BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Who teaches so loudly??

bhramarraj

Question

The teachers Sushila, Lalita, Sushma and Prashant teach in a block of four different but adjacent class rooms numbered in order as A1, A2, A3, & A4. One of the teachers has his last name as Sharma. With the help of following clues find out last names of all the teachers and their class room numbers in which they teach:

1. Tripathi teaches so loud that her voice disturbs Mishra & Sushma, who teach in the classrooms adjacent to hers.

2. The four teachers are: Lalita, a teacher who teaches in classroom A2, Verma who does not teach in classroom A3, and only male teacher Prashant.

3. Sushma does not teach at either end of the classroom’s block.

Note: Verma, Sharma, Mishra, and Tripathi are the last names - written after first names.

21 answers to this question

I'm reaching an impossibility.

Prashant is the only male.

Sharma is HIS last name.

So Prashant Sharma is one piece of the puzzle. (per intro and clue 2)

Tripathi, Mishra and Sushma are three different people. (per clue 1)

Sushma can't be Sharma, Mishra or Tripathi so must be Verma.

Sushma Verma doesn't teach one either end block (clue 3) and Verma doesn't teach in A3 (clue 2).

That means Sushma Verma teaches in A2... but Lalita teaches in A2.

Anyone want to tell me where I went wrong?

I'm reaching an impossibility.

Prashant is the only male.

Sharma is HIS last name.

So Prashant Sharma is one piece of the puzzle. (per intro and clue 2)

Tripathi, Mishra and Sushma are three different people. (per clue 1)

Sushma can't be Sharma, Mishra or Tripathi so must be Verma.

Sushma Verma doesn't teach one either end block (clue 3) and Verma doesn't teach in A3 (clue 2).

That means Sushma Verma teaches in A2... but Lalita teaches in A2.

Anyone want to tell me where I went wrong?

Your interpretation of clue 2 is incorrect. At first I also got confused. Hint is the statement started with "The four teachers are...."

Your interpretation of clue 2 is incorrect. At first I also got confused. Hint is the statement started with "The four teachers are...."

I'm incorrect because you messed up your riddles?

You can't say one of the teachers has his last name Sharma and then mention that there is only one male teacher.

That means that his last name is Sharma

I'm incorrect because you messed up your riddles?

You can't say one of the teachers has his last name Sharma and then mention that there is only one male teacher.

That means that his last name is Sharma

I put this one down to the miscommunication of a non-official clue based on certain non-English languages having non-gender specific personal identifiers.

Thank you. You are absolutely right. Could anybody please give logical explaination also.

How this answer is absolutely correct... ???

Your clue 2 says... The four teachers are: Lalita, a teacher who teaches in classroom A2

As per above answer... A2 has Sushma... Are you sure of your puzzle... I think its all messed up...

I put this one down to the miscommunication of a non-official clue based on certain non-English languages having non-gender specific personal identifiers.

I am sorry, but if anybody has any doubt about any portion of the puzzle, e.g. about names gender etc, clarification might be asked for. However there was no need of separate clarification about the genders though. What so ever, there are correct solutions are also recieved. And I am also posting the correct solution here, with logical explanation.

From clue [1]: Tripathi teaches either in A2 or A3, so as to have two neighbors who get disturbed by her loud voice.

From clue [2]: There are four teachers, one is Lalita, second is a teacher who teaches in A2, third is Verma who does not teach in A3, and fourth teacher is Prashant – the only male teacher.

Here clue [2] becomes very informative as it reveals following additional facts also:

(a) Lalita does not teach in A2.

(b) Last name of Lalita is not Verma.

© Last name of Prashant is not Verma.

(d) Verma does not teach in A2 (as well in A3, as already mentioned in OP).

(e) Prashant does not teach in A2, (it is obvious because as per narration in OP also, Tripathi is a lady teacher).

From clue [3]: Sushma does not teach at either end of classrooms block, therefore she teaches either in A2 or A3.

ASSUMPTION 1:

Let us assume Tripathi teaches in A2, then Sushma and Mishra would teach in adjacent rooms A1 & A3. Then from clue [3], Sushma would teach in A3, and hence Mishra would teach in A1.

From clue [2] first name of teacher in A2 should not be Lalita; Sushma and Prashant do not teach in A2, and then only first name remains for teacher in A2 is Sushila.

From clue [2], last name of Sushma (being the class teacher in A3) could not be Verma, and Mishra and Tripathi are the last names of teachers in A1 and A2 respectively. So only last name remains for Sushma is Sharma.

Now only class room remained for Verma is A4. Also as per clue [2]©, Prashant could not have Verma as his last name. So only last name remained for Prashant is Mishra. Then only Lalita could have her last name as verma which is contradictory to the conclusion 9b0 of clue [2].

Therefore Tripathi does not teach in classroom A2 but teaches in classroom A3.

Sushma and Mishra teach in adjacent classrooms A2 & A4. Sushma does not teach at the end of the block, so she teaches in A2, and Mishra teaches in A4.

As per clue [2](d), Sushma is not Verma, Mishra teaches in A4, Tripathi teaches in A3, then only last name remains for her is ‘Sharma’.

Hence SUSHMA SHARMA teaches in A2.

From clue [2]©, Prashant is not Verma. Tripathi is a lady, so Prashant is not Tripathi. So prashant has only one option left – his last name is Mishra.

Hence PRASHANT MISHRA teaches in A4.

Lalita is not Verma as per clue [2](b), therefore Sushila is Verma, and remaining Lalita is Tripathi.

Hence LALITA TRIPATHI teaches in A3.

And SUSHILA VERMA teaches in A1.

How could anybody interpret like that....?

Seriously?

His = masculine.

Saying that one has HIS last name as Sharma.

Saying that Prashant is the only MALE teacher.

MALE and HIS go together meaning that Prashant is Sharma.

Let's use a different term instead of his/male...

Let's say that one has an ASIAN last name of Sharma.

Let's say that Prashant is the only ASIAN.

They go together like that?

It is fine if English isn't your first language, but to claim I'm wrong because of your lack of knowledge is just insulting.

Every logic puzzle I've done had all the clues in a list. The descriptive text was never used as a clue.

It was misleading to use "One of the teachers has his last name as Sharma" instead of "One of the teachers has the last name of Sharma" but since it wasn't in the clue list why use it as a clue?

Every logic puzzle I've done had all the clues in a list. The descriptive text was never used as a clue.

It was misleading to use "One of the teachers has his last name as Sharma" instead of "One of the teachers has the last name of Sharma" but since it wasn't in the clue list why use it as a clue?

Because it is still a clue.

Why mention that there is only one male teacher then?

That is listed in the clues.

Because the translation program s/he used is silly? ( The "last name as Sharma" part seems really weird to me when I say it out loud. I wasn't a fan of English class, is this a correctly formed sentence? )

A typo?

Because s/he is performing an experiment based upon our reaction to said "clue".

The electronic internet kittehs that live in the net got the words mixed up when delivering the post to the database.

I favor #4 personally.

btw, I did find this puzzle somewhat amusing when I made the standard box thing and filled it in. ( The one most logic puzzle use. Does it have a name? )

-edit-

And I just realized that internet kittehs that live in the net is redundant but in a fun way.

Edited by curr3nt

Because the translation program s/he used is silly? ( The "last name as Sharma" part seems really weird to me when I say it out loud. I wasn't a fan of English class, is this a correctly formed sentence? )

A typo?

Because s/he is performing an experiment based upon our reaction to said "clue".

The electronic internet kittehs that live in the net got the words mixed up when delivering the post to the database.

I favor #4 personally.

btw, I did find this puzzle somewhat amusing when I made the standard box thing and filled it in. ( The one most logic puzzle use. Does it have a name? )

-edit-

And I just realized that internet kittehs that live in the net is redundant but in a fun way.

A typo?

I favor #4 personally.

-edit-

Really a typo error there in the sentence, The sentence should be "One of the teacher's last name is Sharma." Thank you all for pointing it out. But the puzzle I found interesting. It was actually published in a Magazine, and the names used were strange to me. So I replaced the names. However I appologise for the inconvenience caused to some of the friends. Edited by bhramarraj