BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

BRIAN DENNIS: WARM-UP

Cavenglok

Question

Hello, Internet. Brian Dennis veterans, welcome back. Newcomers, nice to meet you. A long time ago, I hosted a mystery create-your-own-adventure type of thing called "Brian Dennis." It's back again, and just to see if it'll work out after all this time, I'm doing a warm-up. Here are the rules.

Every one of you are collectively a detective named Brian Dennis in fictional Climax City. You control him by giving me instructions, and I will tell you how your decisions impact the case. You can ask for autopsies, interrogations, whatnot. Your main goal is to quickly catch the criminal. You have an iPhone, a lie detector, a pistol, and his trademark taser. (Seriously, guys, please don't go overkill with the taser)

Please note that there may be violence. All events, locations and people are completely fictional.

11:06 PM, December 25th, 2012

Wellesley Manor

You walk into the rustic hallways of Wellesley Manor.

"Another murder, eh?" you say to Officer Harrison. He's been with you for most of your big cases.

"Yes, sir. Mr. John T. Wellesley. He's the man of the house. His wife saw him on the 2nd floor hallway, sword through his heart. No other bodily damage, so far as we can tell. But the curious thing is, there was a rusty old suit of armor kneeling by his side, holding the sword. The suit itself had no one inside, and there were no fingerprints, or any sign that someone had been inside it at all. It's as if the suit of armor killed Mr. Wellesley."

"Any sign it could have just been carried over?"

"Sure, it could have. But there's no way we can carry on from that, there is evidence inside."

"Suspects?"

"Here's the list, sir."

He hands you a list of names and descriptions. You smile and thank him.

I'll start you off with a few options. You may:

1) Interrogate the suspects.

2) Observe the scene of the crime.

3) Call for an autopsy.

4) Anything else you can think of.

SUSPECTS:

- Mary Wellesley, 65, Mr. Wellesley's wife. The two had an unhappy marriage, but they started great humanitarian programs together. First met Mr. Wellesley by being his secretary. Retired and was trying to convince Mr. Wellesley to retire as well.

- Arthur Green, 53, the butler. He was Mr. Wellesley's most trusted man in the mansion. He knew all of Mr. Wellesley's secrets, and devoted his life to serving him. He's been working for Mr. Wellesley for 14 years.

- Michael Kaufman, 72, owner of Kaufman and Co.. Successful lawyer that's been vying for the Wellesley mansion. He and Mr. Wellesley were friendly competitors until Mr. Wellesley sued Kaufman and Co., and they became vicious rivals.

- Rick Wayne, 28, CCN (Climax City News) reporter. Has been trying to get an interview in with Mr. Kaufman and Mr. Wellesley about the lawsuit. Mr. Wellesley lately told him that "his paparazzi network can go f*ck themselves." Mr. Wayne was almost fired because of this statement, unless he can get this interview.

Best of luck. Go!

Edited by Cavenglok

@phaze The room is a neutral, concrete and completely theoretical room that probably wouldn't exist. No one else is in the room with you. The suit has already been dusted for prints, but there was nothing positive. Even if there was that much rust, the police say that they would usually find something.

INTERROGATION: HOWARD (we haven't moved. We are in a hypothetical neutral room. Give me a specific room to move to.)

YOU: What superstitions are there concerning the suit of armor?

HOWARD: I don't know, sir. I remember Mr. Wellesley was very fond of it. He seemed to force it on himself.

@Aaryan Okay, I think this is right. If time hasn't passed at all since you've arrived, (again, hypothetical and also easier for my wee little brain to handle) then the watch says 10:53. Mrs. Wellesley identified it as Mr. Green's.

Anything else?

Hmm, I was trying to see what EMILY HOWARD was so nervous about (and hence failing lie detector test)

Try using a bottle of scotch (for her, not you! you need your wits about you) and then try the polygraph again

Where were you at 10am?

What was the weather like outside at 10am? (control question)

Where do you think Mr Green was at 10am?

Where do you think Mrs Wellesley was at 10am?

Where do you think Mr Kaufman was at 10am?

Have you seen the rare orchid that Mr Wellesley kept in the study? (Assuming that there is no such thing in Mr Greens study, take note of any surprised reaction or pause)

What time is it?

Examine all the suspects hands (looking for rust), also search the house for any unusual rust discoloured items.

Edited by phaze

Oops, sorry about that. Was tired, but now I'm in my proper senses.

INTERROGATION: HOWARD

You give her the scotch. She drinks. A lot.

YOU: What superstitions are there concerning the suit of armor?

HOWARD: I don't know, shir. I remember Mr. Welleshley wush very fond of it. He sheemed to forshe himshelf to like it.

TRUE.

YOU: (I'm presuming you meant 10 PM) What was the weather like at 10 PM? (by the way, it was a cold day)

HOWARD: Ooh, nice and breeshy. Kinda chilly, if you ask me.

TRUE.

YOU: Where were you at 10 PM?

HOWARD: I wush in the kitchen, cooking, you know, for the missush.

TRUE.

YOU: Where was Mr. Green at 10 PM?

HOWARD: Oh, I dunno, probably shomewhere sherving drinks or whatever butlersh do. Oh, never mind, he came in here! He wush telling me not to drink. (looks at scotch) Oopsh.

TRUE.

YOU: Where was Mrs. Wellesley at 10 PM?

HOWARD: The missush wush off danshing or pranshing or whatever. I remember her telling me not to let anyone come to the trophy room. Mishtur Welleshley was very fond of that room, you know.

TRUE.

YOU: Where was Mr. Kaufman?

HOWARD: Oh, partying with his friendsh, I shupposhe. I didn't shee him.

TRUE.

YOU: Have you seen the rare orchid in Mr. Wellesley's study?

HOWARD: Rare orchid? (frowns, then tilts her head) I don't know what you mean, shir.

TRUE.

YOU: What time is it?

HOWARD: Oh, sheven, eight. Nine. Eight thirty? Shomething like that.

TRUE.

YOU: You seem really relaxed tonight, Ms. Howard.

Howard collapses and starts snoring on the table. Maybe you gave her too much scotch.

You observe her hands. No rust.

You should probably let her sleep it off. And hope she doesn't report you the next morning.

Edited by Cavenglok

REVIEW: (it's for me, too. Correct me on anything I got wrong.)

MARY WELLESLEY:

There was mention of an unhappy marriage. She was courted by both John Wellesley and Michael Kaufman when they were younger. She says she was in the kitchen at 10:00 PM. Emily Howard, a maid, initially said she was in the kitchen as well very nervously. When inebriated, she confessed she was not there, and mentioned a remark about the trophy room. Mr. Green said she was not in the kitchen. She knows about Mr. Wellesley's nightmares about the suit of armor. She was allowed to enter the trophy room.

ARTHUR GREEN:

He lost a watch, and for some reason wears another one on his left wrist, though he is left-handed. He has tan lines on his right wrist. Mrs. Wellesley claims that the watch found in the suit of armor is Mr. Green's. He claims to have been in the kitchen at the time of death. Howard nervously said that he was present in the kitchen. Mrs. Wellesley claims that Mr. Green was in the kitchen, alongside her. According to Mrs. Wellesley, he knows about Mr. Wellesley's nightmares about the suit of armor. Mr. Green claims that Mr. Wellesley wouldn't let him in the trophy room, but Mrs. Wellesley tells you otherwise.

MICHAEL KAUFMAN:

According to Howard, he was in the ballroom at the time of death. He and Mr. Wellesley were financial rivals. Mr. Kaufman lost a lot of money due to Mr. Wellesley suing him.

EMILY HOWARD:

She was very nervous initially, but talked after getting drunk, which she claims Mr. Green instructed her not to do. She was at the kitchen. According to her, Mrs. Wellesley was not in the kitchen and Mr. Green was present. She is currently passed out in your interrogation room.

RICK WAYNE:

Literally nothing to catch up on. Wanna ask him anything?

Make sure EMILY is well looked after and then continue investigation

MARY WELLESLEY:

Did you see Rick at all? Where was he?

What are your opinions about Michael?

Is there anyone else who knew about your husbands nightmares?

Did you husband have any other regular nocturnal activities?

How was your husbands mental health?

Before today has the suit of armour ever been out of place or somewhere is should not be?

We have had a couple of witnesses claim your were not in the kitchen. Why were you in the trophy room at 10pm?

What happened in the trophy room?

Would you like a drink of scotch?

* examine hands for rust *

MICHAEL KAUFMAN:

Where were you at 9.30 pm?

How about 10 pm?

Where did you see Mr Wellesley tonight?

Where did you see Mrs Wellesley tonight?

Where did you see Mr Green tonight?

What did Mr Wellesley sue you for?

For how much money?

Are you familiar with the rare orchard in the trophy room?

How about a suit of amour?

As you seem familiar with the law, how would I go about charging a reporter for murder?

How about a suit of amour?

Scotch?

RICK WAYNE:

As you are a reporter I am assuming you are pretty observant. Did you notice anything out of the ordinary?

Where were you at 10pm?

Who was with you?

Did you manage to conduct an interview with Mr Wellesley?

Did you manage to conduct an interview with Mrs Wellesley?

Did you manage to conduct an interview with Mr Kaufman?

Was there anyone else that you managed to conduct an interview with?

Where you aware that Mr Wellesley was a sleep walker?

Scotch?

ARTHUR GREEN:

Who's watch is this? (hold up watch from armour)

Who was in the kitchen at 10pm?

We have had a couple of witnesses claim your were not in the kitchen. Why were you in the trophy room at 10pm?

Why do you think Mr Wellesley drank so much?

Would you care for a drink of scotch? apparently it it quite popular among those I have interviewed.

EXAMINE trophy room for clues*

EXAMINE kitchen for clues*

EXAMINE ballroom for clues*

clues* = anything with rust stains, any sharp instruments with smaller blades than the armours sword with traces of blood on them, any "medicinal" herbs or pills

Edited by phaze

Due to my insane need to categorize, I've put together all the known evidence provided by Cavenglok. Glok, could you put this into your signature and add on info whenever you post more? Makes referencing evidence a lot easier.

Setting of the Crime

Talk with Harrison +Observation of 2nd floor hallway

Green Interrogation Prelude (no questions), some autopsy questions answered

2nd floor hallway, Autopsy 1, Analysis of Hair

Green interrogation 1, Autopsy 2

Green Interrogation 2

Wellesley Interrogation 1, Green interrogation 3, Autopsy 3, Trophy Room Observation

Wellesley Interrogation 2, Autopsy (sort of) 4

Wellesley Interrogation 3

Summary of known evidence

Wellesley Interrogation 4, Evidence of Sarah Hoover, Green Interrogation 4, Observation of Suit of Armor

Howard Interrogation 1, Green Interrogation 5

Howard Interrogation 2 (short)

Howard Interrogation 3 (Drunk)

Review of the Evidence 2

Back to business. We've apparently forgotten about poor Sarah Hoover; she said that Wellesley was definitely not in the kitchens (assuming that if she had been, it would have been an unusual occurrence and therefore Hoover would have remembered it). Thus, we can safely say that Mrs. Wellesley was NOT in the kitchens, as previously thought.

Also, apparently Wellesley said not to go near the trophy room. Things are looking suspicious, but there are a lot of unanswered questions. Get a list of statements (just say, x people said so, or that everyone said so, etc.) from all the maids/staff as to whether Mrs. Wellesley said not to go near the trophy room.

On the part of Green, we have the watch situation as well as the fact that he apparently wasn't in the kitchens, and him telling Howard not to drink (but that could just be pride).

Edited by Aaryan

It doesn't all fit in the sig. If you can change it so it fits, I'd appreciate it very much.

INTERROGATION: WELLESLEY (remember, she can't wear the lie detector)

YOU: Did you see Mr. Wayne at all anywhere?

WELLESLEY: Uh... no, I did not.

YOU: Do you have any idea where he might have been?

WELLESLEY: He was probably bothering John about that interview he wanted.

YOU: Is there anyone else who knew about your husband's nightmares?

WELLESLEY: Hm... no. Just me, John and Mr. Green.

YOU: Did your husband have any other regular nocturnal activities?

WELLESLEY: Not really. He snored. (chuckles)

YOU: How was your husband's mental health?

WELLESLEY: Oh, he was fine. Just a normal old fellow. Very old, in fact.

YOU: Before tonight, has the suit of armor been anywhere it shouldn't be?

WELLESLEY: Hm... I believe not.

YOU: A few witnesses told us that you were not present in the kitchen.

WELLESLEY: (abruptly) Who said that?

YOU: Uh... I am not legally permitted to give that kind of information.

WELLESLEY: (chuckles nervously) Oh, yes. Of course.

YOU: Were you in the trophy room?

WELLESLEY: Sorry?

YOU: What were you doing in the trophy room at 10:00 PM?

WELLESLEY: Oh, you think I killed my husband? How can you even suggest that?

YOU: Please Mrs. Wellesley, calm do-

WELLESLEY: HE WAS MY HUSBAND, YOU SON OF A B*TCH!

(after calming her down, she manages to speak again)

WELLESLEY: I told you, I was in the kitchen.

YOU: So you don't know what might've happened in the trophy room?

WELLESLEY: No, no idea.

YOU: Would you like some scotch?

WELLESLEY: Oh, you're too kind, but I don't drink. It's bad for my health.

OBSERVATION: WELLESLEY'S HANDS

They aren't rusty. In fact, quite pale. You do spot one bruise on one of her knuckles.

INTERROGATION: KAUFMAN

YOU: Hello, Mr. Kaufman.

KAUFMAN: Yes, hello.

YOU: Where were you at 9:30?

KAUFMAN: I was having dinner with the family.

TRUE.

YOU: Where were you at 10:00?

KAUFMAN: I was dancing. There was a beautiful lady, and we danced.

LIE.

YOU: Where was Mr. Wellesley tonight?

KAUFMAN: I'm not quite sure. I saw him, we talked for a bit, then he went upstairs in a fit.

TRUE.

YOU: Where was Mrs. Wellesley tonight?

KAUFMAN: Oh, probably... in the kitchen. I didn't see her.

LIE.

YOU: Where was Mr. Green?

KAUFMAN: Oh, nice fellow. He was handing out drinks and such. He said he had to go to the kitchen, sort of suspicious, hm?

TRUE.

YOU: What did Mr. Wellesley sue you for?

KAUFMAN: Oh, something about plagiarism. It was complete rubbish.

LIE.

YOU: For how much money?

KAUFMAN: A few thousand dollars, it's all in the past now.

LIE.

YOU: Are you familiar of the rare orchid in the trophy room?

KAUFMAN: What do you mean, boy? There aren't any flowers in his trophy room!

TRUE.

YOU: You seem familiar with law. How would I go about charging the reporter for murder?

KAUFMAN: ...I am not familiar with this area. I believe that is up to you to decide. You should know how to do this by now, shouldn't you?

TRUE.

YOU: Have you heard of the suit of armor?

KAUFMAN: Oh, the murderer's costume. I'm not quite sure what it's all about, though. Do you have any idea?

TRUE.

YOU: Would you like some scotch?

KAUFMAN: Oh, yes, please.

OBSERVATION: KAUFMAN'S HANDS

Wrinkled, old. No sign of rust.

INTERROGATION: WAYNE

YOU: Hello, Mr. Wayne.

WAYNE: I swear I didn't kill him, I swear!

TRUE.

YOU: As you're a reporter, I take it you're very observant. Can you tell me if there was anything out of the ordinary?

WAYNE: Well, all I noticed was Mr. Wellesley walking upstairs. He looked quite frightened by something.

TRUE.

YOU: Where were you at 10:00 PM?

WAYNE: Well, this was all at 10:00 PM. I saw a chance to get him alone, so naturally I went upstairs and tried to get my interview. But, when I was up there, I saw a suit of armor stabbing him in the back. I ran downstairs and I cried for help. By the time we came back, the murderer was gone, and the suit of armor was just kneeling there.

LIE.

YOU: Who was with you?

WAYNE: No one. I wanted to get that interview alone.

TRUE.

YOU: Did you get an interview with Mrs. Wellesley or Mr. Kaufman? Anyone at all?

WAYNE: Well, I wasn't very interested in what they had to say. Only Mr. Wellesley.

TRUE.

YOU: Are you aware that Mr. Wellesley is a sleep-walker?

WAYNE: No, but that might be an interesting note for my article.

TRUE.

(I'll do the rest in a few hours)

OBSERVATION: WELLESLEY'S HANDS

They aren't rusty. In fact, quite pale. You do spot one bruise on one of her knuckles.

Notes: We need to ask her about her knuckles, take note if any of the suspects have suspicious bruises or else we could assume that it came into something a little more solid but rusty.

INTERROGATION: KAUFMAN

YOU: Where were you at 10:00?

KAUFMAN: I was dancing. There was a beautiful lady, and we danced.

LIE.

Notes: Possibly covering for being in trophy room see note below

YOU: Where was Mr. Wellesley tonight?

KAUFMAN: I'm not quite sure. I saw him, we talked for a bit, then he went upstairs in a fit.

TRUE.

Notes: Need to ask what they were talking about

YOU: Where was Mrs. Wellesley tonight?

KAUFMAN: Oh, probably... in the kitchen. I didn't see her.

LIE.

Notes: need to ask Mrs. Wellesley about seeing Kaufman

YOU: What did Mr. Wellesley sue you for?

KAUFMAN: Oh, something about plagiarism. It was complete rubbish.

LIE.

Notes: Need to know if he was lying about plagiarism or he was lying about it being rubbish

YOU: For how much money?

KAUFMAN: A few thousand dollars, it's all in the past now.

LIE.

Notes: Need to know if he is lying about the amount or if it is currently an issue

YOU: Are you familiar of the rare orchid in the trophy room?

KAUFMAN: What do you mean, boy? There aren't any flowers in his trophy room!

TRUE.

Notes: Gotcha! You have been into the trophy room!

YOU: You seem familiar with law. How would I go about charging the reporter for murder?

KAUFMAN: ...I am not familiar with this area. I believe that is up to you to decide. You should know how to do this by now, shouldn't you?

TRUE.

YOU: Have you heard of the suit of armor?

KAUFMAN: Oh, the murderer's costume. I'm not quite sure what it's all about, though. Do you have any idea?

TRUE.

I actually meant "How would one go about charging a suit of amour with murder?" but that is fine

INTERROGATION: WAYNE

YOU: Where were you at 10:00 PM?

WAYNE: Well, this was all at 10:00 PM. I saw a chance to get him alone, so naturally I went upstairs and tried to get my interview. But, when I was up there, I saw a suit of armor stabbing him in the back. I ran downstairs and I cried for help. By the time we came back, the murderer was gone, and the suit of armor was just kneeling there.

LIE.

Notes: Excited? Freaked out? or actual lie?

YOU: Who was with you?

WAYNE: No one. I wanted to get that interview alone.

TRUE.

Notes: I wonder who this might provide an alibi for? Need to ask if he knows where Mr Green, Mr Kaufman and Mrs W where during all this.

Edited by phaze

Oh; that's clever. That would explain a lot.

I'm getting an idea of the situation now. From what I can glean, Mrs. Wellesley was having an extramarital affair with Kaufman (or something along those lines)

But I'll get to that later. Some important points to note;

• Wayne claims that Wellesley looked "frightened", while Kaufman says he went off in a fit.
  • Kaufman claims he knew the inside of the trophy room
  • Mrs. Wellesley's deflection of the question about her whereabouts

There's another point I noted; the fact that the drink at the scene of the crime was a champagne; it's evident that Wellesley was a man who liked his scotch. Who had the champagne?

Another detail is the apparent speediness of the events. According to Wayne, Wellesley goes upstairs and is almost immediately killed; this is rather important.

Also notice that Wellesley went up in a huff; this rather muddles the idea of Green doing it; where was the time for him to get into costume?

ACTION: Surely there's a public record of the Wellesley/Kaufman case. I'm rather surprised we didn't get the file immediately.

For Glok:

http://brainden.com/forum/index.php/topic/15488-brian-dennis-warm-up/?p=327768

That's just a link to the post. Best I can do. Maybe just put that in the sig, with the date of how accurate it is. Then, when I get around to adding more just use the new link and new date.

Edited by Aaryan

Okay, I have to go right now, so I haven't written down the responses yet, but both of you! Very clever! Well done, my friends. I won't tell you where you're right or wrong, but I'll tell you both of you have a lot of things right and wrong. And with that cryptic message, I will see you tomorrow afternoon in my time.

@Cavenglock Is it possible for someone to don the suit of amour and move in it at any reasonable pace? I have kept in mind that it is rusty. Also are there people who for whatever reason cannot fit into the suit of armour? How much noise/vibrations would a rusty heavy suit of armour make when being worn in this fashion? Was Mr Wellesley wearing a hearing-aid/glasses or have you seen them anywhere?

MRS WELLESLEY

Do you think you are pregnant?

Does Micheal know or would you like to reconsider that offer of scotch?

Would you like to reconsider your answer about where you were at 10pm?

MR KAUFMAN

Is "Dancing" what they call it nowdays?

How long has your affair been going on?

Edited:

MRS WELLESLEY

How did you get the bruise on your knuckles?

Do you think you are pregnant?

Does Micheal know or would you like to reconsider that offer of scotch?

MR KAUFMAN

Is "Dancing" what they call it nowdays?

How long has your affair been going on?

Would you like to reconsider your answer about what you were suing Mr Wellesley for?

CORONOR

Can you determine if Mr Wellesley was conscious at time of death?

Theory: Mr Wellesley walked in on his wife and Mr Kaufman in the trophy room. Mrs Wellesley knocked him unconscious. Both her Kaufman (possibly with the help of Mr Green) set up the knight. The reporter caught them in the act but was persuaded not to talk in exchange for a signed confession previously written by Mr Wellesley about the court case with Mr Kaufman.

Edited by phaze

Orient Express type case? Possible, but there's a lot of facts to fill in. Still want to know the details of the case, but your idea may have merit.

Now to possibly shoot you down, Green was in the kitchen 10PM, and Kaufman (can other witnesses corroborate his story?) was behind Mr. Wellesley, if the latter was going upstairs.

@Aaryan Yes, I was not sure about Mr Green, but we have this interaction with Miss Howard

<quote>

YOU: Where was Mr. Green at 10 PM?

HOWARD: Oh, I dunno, probably shomewhere sherving drinks or whatever
butlersh do. Oh, never mind, he came in here! He wush telling me not to
drink. (looks at scotch) Oopsh.

</quote>

And we have the discrepancies between what the reporter thought Mr Wellesley looked liked (frightened) and what Mr Kaufman claimed he had a fit after they talked (which I assume Mr Wellesly would have had following a hurried conversation)