BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Ultimate Mate

TimeSpaceLightForce

Question

post-53237-0-95425500-1358495079_thumb.j

Take all the black pieces except for the King and
all the white pawns out of the board on initial position.
From this position White makes regular chess moves.
Black King can jump to any unattacked square.
Black King is not allowed to capture White pieces.
Check mate the Black King.
This has a 9 moves solution but less than 20 will do..

10 answers to this question

Another ultimate mate position in 11 moves.

attachicon.gifchessallsq11.png

1) Qd6; 2) Kd2; 3) Ra8; 4) Rh5; 5) Bb2; 6) Bd4; 7) Bg2; 8) Bd5; 9) Na3; 10) Nf3; 11) Nh2.

Superb position Prime! A good chess player can't be as good puzzle solver. thanks for this find...

btw, beware of stealmate,like if the Black king is on f1 on your 9)Na3... you can make it your 11) Na3 instead

1) Qd6; 2) Kd2; 3) Ra8; 4) Rh5; 5) Bb2; 6) Bd4; 7) Bg2; 8) Bd5; 9) Na3; 10) Nf3; 11) Nh2.

Superb position Prime! A good chess player can't be as good puzzle solver. thanks for this find...

btw, beware of stealmate,like if the Black king is on f1 on your 9)Na3... you can make it your 11) Na3 instead

Thanks, TSLF.

I don't see how Black can get stalemate in that sequence.

If Black King is on f1 when 9) Na3, then 9) .... Kg4; 10) Nf3 Kf1(or Kg2); 11) Nh2 checkmate.

Besides, it is not entirely clear from the OP that Black King is not allowed to skip a move and stay on the same spot. Another issue is that of the White King moving into a check. For example, in my sequence: 1) Qd6 Kc2; and now White does not have 2) Kd2. I guess, Black should not be allowed to stay on the same square on his move. Then White can always get to his planned end position by changing move order.

I could not find the 9-move variation. :(

Thanks, TSLF.

I don't see how Black can get stalemate in that sequence.

If Black King is on f1 when 9) Na3, then 9) .... Kg4; 10) Nf3 Kf1(or Kg2); 11) Nh2 checkmate.

Besides, it is not entirely clear from the OP that Black King is not allowed to skip a move and stay on the same spot. Another issue is that of the White King moving into a check. For example, in my sequence: 1) Qd6 Kc2; and now White does not have 2) Kd2. I guess, Black should not be allowed to stay on the same square on his move. Then White can always get to his planned end position by changing move order.

I could not find the 9-move variation. :(

my blunder, Kg4 yes, the black king is just there for the play , i guess any solution can give continuous checks to ensure checkmate.