality. E.g this cake is indescribably delicious means it is very delicious. Now try and comprehend the following sentence:

The cake is indescribable.

You cant comprehend whether the cake is good or bad in taste. The word "indescribable" itself doesn't give you any description and thats what makes this paradox a fail :)  

The adjective you used for proper, seems improper. A "proper adjective" is an adjective that is derived from a proper noun, such as the adjective Shakespearean comes from the proper noun Shakespeare. An adjective modifies a noun, or describes or assigns an attribute to the noun. "The cake is indescribable", in the example is assigning the attribute that the cake can not be adequately described.

• 10 months later...

"Indescribable" implies that you cannot think of any words to describe it, or, if you can, that you think the description will not be adequate for expressing the magnitude of your experience. Therefore, any adjective used to say something is "indescribable" would be contradicting itself. When you encounter something that is impossible to relate to someone, it would technically be more proper to say "I can't describe it".

But even saying "I can't describe it" articulates some manner of an understanding for how the situation/incidence makes you feel, which you've managed to reciprocate to someone else. In the end, you'll always be "describing" something that's indescribable. I think its better to just shrug when you're speechless about a situation lol. That way you really do show that you cannot fathom a description. :)

Edited by avie

• 4 weeks later...

If you say something is indescribable, haven't you just described it as indescribable?

That's definitely not a paradox, I'd say it's a tautology - a statement void of any value, which does not indicates anything new;

Example: A or not A -> Either I'm bald, or I have hair.
"an indescribable cake" or "a cake" are the very same thing, with "indescribable" basic meaning..

The adjective "indescribable" would be better defined as "hard to describe" - which would actually mean something.